visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My No Name Machine Shop

edited March 2014 in O Scale Builds
First up is the Sierra West Bolt Cutter.

And thanks to Brett for making these casting so clean. Also some really good instructions on doing these.

Not sure which one I'll do next.

Comments always welcome

Jerry

Comments

• thanks for posting your machinery build Jerry! Looking good...
  • Thanks Jim.

Hey Brett thanks for making them so easy to put together good instructions and clean castings couldn't ask for more.

Next will be the Crank Shaper.

Jerry
  • Jerry,

I sure would appreciate, if you have the time, a run down on how you achieved such perfect coloring. I'd have no idea where to go after the initial "blacking" that you showed.

Respectfully,
    John
  • John sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.
    Here's how I did the stain .

After I blacken-it and buff it out with a felt pad.

In a 1/2 ounce bottle half filled with thinner (mineral spirits) I added 100 drops of Model Master medium green paint + 10 drops of Model Master flat black.
    You need to really mix it good and then apply it with a #4 shader brush. The small places I use a 00 round. Because its so thin I just keep added coats until I get the coloring I want.

I still need to go back and weather it with some brown & black pastel powders.

Also the white spots you see have all been fixed I just went back with some blacken then buffed out the spot with a make-up pad looks like a Q-tip but leaves no fuzz behind.

Jerry
  • Ah you lucky guy. - you got your machinery kits! Fantastic work on the bolt cutter - aesthetically it's my favourite. Thanks for posting your "glazing" method. I've been reading about glazing on some of the gaming figure sites and this is a whole other style of painting but worth learning as it is very flexible and forgiving and allows layer building like you note.

It would be great to see your build of the shaper. That and the grinder are the only CHB ones I have right now, as per the other machinery thread. I'm building some SWM machinery right now - they are fantastic kits but need allot of work/ patience. I'm looking forward to the SW ones for sure! In any event, beautiful job!
  • I meant "WSM" not "SWM" ...
  • Jerry,

Thank you for taking the time for an explanation.

I am away from home this week and not modeling, but hoped to have your information for reference. Beautiful work . . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • Nicely done Jerry, where are these guys going to live?

Ken
  • Thanks James. You did a pretty nice job on yours also. I have all the kits from Brett I bought a long time ago and just got around to doing them.

Ken glad you stopped by. Let's see were are they going to live. Well to tell the truth I'm not sure. But a long time ago. Well it's seems like a long time ago my friend Brian Nolan was helping me design a place for these machines. I still have the plan we came up with.
    So I'm kind of leaning to that. After another machine or two and I sit down and do a drawing of what we talked about I'll post it.
  • Here is the start of the Crank Shaper. The white spots are long gone now. I went back after the picture and touched them up.

I started putting it together so a picture of the finished Shaper should be forth coming.

Jerry

• Oooops!! Forgot to hit the right key!!!!!

• Crank Shaper finished. Not sure which one is next.
    As usual directions and castings perfect.
    Thanks Brett.

Comments always welcome.

Jerry
  • Beautiful!!!!!!
  • Alan thanks for the nice words.

ET thanks. And good to see you around. Hope your feeling okay we miss your posts.

Jerry
  • Nice work Jerry !!! These models are turning out beautifully.

Karl.A
  • Oh boy Jerry, that is just about unbelievable! What's next. Did you say where you are going to put these machines?

John
  • Karl thank you. It's great to have you looking in and watching out for me.

John thanks. I did put where I thought they might find a home but not sure yet.

Let's see were are they going to live. Well to tell the truth I'm not sure. But a long time ago. Well it's seems like a long time ago my friend Brian Nolan was helping me design a place for these machines. I still have the plan we came up with.
    So I'm kind of leaning to that. After another machine or two and I sit down and do a drawing of what we talked about I'll post it.

Jerry
  • Start of the Universal Miller more parts to this one.

Jerry
  • Perfect!
    Yeah, it is amazing how a machine which is, or looks , so complex goes together so quickly with these kits. Coring the feed crank handle was nerve-wracking , but I learned a valuable mantra - always, always, always drill a small pilot hole first. - even if there is a dimple.

The only difference I can see in the SW kit from the original CHB one is the crank feed rod which in the old kit is steel- sturdy, but a pain to cut.

A lathe next would be nice...
  • ... In reference to the crank shaper...
  • edited April 2014
    Jerry, did you mention how many of the machines that you have?

John
  • Thanks James. Appreciate you looking in.

John I have the whole set.

Right now I'm waiting for a pin vise to get here. Should be tomorrow so I can get on with these machines.
    Hell after 15 years my pin vise won't hold a .020 drill.

Have you ever heard of such a thing??

Jerry
  • LOL! We train modelers do keep tools for a long time. Just the other day I was looking at my jewelers files and remembering buying them in 1979. Man I am old!
  • Alan, I know how you feel. I am still using tools and FloQuil from 1971.

\Marty
  • Dad told me buy good tools and you may only need to buy them once. Cheap tools are dangerous and poor investment. I have some scars to prove it - - before I believed my father's advice.
  • Hey I got my new pin vise today. I'll see if this one out lives me.

Well lets get going on the Universal Miller.

Jerry
  • Well the Universal Miller is done. Like Brett said a nice looking machine but a real PIA to do.
    I think Charlie wanted to get even with us when he designed this one.

Comments always welcome.

Jerry
  • Charlie is laughing right now buddy at that comment but really please with your miller... what a beauty! For sure your best one yet.