visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Woodcutter's Shack - HO - My First SW kit

Comments

• Ahh...no worries Phil, minor stuff. The camera is very unforgiving, and at scale it will look great.
  • edited February 2015
    Tank looks great. As Ken says, the subtle light rusting around the rivets is great and the faded black with the grey chalk gives it an aged look without it looking decrepit and falling apart. The leak from the patch is a nice touch and not overly done.

Nicely done.

Karl.A
  • Again, I appreciate all the feedback. It all leads to better craftsmanship. Phil
  • edited February 2015
    The tank does look great. Nice job on it.
  • That turned out fantastic.
  • The Tank Looks Great!

Alan
  • Me thinks he has got it!,,,

Marty
  • Thanks all. Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out. Phil
  • The castings are done!!!! See the collection below.

Now, I need your collective help. I'm trying to put the legs on the benches. I've tried a 5-minute epoxy, but I just could get the legs to cooperate. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to best put the legs on??? Thanks in advance. Phil
  • BTW no one can say that Brett doesn't provide enough castings.
  • edited February 2015
    Did you sand the bottom of the benches to give them some tooth for the epoxy to grab onto ?
    Did you square off the ends of the legs with a true sander ?

The collection of castings looks great, nice job on them all.

Karl.A
  • Yes on both. Maybe I'm using a bad epoxy. Which is the best epoxy? Phil
  • Phil,

The castings look GREAT . . .

John
  • Great casting work. Time well spent as they make a big difference and poorly done ones really stand out. However, when properly done blend seamlessly and tie the scene together and give it so much character. Your "Shack" already has character as it sets!
  • Thanks John and Ken. Now to figure out how to put the legs on the tables. I really struggle with this. Phil
  • Dave, what a great idea!!! I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help. Phil
  • Well Phil, it looks like you've got this stuff down! Great continued progress. You got exellent advice on your castings and the results show the re-do paid off.

I agree with what ken said about the oil tank on the platform: you might want to dirty it up a bit with some spills and stains from oil drippings. Not too much--go slow and build it up with applications of light A/I, maybe some chalks and a drop of paint here and there.

Are you bringing this along to the Expo?

Bill

• edited March 2015
    Looking great Phil, everything is progressing nicely.

As for the epoxy, one thing I personally have trouble with is just leaving it the heck alone... I find myself going in after an hour or so to give it a little 'wiggle' to see if its cured yet.
    Best advice I can give you is do it late in the work session and then walk away and leave it alone. After 30 mins I'll check to make sure everything is still straight and maybe adjust as necessary, carefully, and then leave it alone, preferably until the next morning, but at least a few hours undisturbed. 5 min epoxy still needs quite some time to cure.
  • Thanks Bill and Karl. Great advice.

I'm hoping to finish the build soon, but I've been distracted by my 1:1 life. I sold my house in just under 3 weeks and just got back from a house-hunting trip in Arkansas where I will be relocating to be near my kids and grandkids in early May. I found a house with a 12X18 train room. I can't wait to get to the design phase so I can incorporate the Deer Creek timber scene with the Twin Mills sawmill as the principal focal point, a small mining scene (yes Brent you changed my mind) and a regular town scene. It will be a predominately Sierra West layout. I'll start a new thread when I'm ready.

Unfortunately, Bill, I'm not coming to the Expo this year, but I am hopeful for next year. Phil
  • Phil,
    I too am new to the Sierra West forum having joined a little over a year ago just in time to purchase one of the last Tool Shed and Line Side Storage Shed kits from Brett. Due to other projects on my bench, I started the Tool Shed on Feb. 8 and am almost finished with painting the details. Will post some pictures when I get my camera issues corrected.

Your self confessed perfectionism really shows in your building. It's nice to follow along with another SW beginner. I always learn so much from our mentor's comments, e.g. Karl A., Ken and Bill.

You are doing a great job.

David U
  • Thanks David. I look forward to your pictures. I plan to build the tool shed. Phil
  • In honor of the convention this week, I thought I would treat you all to the FINISHED!! Woodcutter's Shack. I can't thank you all enough for hand-holding me through my very first build. I took every one of your comments and suggestions to heart. I am very proud of the finished product. I know it's not perfect, but it really shows that a beginner can produce a quality product with the help of his esteemed colleagues. Enjoy!!

• That"s a model anyone would be proud of. The dio turned out fantastic.
  • Fantastic Job...and great shots of all the different angles.

Alan
  • Truly outstanding job. You have given me quite a lot to live up to when I get to the Shack. I'm going to start the Lineside Shed soon.

David U
  • Nice little dio that will look great on a shelf or a layout. Excellent work for your first kit.
  • Very, very well done Phil. The colors blend seamlessly and your treatment and arrangement of the castings and clutter is great. Cabin roof and siding are fantastic. The roofs are the first thing that draws your eye and you have worked those up perfectly. Great photography as well.
  • Thanks all for your kind words. I feel a sense of relief since I didn't know what to expect when I started the project. However, I am armed with more confidence for the next build. However, first I have to move. Phil
  • I received some inquiries about how I did the cedar shingles. I just followed Bill's technique, which can be found on page 3 of his Quincy Salvage build. It was easy to follow and do. Thanks Bill. Phil