visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Grandma "bonked"

My wife Joanne had a nasty fall two weeks ago last Saturday and in the words of our grandkids "bonked" her head. She was discharged from the hospital after 15 days and moved to a transitional rehab care facility where she will spend the next couple of weeks doing physical and occupational therapy.

Joanne broke a couple of bones in her neck and had to undergo an agonizing 6½ hour surgery to fix the C-3, C-4, and part of C-5 cervical spine, and will wear a collar brace for at least six weeks. The neurosurgeon told Joanne how lucky she was that the break was fixable. She is now walking and getting stronger. She is able to eat somewhat solid foods after 12 days of IV feeding.

While in the hospital a doctor was examining and talking to her and noticed on the monitor that her heart "paused" for a few seconds. While we had assumed Joanne fainted in the bathroom after using an inhaler for a breathing problem that caused the fall, (she was getting ready to go to a train club open house) it turned out that one of these heart pauses was the culprit. That day a temporary Pacemaker was installed, and two days later a permanent one was placed. Again the cardiac surgeon told her how lucky she was, that my lovely wife of 47 years was in the cardiac care unit when the event occurred.

Joanne responded that you doctors are right, but all of this "good luck" she is having is really tough on her. We are blessed to have incredible medical care here in the Twin Cities. Her neurosurgeon is one of the world's best, and her Cardiologist is a Fellow from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The team (I counted over 500 caregivers in the more than two weeks hospitalization) was really incredibly competent and caring. All but the last two days were in Intensive Care. Obviously she is a battler, and I am glad I was home with her and not away at some silly train show when this happened.

Your perspective changes from something like this. All five kids gathered from California and from here to support their Mom. I'm really glad I called 911, as the first inclination was to get her into the car and to the ER. They said don't move her, and the First Responders with ambulance and squad cars were at our house in five minutes.

I haven't done any modeling for awhile, much less posting any where. Joanne requests no cards or money, but good thoughts and prayers are fine.

Comments

• Wow, what a story - I kept waiting for the punch line... Please give Joanne my best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
  • And don't lose sight of the fact she had a loving husband right there at hand to respond to the event and call 911--not everyone is so blessed!
  • Mike, your wife is in my thoughts and prayers. Here's to a very speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Phil
  • Best wishes to you both Mike. Between the hospital and the family she is being very well cared for. I hope for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself also.

Karl.
  • edited July 2015
    Good to hear all is well. I understand that the Doctor told Mike's wife Joanne that she needed to get rid of the stress in her life...and they both looked over at Mike sitting in a chair and said "he's still there!"
  • Holy cow, Mike! Sounds like she's in great hands. Those folks at Mayo are top notch--based on first hand experience.
    All the best to you and Joanne!
  • Sorry to hear this news Mike, I hope and pray all goes well with Joanne.

Paul

• Here is a good update. Joanne came home today exactly one month to the day after her fall- two weeks and one day in the hospital (all but three days in intensive care), and two weeks and two days at the rehab center. She has a neck collar that she will wear for several more weeks and uses a walker but is progressing rapidly toward not needing that. The various therapies have helped immensely and she is really working on the rehab.

Thank all of you for your kind thoughts, prayers, and support. I might even dust off the mine diorama this week, as even big-time caregivers get a little modeling time.
  • Mike, glad to about the great progress.
  • edited July 2015
    Wonderful news Mike, so glad to read that Joanne is home and doing well.
    You have both been in my thoughts.

Take care and we'll talk soon.
    Karl.A