visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Horizontal versus vertical boards on walls

edited December 2013 in O Scale Builds
Hello All;

Just a simple question. Can I place the wall boards horizontally rather than vertically when I build up the kit? Horizontally is more prototypical for Australia where I live, and if I need to get more stripwood it would be handy to know before I start.
What is the answer?

Greg in Australia.

Comments

• Hey Greg I changed the direction of boards on the Rigging Shed with no problem and I didn't need more wood to do it.

Jerry
  • It should be the same amount of wood Greg as you are covering the same surface area.

Two things to watch for though, if you do clap boards remember there is overlap. So, if you have roughly a 10% over lap you will need roughly 10% more stripwood.

Also things like doors and window openings may need to be thought out a little due to the different orientation, I don't see anything complicated arising though.

Karl.A
  • Hey Greg-
    My first thought was of clapboard (overlapping) siding, or are you considering butting the boards up against each other just like you would if they were vertical?

If you're going for clapboard, another thing to keep in mind is how you will treat the 4 corners. With vertical boards, they just butt together at a right angle. With the added thickness of clapboard, I think you'll need a piece of square stock for trim where the corner is formed.

To me, horizontal siding (butted together) suggests an outbuilding or barn. Not something like an office or a building for living space. Which building are you working on?
  • Hello Bill...thanks for the clues about the orientation of the boards. My first thought was to butt the boards together, same as the manuals say with no overlap. I haven't actually started on a build yet...I am currently at baseboard clearing state...I have a space for the layout and I am trying to plan it all out as well as I can. Most of my prototype is USA, especially the locomotives and rolling stock, but I am trying to make the scene look a bit more generic. I am trying to avoid the "wild west" look with false front buildings, and the orientation of the boards struck me as being something that I could also look at changing. When I have built benchwork and laid track I will have a clearer Idea where the buildings will go, and I will choose one of them which has the boards laid horizontally if there is one, so I can see what it looks like.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I am watching all of the threads very carefully, and saving the photos so I can see what they all look like.....

Greg.