visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The "Loco and Service Shops" Scratchbuilt in O Scale. Karl.A

Comments

• Thanks for bringing this thread to the top of the list....a lot of good info here
  • No oblivion for me. I look into this build quiet often. So much to admire.
  • it sure is. i think karl is a master builder, and to scratch this model and detail it the way he has (from those racks of sierra west details on his work bench. color me green) is something above what chuck doan does only due to scale and size. this is a thing of beauty.
  • since this entire thread is a virtual extension of brett's craftsman kit university, maybe we should ask if he can "pin it to page one" or make it a sticky so it's always there right in front of us. this thread is as much about diorama design as it is about building, especially if karl takes this thread all the way to the finish.
  • Karl,

I keep coming back to this build and looking at the way you work the details in a scene. Specifically, I am wondering how you created the worn through spot in the wheel barrow?

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/675/65RWJ4KJ83UP.jpg

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • i've been wondering about that too.....
  • Yeah, that old wheelbarrow is pretty cool. I gave Karl a couple castings that didn't fill completely in the mold leaving a void that looked just like a worn out hole.
  • i'm looking at it and thinking hmm, maybe i'll put some pewter black in it and just let it sit there until it eats through it....
    glad i didn't.
  • You could sell those "seconds" Brett. I bough some metal and wooden barrel "seconds" from somewhere years ago. I love using them as really-rusted-holey barrells.
  • I was looking at contest winning models at a national level when I ran across some internet photos that floored me. "Damn, what in the hell is this?" The interior shots were likely the best I'd ever seen in O scale. Sent the photos to Brett and Brett sent me this eye-opening link. And I hear it may become an O-scale series of kits. I wrote back quickly to B: "I'm in!" Is there anything else I could've said?

Karl, you own it with this puppy!
  • edited August 2018
    Thanks for the great words Eric, I hope you enjoy going back through the thread,
    and I hope one day I finish it.... ha

Karl.A
  • I keep coming back at this thread aswel. It is so inspiring and motivating knowing that this was scratch build. Just amazing work.
  • I have also come back many times to this thread as well. I have looked at the pictures for hours. It is one of the best models I have ever looked at. There are also so many great indivual models which make up the whole model. I can only hope that I will be able to build a model that might come close.

I also really appreciate everyone who takes the time to post pictures of their builds here.

Mike S.
  • edited August 2018
    Thank you Robert and Mike for those extremely nice comments. It's very rewarding to read them, also to know that the thread still gets views.
    Here's a couple different pics I came across today whilst talking to Brett about something else.

Just to keep things from getting stale...

redeck01
    redeck02

Karl.A
  • Hey Karl! just stumbled in to this amazement! Nice!
  • Great to see you here Philip, and posting, thanks alot for the comment.
    There's some great builds/builders here. We hope to see more of you.
    Thanks again for "stopping in".

Karl.A
  • Amazing modeling here, Karl. Reminiscent to me of Chuck Doan’s work. Just breathtaking in the amount of detail and what Bob Brown calls “clutter”
  • How did you do.... the beam's and inside wall's
  • That question covers a lot of answers Craig, was there a specific area you wanted to know... construction, initilal colouring, weathering, shadowing... etc

Some are covered earlier, others are not, let me know which and I'll be glad to share how.

Karl.A
  • This is a very impressive video
    Terry
  • Indeed it is. I saw it several times already .!!
  • edited January 2019
    Thank you so much Mario. It was beautiful to re-live those moments. The music had me entranced perfectly throughout.

Karl.A
  • Never get tired of settling down to some of the best modeling I have ever seen!
  • You took the words right out of my mouth.. ( Hey ! wasn't that a Meatloaf line :smiley: )
  • Karl, your build is just fantastic. You are one of the masters!
  • Karl, as you know, you brought me into the Sierra West family with your encouragement and great advice. This video clearly shows the standard of modeling of which I aspire to accomplish. Phil
  • I keep coming back to view this great model. It is so inspiring and I hope to be able to come close to building like this. The explanations that are given through out this thread is really helpful to understand how to tackle a large project like this.

Mike S.
  • Karl, a tribute to your great modelling skills, the detail is superb. One of the greatest achievements in modelling. Not just yours but all scale modelling. Thanks for sharing. Can't even imagine what more you want to add to it.