visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Unseen O Scale Sawmill pictures.

Once the pilot model for the O scale sawmill was finished it was time to take photos.
Brett and I spent several hours taking pictures of the diorama which resulted in
hundreds of photos and the task of sorting through them to select the ones to be used
on the web page.
The best photos were selected that told the 'story' of the model, many, many pictures
were rejected.

In this thread I will share some of my photos that weren't selected for the final cut.

Karl.A

Comments

• Wow!
    Fantastic modeling and great pictures. These were the rejects Ha Ha.
  • Damn. How can you call those rejects.

I couldnt even take pics of a real sawmill that look that good.
  • Could you maybe let us in on what equipment lighting etc you used for the pics Karl?
  • Thanks for the replies Alan and Wes, it is an extremely photogenic model, it really doesn't have a bad angle.

Well Wes I hate to disappoint you but there is nothing involved about my picture taking. For the lighting we used the sun, mid afternoon low winter sun. The camera (for my pictures) is my small sony 'point and shoot' set on auto and hand held. It's a great little camera.

I'll try and post a new pic each time.

Karl.A
  • Man that is beautiful!
    Thanks for the info on the pics. Real sunlight is sure nice.
  • Oh my gosh, I am sunk. Looking at your work makes me realize how little I know !
    John
  • This last picture is gorgeous. Love the curving narrow gauge track and my eye was drawn to the exceptionally well done wheel barrow. Doesn't that just frost ya....all that beautiful work on the roof and structure details, the design elements, NBW casting detail..and someone get gushy over a darn wheelbarrow! can't wait for more pictures. Ken
  • I was hoping you guys would post more photos. This kit is legendary.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for the replies Alan, John, Ken and James, glad you are enjoying the pics.

Remember John, this is three people, Doug Ramos built the machinery for inside sometime ago, Brett and I worked on the mill.
    Everything you need to know (and how to do it) is in the manual, as always with Bretts kits.

Well spotted on the wheelbarrow Ken, I'm glad it ended up where it did. There are tons of incredible castings in this kit, many many new ones mastered by Brett for the mill.
    Hopefully I'll find some pics of some favorites before they were installed after we finished working on them. The tool cart, the wheel barrow and the incredible desk with books, clipboards, papers, heck Brett even went and put cigarette ends in the ashtray !!!!!

Karl.A
  • How about a shay and a couple of disconnects to complete the scene?

Hector
  • Yes Hector, a shay and some disconnects with, or without logs would certainly look great on the track. However.... these pictures were taken with the sole purpose of selling the sawmill. For this purpose the mill needs to be highlighted, not hidden.
    Having a shay on the tracks would have obscured many of the great details and picture angles of the mill we were taking.
    Thanks for the post.

Karl.A
  • "Having a shay on the tracks would have obscured many of the great details and picture angles of the mill we were taking." True, but now the sales photos have been taken and posted and we're in a discussion entitled "Unseen O Scale Sawmill pictures" so we can slyly suggest the bar be raised... ;^)

Mike
  • and I have the perfect shay and discon's....
  • edited January 2014
    I am really enjoying the photos. Can you feed my obsession ? The shay and disconnects sound awesome. More please......
    Jim Richards
  • About those discons, someday in HO please!!!

Mike
  • edited January 2014
    "and I have the perfect shay and discon's...."

You can't be humble when you're great because it just oozes through anyway . . .

• edited January 2014
    Well, I'm going to post a final couple of shots,
    even if they don't have a shay in them..

Karl.A
  • Beautiful last pic guys. Love the shadow from the wire on the roof. So much realism here.
  • Thanks for taking the time to post these additional photos, fantastic! Joe CCCModOn30
  • Thanks for stopping in and the comments Wes and Joe. I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures.

Karl.A
  • Thank-you Karl. I just love your work and the pics.
  • Karl, Now that's a killer shot! Great perspective and stunning work on the castings.
  • Thanks for the comments Alan and Ken. I wish it was all my work Alan, but just a part of it.
    Indeed Ken, it's one of those shots I personally can just stare at and examine every detail, from the simple hanging lights to all the bracing detail. From the tiniest remnant of white paint and the knot in the siding over the cabinet to the subtle tones in the loading dock floor. From the barely visible edge of the corrugated roof and full rafters to the...... well you get the idea, lots to see and discover in that shot.

Karl.A
  • Great stuff..I see some more!...love the chunky main floor support members. Couple of those misc. cans have some really cool colors and color combos. Particularly the ones in the foreground on the top of the shelf unit.
  • Nothing jarring, all seems to be part of the whole. Yes, all hands who created this Karl are to be congratulated!
  • Magnificent. Love the broom.

The complexity of the right hand section of the picture is beautiful.
  • edited January 2014
    Nice thing about Shays, they take a long time to get anywhere but they're magnificent when they arrive... ;^)
  • I always liked blue!
  • edited January 2014
    Oddest "geared" loco I ever saw... (really wish this website supported built-in emoticons)... You did, however, pretty much peg my level of modeling skills.
  • Photo's of sawmill is inspiring. Lights look good. I have installed working lights in two of Brett's 0 scale buildings. Working lights in the sawmill kit will create some nice effects. I've found light installation a bit frustrating at times, but worth the effort. Should be various options for running wires to a power source in this build.

Malcolm