visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Anyone planning on attending the NMRA 2015 National Convention in Portland?

Portland, Oregon that is...

Comments

• When is it Mike ?
  • Portland??? Please tell me more - I can drive there from Seattle in a couple of hours. Who among us is considering attendance?

John
  • edited January 2015
    Shortcut to the dates: August 23 - 29, 2015. I'm already registered but don't let that stop you! Driving distance from Bothell, done it so many times I think I could do it with my eyes closed (which my wife has accused me of doing BTW).
  • Mike,
    What are your intentions regarding lodging, etc., etc?
    Thanks,
    John
  • Hotel (which one uncertain at the moment); planning to drive down. Unfortunately my favorite hobby shop in Forest Grove (quite a way west of Portland) went to online sales only so I won't be going there. Haven't really finalized many other decisions. You might want to PM me on this subject.
  • JohnM, did you get a message I sent to your inbox (possibly twice, can't tell for sure)?
  • Mike,
    Yes, thank you. I just noticed and replied there. I'll start watching the site and make my arrangements when availability permits.
    John
  • For anyone interested in attending, reservations are now being accepted by the convention hotel: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/R/RLLC-DT-MRA-20150819/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
  • I reserved a room for Monday and Tuesday night that week. John, we will definitely get together. Phil
  • edited February 2015
    Phil,

Excellent! I will be there. Am studying the schedule to try to learn what I want to do.
    John
  • Where did you find a schedule to study? I've not been able to find much specific detail yet.

Mike
  • Ditto. Can you point us in the right direction? Phil
  • The latest issue of the NMRA magazine has info in it on the Modeling With the Masters clinics (extra cost for materials), Layout Tours, General Interest (generally non-RR) tours, and Prototype/Industrial tours; the general clinics are not listed and I have yet to see a list of those.
  • I plan on being there with the Sierra West O scale sawmill diorama in hand, or should I say in a really big box? Fran and I will travel by RV and stay in the Portland area for the event. I will enter the NMRA model contest. It would be great to see some of you who have followed the build on the Sierra West Forum.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • That alone will make the drive down from Seattle worthwhile!
  • Thanks Mike, hope we can meet up at the show...Joe
  • Phil, I see you plan on Monday & Tuesday. Mike & Joe, are those good days for you as well? I want to see all of you but am thinking an entire week would be a lot. Is there a consensus on days?
    John
  • At the moment I have my hotel booked for the entire show since I don't know exactly what the clinic schedule will be. I'm thinking about attending the HO turnout building class on Tuesday evening. Big problem scheduling anything with so little finalized. Anyone find any info on getting to specific layout tours? Some would require more than a little commute time.
  • Hi Mike & John: This is also an RV trip for us, so will be staying at a local RV park (TBD). At a minimum, I'll be there for the contest opening day and the last day to pick up the diorama. I also will spend some time at the National Train Show. Not sure of the dates at this time....Joe
  • I'm on the email list for the convention but I don't remember anything being sent out on this; some useful information on the clinics to be offered:

http://www.nmra2015.org/clinics

Follow the various threads chaining off this, there are clinics relating to logging, sawmills and even box factories (you listening Brett?).
  • Hi: Update- We are definitely going to the Nationals and will enter the SierraWest sawmill in the contest. We will be staying at the Red Lion Inn. I will enter the sawmill first thing Monday a.m. 8/24. I'm planning on attending the "Meet the Modeler" on Tuesday 8/25 at 1:00 p.m. If any of you are around, maybe we could meet up there. Will probably stay around for a couple of hours......Joe
  • I was scheduled to go, but had to cancel. I live too far away from Portland now. Phil
  • Awesome news Joe, the first showing at a major and your work is definitely ahead of the running in my opinion. Good luck, I wish I could be there to see it in person, and vote for it !!

Karl.A
  • Sorry you can't make the show.

Thanks Karl, I'll need all the luck to do well. I'm sure the competition well be awesome. Win, loose or draw, I am absolutely thrilled about the outcome of the final diorama....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Joe, you don't worry your skill will show through.