visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss' Landing with two boats group build

edited August 2014 in HO Scale Builds
Hi yaw!

SWSM has recently re-released the famous Foss Landing kit in a two boat version which sold out very quickly. A number of people have decided to build the kit together in the Fall (2014). The discussion thread is here to record the fact that there is going to be a "group" build of the kit.

A number of people have already shown interest in doing the build and stated so in another discussion thread (The section starts here, http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/vanforum/discussion/375/loco-and-service-shops-donkey-repair-yard-build/p5)

( Karl, is it possible to move those posts into this discussion thread?)

Marty

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Marty, I will move the posts over tomorrow.

This is going to be a great build thread being able to follow along with you all. I'm looking forward to you keeping each other motivated, pushing each other forwards with new ideas and most of all having fun with a great kit !

Karl.A
  • Well, look what was on my door step yesterday . . .

Now, if all of us could motivate Brett to put together a small release of Shelby's, we'd have a complete waterfront.

Respectfully,
    John
  • edited August 2014
    No chance on Shelby's John... the metal molds are trashed and the cost to remake the entire mold set (resin and metal) could never justify the run qty...
  • Brett,

Understand. Thank you for putting the suggestion to rest.

Respectfully,
    John
  • ahhhhhhh! It's so cute!

Brett, you could do a "Marty" no castings kit and send it to me only, hint hint?...
  • Hey John, just received my Foss Landing kit with both Addison and Jewel. What a fantastic kit this is! So glad I jumped on this kit when Brett offered it. Perfect for our group build...my only concern is I have to get moving on the Loco and Service Shops build that I'm working on to get done by this fall when we want to get started with Foss! I said "get moving" not rush...worse thing to do is get in a hurry....No fair starting early Marty!
  • Ken & Marty,

Well, there is no way I'm going to be very deep into The Shipyard, so I'll just have to work on both. I have enough room to do that.

Marty, I found Shelby's with all bags sealed . . . I have payment enroute.

John
  • John,

Hope you didn't find it where I found it later today.

Steve
  • Well, my kit has left Miami, FL and is on-route to it's next sorting facility.

I guess I will have to scratch build a marine works when the time comes; sometime in 2016.

I'm happy with my backlog of kits and don't "need" anymore.

Waiting.

Marty
  • Needing and wanting are 2 different things Marty
  • I was being careful in case my wife sees the post. She has to control my spending else I would have bought 20+ kits in the last year.
  • edited August 2014
    Look what just arrived. 12 days in shipping and I had to pay customs duty for the first time.

Ken, no it's not done yet...I'm not that fast.

Marty
  • Well Marty, you really have it! Ken, come on, show us your box . . . the evidence is mounting!
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Hi Everyone,

While this kit is in the wrong scale for me, I'll be watching this group build eagerly. I'm sure to pick up some new ideas/techniques.

Michael

• Well Marty, you really have it! Ken, come on, show us your box . . . the evidence is mounting!
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Brett, I was glancing through the construction manual and noticed that you use the 5-minute epoxy to glue many of the parts. What was the reasoning behind its use and will the carpenter's glue be acceptable?

Marty
  • Gee guys I have a great spot for both of these kits to go along with the Shipyard. Let me know if any body sees one for sale. Until then I'll just have to enjoy watching them be built.

dave
  • Me thinks we will not be starting these build until the New Year. Does it make sense?
  • I agree Marty...I'm too far into the Loco and Service Shops build to pull time away to start the group build. Lets see what things look like after the 1st...
  • Oh, oh . . . . the truth sets in! We "all" have the kit and have promised to do this but everyone is involved in other things as well. For my part, I am planning to add an additional work station to enable multiple projects in other hobbies, make space for Foss and need to complete my extensive household reconstruction.

Doc, I did a Google search/request to purchase, received a reply, Brett added pedigree to the seller and I bought a new and opened Foss. I intend to also purchase another opened but unused SMSW kit from the same person. Excellent experience.

Bottom line Marty, Doc & Ken is we should continue to plan.

Respectfully,
    John
  • G'day Dave;

There is currently a new Foss for sale on eBay...it ends in a week or maybe just a day less. Don't know if it has the two boats though, no mention of them in the advert. Kind regards, Greg.
  • John et al, We can discuss and plan this group build over a cold one at the EXPO. Bring your thoughts on the matter, etc..Ken
  • Great plan and sounds good to me because hopefully by then I'll be able spend more time on 1:87 and less on 1:1 work.
  • BrianM, 1:1 work is highly over rated! Maybe we can post a meeting time for the Foss Landing Group Build members in the hotel lobby somewhere....everyone bring their kit and we can spread out all the stuff on the floor and ....getting carried away...but seriously, an informal meeting would be awesome....
  • Ken, you're in charge. The somewhere in the lobby should necessarily serve adult beverages.

John
  • Beware, adult beverages can cause interesting kit construction outcomes...
  • John, OK I'll give it some thought and have something to post in the lobby and well likely meet near the suds...and not try to build anything Mike!:)
  • Did this group build ever get off the ground somewhere?