visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

2015 National Narrow Gauge Convention model contest entries

I was in the contest room at the 2015 National Narrow Gauge Convention when Karl brought in his contest entry. It is a great build. Fantastic job, Karl.

Jaime
www.narrowperspective.com

Comments

• Thanks Jamie.
    Thanks also for posting that great picture.

Karl. A
  • Wow Karl that there is what I call amazing modeling. Where can I see more of this build of your?
    Lynn
  • It hasn't been posted anywhere Lynne. There are no pictures of it online.
    I'll post some when I get home.

Karl. A
  • edited September 2015
    Some more of the SierraWest entries in the contest room.

I don't know whos shipyard/foss' combo this is but it is superb.

Tony is here also with his excellent HO Locoshop. Hopefully I'll bump into him at some point.

More later.

Karl.A
  • Whoa Karl!! Just looking at this I need to get inside what a great looking diorama.
    Looks like were going for best in show and I haven't even seen the rest of it.

Good luck my friend.

Jerry
  • Amazing work . Keep the pics coming Karl.
  • Thanks for the wishes and kind words jerry. Fingers are crossed. Gotta wait till tomorrow.
    Thanks lynn. I'll post some more tomorrow.

Karl. A
  • Here are a couple of photos of Ron and Sons Shipyard, a contest entry in the diorama category made up of Sierra West kits.

Brett's presence a the convention is surely missed.

Jaime
  • Here are a few photos of a Loco Shop in HO in the contest room.

Jaime
  • I believe this is Tony's diorama. Really interesting how Tony constructed the roof to be completely removable. Nicely done Tony....Ken
  • edited September 2015
    Here are a few more of Karl's entry in the contest.

Karl's entry received 2nd place in the Dioramas category and it also received a special award from Mt. Albert Scale Lumber Company, The Midwood Memorial Award.

Congratulations to Karl!

Jaime
  • Great photos and way to go Karl, well deserved.
  • Outstanding Karl! Too much to comment on individually and the images are teasers for sure. Can't wait to see more detailed photos. That rusted old metal barrel is wonderful as are all the details, the stacked pallets, old car shop windows, jib crane, machinery, etc..oh..oh...I get all psyched up just talking about it!...drop me a line you get home...beautiful work Karl...
    Ken
  • Congrats Karl ,superb modeling!
  • Congrats Karl,
    Honestly can't believe there was something better at the show. Truly amazing and inspiring work. I would love to see a series/thread on this build and the various techniques used to achieve such realism. Stunning and "Best in Show" in my books.
  • I believe this is Tony's diorama. Really interesting how Tony constructed the roof to be completely removable. Nicely done Tony....Ken
    Thanks Ken, yes, you are right, it is mine. I was in total amazement about Karl's O scale diorama though. He had it so you could remove, not only the roof, but a couple of side walls too, so you can really get in there to see the details. It was great to meet him, and we talked for quite some time. I was surprised, however, that I didn't get a mention anywhere else (except here of course). When Karl got his special award from Mt. Albert, the presenter of the award said he had never seen drawers in a bench made of wood before. I don't think he saw mine, as I too had operating wood drawers in my benches. Karl did a fantastic job, and I was surprised he didn't come first, he deserved it, a lot of work went into that model. He and I as well as Roger Malinowski and his wife, and the guys from Best Models all had a drink together on the last night after the awards ceremony. Thanks for the beer Karl, enjoyed the camaraderie. First award ceremony I went to. I had a great time, and Houston was a cool place to visit. Brett, I did miss meeting you though. It's funny, every time I asked where you were (thinking you would be there), someone swore they saw you.
  • By the way, I have posted 51 pictures of Karl's model on my Facebook page if you care to go and see them.
    https://www.facebook.com/tony.burgess.75248/media_set?set=a.1280413508651667.1073741837.100000490915525&type=3&uploaded=51

In an album called "Karl's O scale model of the Loco & Service Shops"

If the link doesn't work, go to my page and click photos and albums. https://www.facebook.com/tony.burgess.75248