visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Making the Ship look like Fresh wood

Comments

• I thought I would post some pictures of the ship with the scaffolding. The ramp is on the opposite side of the directions so I will point that out. Also the previous building photos posted have the ends of the building on opposite ends from the directions. I am not building the diorama so I am making changes to fit my situation.

Mitch

• Mitch, I am not seeing the pictures. Am I doing something wrong?

Respectfully,
    John
  • Hi John,

The posting I made above yours, in my computer, shows five files with pictures. I do not know what is wrong but I may have to repost if you cannot see them.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Trying to post the pictures again.
  • Figured out what I was doing wrong. image
  • That looks fantastic Mitch.
    Firstly, thank you for persevering and making the effort to get your pics
    showing. It was well worth your effort for us viewers.

Secondly I really like and noticed the colour difference between the 'new wood' ship
    and the older wood scaffolding, It really creates a back story and shows that the boat
    is freshly built where as the scaffolding has been put together from older, spare wood,
    possibly left over from the previous boat that was built. It really adds a lot of depth
    to the scene.

The scaffolding itself adds a lot of depth and intricacy to the overall view, such a great design element of the kit and very well excecuted by yourself. Even in these early stages it has a Wow! impact. Looking forward to your next progress post.

Karl.A
  • And the ramps are placed differently...good idea!
  • Beautiful Mitch
  • I really like what you have going on here. It is interesting from every angle.

Quick question about the homasote base. Is it just for the picture or do you plan on using it as your base? I found from experience that a homasote base will warp a lot when fixing ground cover.
  • Hi Mitch,
    Fantastic job on the ship. The colors are amazing.
    Jim
  • Mitch, this is great. Thank you for persevering. I am really pleased to be behind you and able to watch your progress. I fully agree with your wood color for the ship. They were typically built from newly cut timber.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • I would like to thank everyone for their positive comments. I just finished the derrick and I am on to the boiler and steam box.

The homasote I used to prop up the ship for its closeup is a scrap piece from the layout. Maybe I am lucky but I have not had any issues with the homasote and moisture from the scenery on top of it. The shipyard will be placed along with other kits on a peninsula on the layout. I do not know what the shipyard kit will ultimately be mounted on until I build the other kits and start arranging them .

Best regards,

Mitch
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Mitch,

I just registered for Brett's forum and am quite late looking into your thread. You are doing a spectacular job on this kit. I built the Shipyard more than a year ago
    and shared the build with Paul Smulders on another forum. You might want to take a look at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35029&SearchTerms=sierra,west,shipyard. I posted several pics of real shipyards that became a good reference for my diorama. Will follow you along on your current progress. Your craftsmanship really shows.

John Elwood
  • Hi John,

Thank you for the compliment and the reference to actual shipyards.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Well done, Mitch.
    There's no question that the scaffolding looks like it's been around for many previous construction projects, and the ribs of the ship are fresh cut. Also, I like how you can see "precision" in the construction of the ship and a "whatever" feel to the scaffolding and ramps.

Got any updates?
    Bill

• Mitch, here's something else that might interest you.

• John,

Thank you for the video link. Just watched it.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • If anybody might be interested I would like to show you the progress I have made on the shipyard kit. I will be building Shelby Marine next to the shipyard. Here is the rough placement of the shipyard on the layout section. The extra building is a building where the wood is stored and a little workshop.

Here is the base coming together.

The water will be made using an acrylic sheet.

Here is a view of the modified shipyard building on the base.

We will se if I can pull this all together.
  • edited December 2014
    Looking great Mitch, interesting to see how you have reversed it, I like it and the Shelby's 'nextdoor' is going to look fantastic.
    Nice start on the scenery base, keep us up to date as you progress as there are many of us who are interested and following along.

Karl.A
  • Nice job on everything.
  • Looks fantastic, can't wait to see shelby's integrated into the scene... Wonderful!
  • Mitch, great work. I really like the water effects you created. The transition from deep water to the shore looks good and the wave and white caps are very nice. Your putting together a fantastic scene here.
  • Very nice work Mitch.

Id like to hear more about your method on the water. Sounds interesting.
  • As usual thank you for the encouragement. Here are a couple of update photos. The water does not have any waves yet. The white cap looking material is the gloss acrylic drying going from white to clear. I must admit it does look pretty good in the picture but it does not hold up in person. The real waves will not be added until the Shelby docks are installed.

The shore line will be pressed against the water when it is finally installed so the gap will disappear.

Wes, the water is an old tried and true method.

The water is an acrylic sheet painted, in this case, on both sides to represent the gradual increase in the depth of the water by making it darker as it moves away from the shore. I just used water based acrylics and blended them the best I could. The good thing about this method is if you do not like the results you can just scrape it off and start over. I did that three times. The water surface itself is an acrylic gloss medium patted down on the surface and there are several layers. A thicker gloss medium will be used to make the waves later.

The toughest part of this section was fitting the dock supports onto the rock formation I put underneath it.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Nice, Mitch . . . I really like the add on. I have been contemplating a waterfront scene and your layout is giving me ideas. Keep it coming, please.

John
  • Hi Everyone,

Some progress has been made putting the Shelby's Marine buildings next to the Shipyard.

This is a picture of the slipway I built before I attached it to the water.

The slipway is bent down and epoxied to the water.

The slipway with supports attached.

Here is the rough placement of the buildings in relation to the slipway.

Long way to go but progress is being made. The next steps are installing the supports for the wharves and the trestle.

I have been following along the many builds that are going on at the moment. Just because I do not comment does not mean I am not impressed.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Looking good Mitch, I love to see these 'in progress/placement' pictures, it leads to the imagination running wild and visualising what is to come next.
    Such a classic kit that is many builders favourite, please keep us up to date.

Glad to read that you have been following along with the many excellent builds here, be great to have you jump in more often.

Thanks for sharing your update with us.
    Karl.A
  • Nice update Mitch. The green algae on the supports and rails is a nice touch. Something small that is often over looked.
  • Thank you Karl and Wes.

If anyone is interested the algae color if from the Sennelier soft pastels Cinnabar green 752. I think its "not half bad" for a match.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • edited March 2015
    Mitch, nice to see you at work! Great job and I admire you H2O guys, I have yet to try modeling water in any volume. I'm poised for Bill's seminar at the Expo so I'm planning on coming away a master...right Bill? Have all the water front kits so we'll see someday how that comes together. I like your shoreline treatment and will be anxious to see those classic kits nestled in there...Ken