visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sturgeon's Mill. Restoration project video.

edited June 2011 in Reference and Research

Enjoy...

Karl.A

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Want to see all that cool looking equipment in action ?

Nine video's of the mill at work. Lots of reference and modelling info to enjoy.

**videos removed**

I'll try to splice them into one longer video later today and re-upload it as one or two files.

Dont have time right now, enjoy anyway.

Karl.A
  • Hey... that might make a great O Scale Sawmill Project...
  • Great reference young Minion, most appreciated.
    KO
  • But who could take on such a large undertaking Brett???
    You're welcome Kevin...

I downloaded the nine videos from youtube, spliced them all together into one movie and then uploaded it back to youtube.

here is the new compacted video.... enjoy !

Karl.A
  • Brett,
    I'm really impressed with the You Tube videos of the Sturgeons Mill project. That mill looks very much like what you have proposed and thats why I look forward to the kit.
    Bruce- Moose_Creek_RR
  • fantastic videos thanks very much ,great reference to building a sawmill.
  • Great video Karl.A
    This is the type of atmosphere I am trying for in my models.
    Now we can see why so many of the employees were deaf and had missing digits and such
  • Does anyone have the Western Scale Models' book "Modeling a Steam Powered Sawmill, A Detailed look at the Hull Oakes, McLean and Sturgeon's Sawmills"? Wonder if this has useful information not available elsewhere.
  • Hi Mike: I just became aware of this topic thanks to Karl A. I have the book you mentioned above and it is terrrific, highly recommended. Another sawmill book is Sawmill Modeling by Morgan Griffiths. I have used the information and photos several times during the build of the Sawmill Machinery kits, again highly recommended. I am sorry I don't remember where I purchased the book but it is published by Paradise Publishers located in Corte Madera, CA 94925.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • I know there are a lot of people receiving updated sawmill machinery right now,
    I also know of quite a few people who are going to be building their sawmill kits this year.

So I figured I'd bump up this old thread from a little while ago for reference and inspiration, the two videos should put you in the mood to get at it.

Enjoy.
  • If you look on the threads a few years back...I uploaded a bunch of photos of the mill when I was lucky enough to get a private tour of it by Bob Sturgeon....this was in 2019 during the Sacramento NNG convention....no one else thought of driving up there....so go look at those photo's.....I am ordering my updated sawmill stuff soon....
  • edited January 2023
    I remember well that great thread Art.

I'll go find your thread and nudge it up as there are several members working on (or about to start) that amazing kit right now.

Thanks for the reminder...
  • edited January 2023
    Karl, The sawmill that I built and entered into the Salt Lake City NMRA Convention contest was built based on the Sturgeon Sawmill. I ordered a set of plans from Boone Morrison, who has since passed away, and had to make some minor revisions to fit the mill equipment that was available. I also spent many hours watching the available videos at the time for details etc. The following is the link to my project with pictures.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?=/discussion/1058/nmra-convention-in-salt-lake-city-awards/p1