visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#303 O Scale Rigging Shed - Karl.A

edited November 2021 in Finished SW Build Pics
Here are a few old shots of my finished Rigging Shed

If anyone else has finished this kit please share your pics here with us. Thanks,

Karl.A

Comments

• When I grow up......I wanna be like Karl........
    Very nice build......Dont know which kit to get now!
    ;-)
  • edited June 2011
    Nice build Karl. I still really love the coloring of the wire rope on the spools.

Geezer... In the worst case, just flip a coin because you know that you're going to end up building a lot of Brett's kits... The big thing is to get going on that next build, no matter what kit it is. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the next kit.
  • Karl, Did you do a build thread for this kit? If so it would have been studpendous. I am drueling over these Pics. To the point. I recently bought this kit from Brent and it will be my first O scale build of any kind and may well have questions. I have ordered the Saw Mill and have part 3 ( stripwood) and expecting 308 (a) in the near future. I have an HOn3 layout, but eye sight is fading a little, so O Scale should be a little more comfortable.
  • Karl, fantastic work as usual.
  • You will enjoy this kit Jim. It was my first O scale kit a long long time ago.
  • Should know how to spell by now! Sent before proofing.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks so much for the kind words Jim, and Pap.
    As Bryan said it is a great kit, it was my second SWSM, following my Tool Shed build.

I did do a full build thread on this kit Jim but it was long before we had started the SierraWest Forum so it is over on the RRL.

I'll upload some summary pics of the build here if there is any interest in seeing the build progress through the process.

If you do have any of those questions you mentioned Jim don't hesitate to ask, myself and several others here will be more than happy to answer anything you need to know, as usual though, the manual will guide you through every step along the way.

Thanks again.
  • Fantastic as always. We just ordered this one today. Looking forward to seeing it come to life.
  • Thanks again Karl. Just doing initial planning. First thing to do after texturing, is to color the wall boards. As in your build the exterior should be a varying ( blended) deep weathered grey. You have a squib on that in one of your listed threads. Rembrandt chalk warm grey 704.??. Dark, medium, light. Also, thinking the inside of the boards would have a different color. You have a description of how to do that in your current #301 logging and tractor repair shop build. All of this is a really good. Yes it would be really great to see some more out of the old RRL build. Very pleased to know that there is so much info on this great SWSM older kit available from the Masters. Your photos are most helpful and set the standard for this kit.
    Jim
  • Karl, Searched RRL for your Rigging Shed build, but could not find anything. Found O Tool Shed ( it would be helpful also I am sure). Perhaps you can point it out for those who may have an interest. RRL as you know did a recent upgrade and perhaps it has been relocated?
  • This is a classic "classic" build! Wow, almost eleven years old.
  • Karl wrote at the beginning of this thread.

'If anyone else has finished this kit please share your pics HERE with us. Thanks,'

So I don't think I am hijacking his thread and it looks like it's been picked up again after all these years... so, if I am trespassing , admin, just remove it...
    Here a few photos (as a teaser of my finished build) and the link to my building thread.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1135/roberts-rigging-shed#latest

GW9ASF8FA2HE

F3ZZXTVOK7CI

JPCAK1JK2Z46

M5OGKEOADSMA

VCBHHJTH5K0V

TZ052E9ILT3S

Robert :wink:
  • Wow, great to see these and thank you for posting them.

NOT hijacking when the author invites additional posting. Your consideration is so appreciated Robert!
  • Geeez Robert...this is amazing! Has your signature appearance and feel. Again, have to mention your wood treatment, so good. Well done as usual.
  • You guys do such fantastic work!
  • edited January 2022
    No intrusion at all Robert as I had asked for others to join in with their builds, it is great to see other modelers versions of this great kit, and your build is a most welcomed addition to the thread.

Fantastic results with this great kit Robert and Bryan. Amazing how a great kit with some added imagination can produce such varied and excellent results from different modelers.

JimK, I used 704.5 on the Tractor Repair, 704.3 is also good.
    I couldn't find my Rigging Shed build thread over there either, several of my many builds over there seem to be impossible to find.

I still have all the pics used in the build thread saved on this PC so I can still post the construction progression here.

I did the build back in 2009...

• Oh Robert, quit trying to fool us, those are pictures of your shed in your back yard. And Karl, very nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2022
    First installment on building this great kit is building the walls.
    All steps were done exactly as described in the manual.

Started 12/16/09

The actual colour of the structure is the grey,
    this looks different on some pictures due to the lighting.

Notice where the boards are missing that there are still nail holes in the studs to show that at one time in the past there used to be nails and a board there, a subtle, but effective small detail.

Next post I'll dig out and resize the construction pictures of the removeable roof.
  • An amazing kit! So many fine builds. Thanks everyone for the inspiration.
  • Karl, This is over the top...going the extra mile by recreating a build of many years past. It will be most helpful as I get started with my build. Perhaps what is going on here will generate more interest in this very cool kit. I have been reading the manual in preparation of beginning and note that the coloring of the wall frames involves thinned floquil paint. Do you have any thoughts for s substitute. AI and chalk comes to mind?? Thank you.
  • Karl, may have answered the question about coloring wall frames and Floquil alternative. Reference to Loco and Service Shops kit on the shelf and in that build shades of raw umber chalks are bloted on the frame in sections dampened with AI. Seems like that should work. Thanks.
  • Use the chalk technique for the framing Jim... 408.3 and 408.5 are good randomly
  • edited January 2022
    I see we cross posted Jim and you have found your own answer.
  • edited January 2022
    Oh, as a side note, and not sure if you actually meant it or it is just a habit when you are typing.
    Dont use AI to apply the chalks... just use clean Alcohol... hence C&A... (Chalk & Alcohol).

AI (Alcohol & Ink) can be used later for further weathering if needed or wanted.

I just wanted to clarify that for anyone new reading who isn't familiar with the phrases or techniques.
  • Just habit and I be an older gent who makes mental errors frequently.
  • Thanks Jim, glad it's going to help you.

Posted 12/20/09

Brett provides one laser cut truss in the kit, I used this as a template and made two more trusses so that I could make the roof removeable.

• Love that “super” weathering! Thanks for opening your archives!
  • Karl, Thank you for these additional pics from the build. Good to know how you made the removable roof. I plan to do the same. Learned a few years ago that the layout design software that I have been using ( 3rd PlanIt) for 20 years has a feature whereby scratch built parts can be accurately designed with printable drawings.
  • Another excellent build. I really like the detail of the nail holes in the studs. A detail I would not have thought to add. Looking forward to the rest of the build. Randy