visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

A Meeting with Tim, Representing Ngineering

edited February 2014 in General News & Ramblings
The Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe, WA is hosting the 23rd annual model train show this weekend. About 200 vendors are present.

I was very pleased to see Tim, representing Ngineering products. I think Paul is using their products for lighting on The Shipyard and they also have a pre-made illumination kit for Delwins. I intend to do lighting on my Shipyard and was particularly pleased to be able to see the products in real life. As Tim mentioned, the website has excellent color pictures but I favor the ones I took today.

He had demo pieces of model segments with various types of illumination which I photographed. More revealing to me were four rotary display stands with the pre-packaged pieces; e.g., a plastic envelope with ten lamp shades or an envelope with the resistor current limiting board, etc. I photographed at close range all sides of all display racks. With the exception of one photo, I have dozens of clear up close photographs that enable one to see what a package of ten of this or five of that look like as they are packaged and sold. In the case of packages with product descriptions inside, the print is easily readable.

After reviewing the photos, I believe that in conjunction with their web site these give significant additional knowledge about what the product looks like as purchased and would be a valuable tool when placing an order.

The photos are too numerous and each is too large a file size to upload to this or probably any site. Should however anyone be contemplating lighting any of their dioramas and want to see pictures of specific lighting components please let me know.

Below is a photo of Tim at the display. In the picture shown below Tim, I zoomed in to demonstrate the type of detail I am describing.

Comments

• I also bumped into Tim at the show and got a chance to see a neat gadget he says he hopes to start shipping in the next few weeks. It's a circuit board about the size of a 4"x6" photo that has samples of all the different sizes and colors of LEDs he sells mounted along its edges. It has a series of slide switches on it that enable you to pick the specific LED you want to light plus a way to set it to a couple of different brightness levels. You can place it near a model and get an idea of what the selected lighting effect will look like. From the way you set the switches you can then tell which resistor you will need for that brightness level and you can then take it from there. The device is not yet on the website but should be soon. He's also working on a new circuit board that will allow you to have (I believe) two different simulators on a single card (you will pick what you want when you order) at a cost less than that for two separate cards. He said he hopes those cards will be available in about a month.
  • Hi Mike,
    I wish we could have met. Thanks for mentioning the new board - he had three reservations for it when I visited. I felt that I don't do enough to warrant the $125 cost. I especially liked the tubing bending jigs that he had in two or three size. I am on Cougar Mtn in Bellevue - are you close by?
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Just a bit away from downtown Bothell where I'm trying to make lurking an Olympic sport...;^)