visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Woodcutter's Shack - HO - My First SW kit

Comments

• Ok guys - I've torn down my layout, carefully packed away everything and the house is on the market. However, I made sure I kept at least two of Brett's kits handy for building. I've been busy following Karl's superb tutorial on the painting of castings. Karl, you did an outstanding job on the tutorial and as a beginner, I appreciated the detail. I'm getting to the last steps, but I want to publish one photo of two cabinets that I finished last night. On the more involved one, I did tone the barrel down a bit. The bands were a bit too bright. Please review and give me your suggestion for improving. Phil
  • Overall I think you did a fine job painting the castings. The colors work together and nothing stands out as too bright. And no painting "outside the lines" which is hard to do on that cluttered casting.

There are a couple of things you could consider if you are looking to add on:

A light dry brushing might help define the individual barrels on the shelf. A barnwood gray or sand color would be nice...maybe even both.

A light dusting of powder would give a look that things have stood around for a while.

One that I have been trying lately is to take the alcohol that you have been coloring wood with--you know, the stuff with all of the chalk still left in it--shake it up and wash it on. It will add a fine layer of "dust" around the ridges of everything.

Maybe rust up 1 of the barrel heads in the pile on the middle shelf.

Try a box or 2 on top of the shelves.

Then there is the old fallback...a wash of IA over the wood to pick up the grain.
  • Bryan, thanks for the ideas. Greatly appreciated. When you say a "light dusting of powder" what color do you use? Phil
  • I like a light brown for mine. Sometimes a light gray.
  • Too many black objects on the shelves Phil. They blend together. Try an olive green can, off white, maroon, grey, etc... then blend together with chalk like Bryan mentions to blend and homogenize the colors. Paint right over the black if you like. don't start over...
  • Great feedback Brett. I'll do it. Phil.
  • Lids also Brett?
  • As Brett says, paint directly over the black, this will allow for some good effects later if you wish.
    The other thing I noticed is that all of your wooden items are very similar, the shelf, the barrel, the boxes. Try to vary the tones a little more to make the items stand out.
    Thanks for your comments on the detail thread, if you revisit page two you will notice how much colour is shown in the beginning, and then how it is subdued, yet still keeps its definition and individuality. Also note the differences in wood colours.

Your execution is crisp and clean with good sharp lines. Varying the colours a little more will enhance this even more.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl. I need to believe more in the method. It seems counter-intuitive to add so much color, but I get it. I'll get there through lots of practice and great feedback. Phil
  • Ok! I took all the great advice above and gave it another crack. Below is the before and after picture. Any other suggestions. I'm learning!! The absorption rate is sometimes slower with guys like me.

Thanks again. Phil
  • So, so much better.... the shelf unit has been around a while, the box and barrel not so much, nice differentiation.
    The metal drums/items look different from each other giving definition but are similar so they all fit together well.
    Nice subtle chip effects on the red/blue drum, wear and tear but not too much. maybe a TINY amount of dry rust chalk (408.3) with a small brush just on the chips and then blown off.. not essential, practice first. easy to overdo, looks good as is.

Great update, keep it going..

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl. That means a lot. I'll keep plugging away. I had put rust on the small scratches, but when I toned down the red and blue, it covered up the rust. Phil
  • Looking nice Phil. An interesting contrast.
    John
  • Thanks John. It's pretty simple - I just have to listen to all the great suggestions and advice. Phil
  • That made a world of difference. Looks great.
  • Bryan, I appreciate your help and suggestions. Phil
  • Nothing like a long weekend to make some progress. Painting the castings is hard, but certainly with the quality of Brett's castings, the end result is great. I followed Karl's and Brett's methods. See the pictures below. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do know now that practice makes perfect.

Phil
  • Awesome !

Karl. A
  • Thanks Karl. I still need help on the big barrel. I sent you an e-mail. I'm not sure how to tackle it. What do you suggest? Phil
  • What Karl said. I am impressed 'cause I'm a beginner myself and still trying to get the castings to come out like yours, and I still haven't achieved the level you show. Great.

• I also am working on the barrels. I'm on a roll!! No pun intended.

Phil
  • Excellent job on the painting. My favorite is the barrel with the grime oozing down and the L shaped bench.

On the table in the 2nd pic, I think you could add a couple of small details...wrench, clipboard, bottle, oily rag, etc.
  • Thanks Bryan.
  • Phil,

Not only is the work great, but more importantly so is the photography. This is exactly what I need for my own work - thank you . . .

John
  • John, I use a macro lens with a wide open aperture. I found that taking the photo on white paper brings out the detail. BTW because of the photos I found a few places to cleaup. Phil
  • I finally tackled the large oil barrel. Karl was a big help with this and encouraged me to go lightly on the rusting and to use more grey powder. I did this, but I could stand it and had to put in a leak. See below. Let me know what you think.

Phil
  • Very nice.
  • edited February 2015
    Phil, The barrel looks terrific...Karl can always be counted on to give the appropriate advice and you nailed it. Rust where it should be along the rivet edges etc...and I like the leak...not over done, subtle and you got a really nice effect there. I would have carried the oil stain right up to the edge of the patch at least. My taste calls for a bit darker and oily looking bents and deck but that's what is so cool about this stuff, we model to our taste and it makes it our own. Well done...
    (ps watch the wood "fuzzies")
  • I love it too, wonderfull job :)

DJ
  • Thanks all. Fuzzies are my enemy and are tough to get rid of. I need to be better with the steel wool. Phil