visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#8087 The Wood Cutters Shack

edited May 2011 in HO Scale Builds
thanks Karl, I'd love to have a go at O scale someday but have a lot of HO stuff to enjoy building yet.
I am currently building the HO wood cutters shack, here are a couple of pics of the oil/fuel tank.
Do you guys think I have enough oil leakage, I'm not sure if I should add a bit more.
The rust looks a lot better in real life, appears a bit chunky in the photos.
Suggestions welcome
imageimageimage
cheers
Dave
I haven't finished the base yet, the boards underneath are the floor for the shack.

Comments

• Love the tank.... oil stains looking good
  • here are a few under construction pics. The curve in the walls is something to do with the new camera that I haven't worked out yet. I have omitted pics of the other walls as they are pretty much the same as these.

the floor basically complete

the shed wall prior to cleanup and weathering this wall shows the original stain coloring for all the walls which is golden oak.

the interior front wall, I'm thinking about lining the inside of the walls with hessian sacking or flatten kerosene tins , any advice would be appreciated.

exterior front wall basically complete

side wall which is a little darker than the front wall, my excuse is that it's been in the shade more
    any comments/suggestions welcome
    cheers
    Dave
  • Dave...
    Visually interesting with all of the of color variation in the boards. Great looking board edges where they are cut off for the deck, great how they are not straight across with some set back just a bit, but not overly done.
  • Looking really good Dave, I like the board colour variation.

You mentioned "golden oak" ,....... I recognise this as a MinWax stain colour... is that the case?

Your nail holes/heads are about the best I've seen in HO.
    They look the right size and not over emphasized in any way, ....nice work.

Karl.A
  • The stain is an oil based wood stain but I should imagine the color would be very similar. I have completed a few more bits and pieces .
    Here are a few pictures of the progress. The base is not the final base just used for sitting on for photos.
    I decided to have a go at putting sacking (burlap) lining on the inside, I think it turned out ok.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Spent the morning cutting small logs for the firewood bit. I am currently living on a 2400 acre farm and there is an endless supply of natural scenery material.
    cheers
    Dave
  • I will need to do some work on the shingles they seem a bit flat.
  • edited May 2011
    Here are some final images of the woodcutters shack.
    I decided to make it an evening smoko scene just for something different.
    I also took a leaf out of another thread and created a swampy creek along one side. I think it turned out ok.

cheers
    Dave
  • Hi Dave:

Looks really good. I appreciate you posting the pics for all to see. I especially like the last one. Your wood piles look great - nothing like the real thing! The dry creek bed looks great as well especially under the track. Small details like this really add greatly to your scene.
  • Really nice work Dave. Like Brett, I also really like the last picture.. somehow it brings the diorama to life on the 'big screen' as I think one can really get a feel for all of the details in addition to the scenery which you have included.
  • Great work and pictures Dave, I like the low angle shots, such as 1+3 where you have blended the background real trees in very well.
    Some very nice modelling throughout indeed.

Karl.
  • Looks great, Dave. In addition to what others have posted, your photography is spot on! Are your trees made from Super Tree material (the 2 larger ones in back, specifically)? Where'd your figures come from?
  • thanks guys
    Bill the smaller trees are from woodland scenics and the larger ones are from Heki.
    The people are selected from my collection of unpainted preiser figures. I think the poses work quite nicely for a relaxed scene.
  • I really like how you've extended the scene a little and photographed it outside.
    This kit is what I really consider my first "craftsman" structure.
    You can see my progress on my website:
    http://jim.wanlass.com/mr/jt/craftsmen/woodcutter/index.html
    It won an award too! Seems like so long ago...
  • Great Job and Congrats on the win, I will be using all the great pics on here to help me along with my build, this is a great little craftsman kit to start with.