visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The "Loco and Service Shops" Scratchbuilt in O Scale. Karl.A

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Engine room pt2

So once again, another built up shelf and arranging the details. I decided the engine/maintenance room would be primarily where the engine was kept running but also there would be a small maintenance bench for minor repairs, there would be a few spare parts lying around and all of this would be relevant to, the engine itself but also the line shaft and ancillaries. Misc boxes and bottles of oil on the shelves along with some specific items.
    Mostly bare castings arranged and the work bench in the blurry background.
    Time to cut a hole in the floor, place the engine and then the big details in the room, make sure there's enough room and the viewing angles all flow
    I also added a ladder so the maintenance crew could go up to the line shaft on the rafters and grease the bearings, swap a pully or belt etc
    Once happy the main things were going to fit and look good I pulled the engine back out and started adding the next level of detail, signs on the wall, some finer details on the shelves and floor, shovels on hangers, etc..
    A month or so later, once all the walls of the structure were finally glued down and all the main details were epoxied in place and nothing was going to move again...... as I did with all areas of the model I went back (with a very long pair of tweezers and much care) and added another level of detail...
    In this room you can see I added several items to the back of the engine which weren't possible when it was still being moved in and out.

And that pretty much finishes up the engine room, but...... lets go back and have a closer look at one of my many favorite pictures...

Karl.A
  • This is really exemplary work. Love it. Thanks for your time of sharing all of this. Very motivating. It will be a great guide for me when I kick of with the machinery. That's the first box of the O scale sawmill kit coming my way.

Robert
  • Wow Karl. I really appreciate your walking through the thought process and how you implemented and added the art of it. This build is inspirational at many levels. Thank you for your care in sharing.
  • edited July 2017
    So, lets 'zoom in' on that last picture for a closer look.
    As I've mentioned before in this thread, each area of the LocoShop is detailed with items that are very specific for that area and make sense.... carshop full of carparts, crane area detailed with hoisting equipment..and so on, but also I tried to bring in some more subtle things in each area.... once again that concept continues here...
    Some things are obvious, some not so much.
    There are many items here that are specific to the engine/line shaft.... spare pullys, some gears, there are some coiled belts on the shelf, one is loose and draped down and several pillow blocks....

There is a pillow block on the bench taken apart, I drilled holes in the filed down casting to show where the bolts would go, the scratch made top half has holes drilled where the bolts would go, the bolts are sitting on the bench next to it, and yes, that wrench sitting on the box on the bench is the right size and does actually fit the bolt heads.... the bearing has been removed to be replaced.

Talking of wrenches... next to them on the rack are a couple of C clamps, but a closer look shows that they aren't just siting up perfectly straight, and then you'll notice that the handles are slightly twisted at different angles, just as they are anywhere in reality, the C clamps are 'adjusted' like this throughout the model, and all of the threads are polished from use.

On the back left of the bench, next to the large leaning C clamp is a Texaco can, nothing special, there are several around the shop, in fact, if you care to scroll up and look at the shelf behind the Universal Miller there are three almost the same next to each other. This wasn't because I got lazy or ran out of new ideas, in fact they were probably done 6-9 months apart, my reasoning is that a shop of this size would buy those items in bulk, by the case, and so there would be many of that same item scattered around the shop where needed, they wouldn't last very long so they would all be weathered more or less the same. There are also three cans of another item behind the Universal Miller. Same cans, same colour, same labels, same reasoning.

The small tool rack over the work bench is full, so, where did that wrench that's sitting out on the desk come from ? (usually I have had empty spaces on the racks for tools that are out on the bench).
    Well, there is an old paint can sitting on the bench with a few extra wrenches in it, that wrench probably came from there.

As throughout the LocoShop, pretty much all of the drums, cans and bottles have labels, even the ones in this scene, tucked away on the shelves that you can barely see in this photo and have no chance of seeing if you were looking at the model in person. But, the difference in the shadows and depth makes a difference I think.

The pillow block casting on the floor has had the bolt details filed off as you can see, but, it has also had the holes drilled in it for the bolts, which unfortunately you cant see from this angle.
    Alternatively the complete pillow block on the bench still has the bolts in the holes, (so they don't get lost !).

The screw jack on the floor is black and dirty in the lower third, simple weathering, nothing special, but, the top was very carefully rubbed so that the paint only came off of the very slight raised details, this displays Brett's casting quality beautifully, and looks pretty damn good too, when you notice it.

Usual weathered signs and a pinup girl on the wall, but, look a little closer behind the wrenches on the rack and you'll see that one of the guys has tucked away a 'black n white' photo of his girl..

The handle on the broom is actually dirtier in the specific area where somebody would be holding it with their grubby hands, and also where the handle meets the head, because, that's where dirt gathers and stays.

Karl.A

• edited July 2017
    Thank you Robert and mgietz (Michael,Marvin,Mark?), I'm happy that you are enjoying the thread and hope that you and others find it useful in some way.

Robert,I'm really looking forward to your build of the sawmill machinery, it is equally as incredible as the machine shop, I loved building it. Look at my sawmill thread to whet your appetite, several of us here have built the sawmill so if you have any questions we'll be glad to answer.

Karl.A

• edited July 2017
    engine909 said:

...............we often fail to realize how small the build really is........
    ed

Small? SMALL !!!?

Darn it Ed you almost made me choke on my beer, just the building itself is 14"x17"....
    SMALL !!! That's not even counting the diorama....

OK, I'm just joking...

So I instantly, (second time I read it) realized what you were saying and the great compliment you were giving me, thank you very much.
    I'll post some perspective shots in a moment showing how 'small' the model is, but first....

'yes' in answer to one of your questions, it was over whelming, and 'yes' to another, every scene, every detail is a model unto itself, whether it be a 1/4" high screw jack that has chipped paint, polished thread on the screws and an oil drip where it was lubed at the handle, or, a rusty 55 gal drum, or a hammer that has a grubby handle and wear marks on the head, a polished axe... as you said, Ken knows, they are indeed all models, you have to take them one at a time and do your best with each of them.

As for scale, it doesn't matter to me, the smallest thing is still the smallest thing, a HO oil drum is an O scale can on the shelf. Many of the items on the Loco shelves are HO castings, boxes, crates, drums etc, they are all finished equally.

I enjoy working in both scales, they have differences, and both have limitations and advantages.

Thank you Ed, I enjoy sharing my work, hopefully giving people ideas and at the least they enjoy looking.

So, here's some perspective shots..
    we'll start at the engine room because that's what I just posted.
    Its difficult though to get into the back areas now that everything is permanent.

Karl.A
  • What's that orange out-of-space-alien-like object in the workshop??? :smiley:
    No, it's just good to realize how small, or big, whatever you want to call it, the diorama is. Eather way, it stays incredible.
  • Karl, can't say enough your work is amazing , I always look forward to your builds.in Nova Scotia for the summer wish I had brought some of Brett's kit to work on , you inspire me to get to work.At least I can watch your progress keep up the fantastic work!!!!!
  • Thanks for taking the time to walk through the thought process in setting up your scenes. Very helpful.

I agree with Robert, your new fuel tank needs to be weathered.

Bryan
  • Hi Karl,

I was wondering whether you used that peeling paint method or not because I used it myself on my HO scale engine house. And as I was doing it, I thought that this doesn't look right until I started to place the boards on the walls. If I had know better, I would have been more careful about placing the boards and put the boards with more paint ant the top and those with less at the bottom. But we learn as we go.

Sorry Ken, but I don't know how much grunge you should have on a building that is still in use and where it is located. I personally think that things get to much grunge.
  • Wow.....just plain wow. Ideas flow from your photos...outstandingly realistic... ..I only wish I had more details for when I scratch build. I know I will use every detail I get in the SWSM kits...in those builds...I also hope that Brett can get to this kit one day....but I have an alternative....How about some mini scenes....the shop machines...and surrounding details?...I know it would be hard to do....but I have the shop machines....bought them years ago....still unbuilt...but all the details I have in my parts drawers....aren't near the quality...one can always hope....
  • Im so glad to see 1 of my all time favourite modelers back at what he does so brilliantly. Keep posting your work bud, ive pulled up a nice comfy chair and cracked a cold 1 to watch the show.
  • Karl, I'm just catching up. As you know, you are the reason I found Sierra West, so there is no doubt in my mind how good you are. However, the pictures and the explanations just blow my mind. You have really thought about everything. It also brings up a very good point. Even if you don't go to these measures when you build a kit, as long as you think things through and have a story or explanation in mind for what you do, your modeling will be better than most. Great job Karl!! Phil
  • Thank you all for the great comments and kind words, they are very rewarding to read and I am glad that you are enjoying seeing the process and getting ideas.
    Karl.A
  • edited July 2017
    The Boiler Room,

still I would say only half finished, but, heres how I got there so far.

Before the engine was glued down it, and the front walls were removed, a 'concrete' base was made for the boiler and the flooring was glued down in the boiler room, and some of the outside work area.
    The boiler and engine were put in place as was the wood cutting scene and it was time to plan out details .
    The walls were put back in and some items were planned out. The large shelf unit actually holds the boiler wall in place and the bench is borrowed from my woodcutters diorama which is why there are no labels on the bottles. As you can see on the right I am also planning out the next area so that they blend.
    17b
    17c
    The boiler wall section removed to check the view and flow without it in place.
    17a
    Both wall sections removed and the detailing pretty much done at this point.
    As you can see I ended up using the old bench without labels as I didn't have time to build a new one, however, all of the cans and drums now added under the bench do have labels.
    And this is how it currently sits, as you can see about 50% done and pretty sparse compared with previous areas, no signs on the walls, it needs a shelf on the main wall and a tool rack on the back of the cabinet, and also maybe something on the floor in front of the boiler. Also needs ash, soot and general grime in front of the boiler door on the ground and 'concrete' slab.
    The finished outdoor work area, detailed primarily with carparts, brake cylinders, springs on the shelves, and a hand cart on the bench with a wheel missing being repaired.
    The back shelf and several details are glued to the wall and remove with the wall as seen previously in this thread, the details lock together with those glued to the ground to make it seamless when the wall is in place and hold it there tight.
    The water tank in place and the wood scene done, both essential to keep the boiler running. A rack of axes on pegs on the wall with an empty space/pegs for the axe that is in the woodpile being used and a couple of splitting wedges lying around.
    The yellow barrel also holds the wall in place, it looks like I knocked it loose at some point and it needs gluing back down.

Karl.A

• Wow Karl. There is so much to take in. Your planning, forethought, and composition really show through in the results. Thank you for sharing the process. It is really helpful for me to see this. Thanks again.
    Mark
  • Amazing as always. So many ideas to steal I'm getting a headache. The bar has been set so high it is no longer a competition but rather something to try and emulate. Love it, and thanks for all the work explaining as all of it can be used to help become a better modeller. The more you show the more I'm itching for Brett to release part one even if it is just a mini scene.
  • Stunning detail Karl! I keep looking at each picture and finding details I didn't see before. This kind of "clutter" detail is so time consuming and is really harder to conceive and layout than many would think that haven't done it. Layer by layer you have created a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. I don't care how long it takes you need to bring this puppy home! No rush mind you...PS. that horizontal air tank is crazy good.
  • A fascinating look at your thought process, Karl! Planning and layering is the only way to achieve these results. Like putting a puzzle together, I'm sensing you play with all the pieces until they fit together to form the picture.
    I'm learning that this process is a really enjoyable part of construction which pays huge dividends in the final outcome.

Thanks again!
  • Karl.. I sent you a message offline. cheers mate
  • Karl. Amazing project. For 12 months I tried to find out who built this structure.
    Jam packed full of workshop ideas..
    Hope it's OK to combine all the photos into one web page to share with the worldwide modellers. Glad I joined up with the SW gang...
    cheers mate
    http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_karl_allison.html
  • Karl,

Every time I see this great model I want to start one like it. I really like the design. You really did a great job building and detailing it. I know it has been discussed to do some sort of kit in the future, but I have not heard if that is still in the works. I just bought all of the machines, from the recent run so I am part way on my journey. I know there is a build of this building going on now on the forums, which I am following.

Mike S.
  • Just amazing work Karl.

"M" thanks for doing the pictorial its excellent.

Jerry
  • I am full with admiration. And like many others, hoping to see this in an O scale SW kit one fine day.
  • Hi Karl. Just got home...Been away for R&R for a few days. Received your email and made a few modifications to the web page as you requested. cheers mate
  • Thanks Mario, hope you are now 'refreshed'.
  • @Karl A quoting a first page post:

"Thanks Scott, I'll see what I can dig up for you.

I used some .005 styrene to make the metal sheets of the boiler. Rivets were added with a pounce wheel."

What is a pounce wheel, and where does one acquire a pounce wheel?

Thank you,
  • Thank you Ed.

Jerry
  • just wanted to revive this thread. it's too damn good to let it fade to oblivion.