visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Alc and india ink

edited September 2015 in New Kit Information
Hi guys, I will be starting a Sierra West build in the next week or so but before I do I'd like to get the technique down for staining the wood. I have what I believe are the correct supplies needed, Rembrant sticks, non waterproof india ink and 90% alcohol. I understand the concept of first detailing the wood with a wire brush and then scrapping rembrant pastel on the wood and using the alchohol to fix it in place. My question is should I mix a batch of the non waterproof india ink and alcohol to First stain the strip wood and then apply the rembrant pastels or skip the a/i staining and go directly to the rembrant pastels. I don't want to mess up these great kits and would really like to here the recommendations.
Thanks
Lynn

Comments

• It's not necessary to pre-stain the wood before the chalks. You definitely want to stain after the chalks.
  • edited September 2015
    I only pre-stain the stripwood with the india ink when I grain and detail if I want a darker base to start with for techniques that need a contrasting base like a peeling paint. Staining after will make details pop. I suggest experimenting and see what you like best. These techniques are very forgiving and have a lot of possibilities. Just don't use too much chalk obliterating the subtle details and thus all of the character!
  • I couldn't agree with Brett more. The biggest mistake I make as a novice is loading on too much chalk. The good news is that if you do, washing with alcohol will help get back the subtle details. Phil
  • It's not necessary to pre-stain the wood before the chalks. You definitely want to stain after the chalks.
    Thanks Bryan, question though, if you stained with A/I after the chalks wouldn't it remove the chalk off the surface?
    Lynn

• I only pre-stain the stripwood with the india ink when I grain and detail if I want a darker base to start with for techniques that need a contrasting base like a peeling paint. Staining after will make details pop. I suggest experimenting and see what you like best. These techniques are very forgiving and have a lot of possibilities. Just don't use too much chalk obliterating the subtle details and thus all of the character!
    Thanks Brett, I did do some experimenting last year and with summer coming to a close will be back at it again. Last year I used the waterproof india ink and now have the non waterproof ink which if I remember correctly you had said makes a difference in the finish with the chalks.
    Lynn

• I couldn't agree with Brett more. The biggest mistake I make as a novice is loading on too much chalk. The good news is that if you do, washing with alcohol will help get back the subtle details. Phil
    Thanks Phil good tip.
    Lynn

Thanks Bryan, question though, if you stained with A/I after the chalks wouldn't it remove the chalk off the surface?
    Lynn

It will not remove the chalk. I usually load a brush and touch it to the board so it flows over the board and into the grain instead of brushing it on.

One step I use to clean out the grain is to lightly brush with a brass brush or stiff plastic brush. This takes care of any excess chalk that has gunked up the subtle details. Follow this with the IA wash.

As you can see from the variety of replies to your question, there is more than one way to skin this cat. Play around with different techniques and see which one you like best.
  • Ok Thanks Bryan