visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Woodcutter - O Scale - removable roof

edited September 2013 in O Scale Builds
Woodcutter Shack with removable roof (that's why there is a facia board as opposed to exposed rafter tails). Plan is to detail interior and light it with an LED. I'm building the scenes on separate palettes - makes work easier plus I haven't designed the base yet. They will all be blended in at the end. This is pretty much the first thing I have ever built - at least in 35 years or so. I'm stoked how easy these techniques are. For any newbies- dive in! You'll figure it out.

BTW - the saw blade leaning against the table saw is a real blade for a mini tool! I ordered the blade from Walthers (80 teeth I think). Blackened real nice and is the right thickness. Will probably add a bolt ring. Nothing in the photo is glues down yet of course.

Comments

• James, You O Scale guys amaze me! The roof looks superb with a great natural blend of color shades and the siding color is really nice. The machinery on skids next to the saw looks really nicely rusted but not all the same way...great stuff. Your teasing us with only the one picture! Ken
  • thanks Ken! my first photo post ever. Nice to hear. Alas, I don't have a proper hobby room, and had to put it all away tonight or my 4 year old daughter will get at it. I'll take some more photos when I set things up again... uh oh... here she comes...!!
  • Very nice James. Wouldn't say you havnt built anything in 35 years. It all looks great.

I love the roof of the open shed. Id like to see some close up pics of the shed. Did you scratch the table saw?
  • Thanks Wes - will post more photos of shed - roof inspired by some photos of old local structures. Tablesaw is by Banta - it includes a small hit and miss gas motor model with pulley by Wiseman Models. I think it is a fairly new kit.
  • James very nice. Nice coloring on the siding and roof.

Jerry

• Here is some bits. To answer Ken's question, most of the rusting was done as per the manuals with chalk. I did some with "Sophisticated Finishes" rusting solutions/ paint. I bought some on a whim, not thinking I'd use it as on some blogs it's poo poo'd. But I've come around to the stuff- if used sparingly! It's not a substitute for chalking. But it does add variety. In the photo, the tank and the pipe by the saw blade were done with this stuff, as was some of the metal bits on the sled. Pros: it's real rust! Cons: it's real rust- meaning it will continue to rust over time unless sealed (which I've done). The rust also darkens over time (which is what rust does).
  • ok - seem to have posted several images there somehow. In any event, i was going to say that the little thing on the water tank is a tool box - yet to add the carry bar. It will be filled with stuff. Oh yeah, and one of the hoses to the tanks is the wrong way. Well taht wood cutter, he ain't none too bright... actually the gauges came that way and I didn't realize the issue until after I glued them in. Oh well, I'm sure it will loo ok in the end...
  • sorry about bad grammar - in a rush to get dinner ready. wife not happy.
  • Nice work James.

That cabinet with the single door is a neat piece.
  • Great job on the castings and build! O scale is a real treat to the eyes. So much more detail. BTW what are the rusting solutions/paint you are referring to above.
    Jim
  • The rusting agents are "sophisticated finishes" by Triangle - they make a bunch of different products for aging effects- intended for the craft market but if you google them one can see there are lots of people using them for different modelling projects. Readily available at Michaels and art stores. You'd want the iron paint and rusting solution - also come as a kit. Water soluble so easy to use. Paint is thick (has iron powder in it) so not appropriate for some items, but can be thinned with water. The solution can also be used to darken metal by itself- just brush it onto white metal bits.

May take a few hours or days before the rust forms- one can also brush on more solution to increase effect. Will continue to rust for weeks or even months.
  • The handles are from Irishtracklayer - they are brass so just need to blacken them.
  • Fantastic work... Looking forward to continued progress.
  • thanks Brett (....it's like being blessed by the Pope!)
  • Very nice work James, the structures look great and the details are coming out terrific. Wonderful colour tones and textures on both.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for all the comments everyone. Having a blast with these kits...
  • took day off work and did a bit more on bits...
  • The structures look terrific James, really nice colouring and subtle variations.
    Also some fantastic work on the details, benches look superb, hard to see the drums and tank but from this view they look a bit plain. Maybe some streaks in the tank and some chips on the drums, of course this may already be done or planned.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl - probably a combo of poor photo plus most details aren't finished (the drums are more weathered than they appear here). Next time I'll use a proper camera. But good point - I like to err on the side of subtle. I had actually gone back to the on line photos and those in the manual after I posted this and was actually wondering if I should be going a bit more aggressive.

But I did have a problem with the big tank. I did a couple over sprays of gun metal and rust and let this set for months. But when I came to chalk with the pra the paint started to be stripped off. Which hasn't happened before with a SW casting - maybe I got some film on it or something. Luckily I've learned a thing or two and started at the bottom. So I switched to a dry finger rub method which actually yielded a nice, smoothly rusted tank which I'll fix with a fixative. But yes some dust streaks and spills are in order in the end...
  • James--
    Your work looks really nice! I especially like those castings I see on the first page. Any way you could post more pictures? You can never post too many and it will give all of us a better view and in turn give you better feedback. I know it takes extra time and effort (I'm guilty of it myself lately!) but I think you'll find it to be a worthwhile investment.

About the paint stripping off, I've had the same issue with some resin castings and I wonder if this is also a problem for more of us. The concrete walls in my Quincy thread peeled right down to the resin exposing stark orange and brown "scars" on the wall. The paint was fully cured (at least a week) but I've had it happen with others that had dried close to a month--like yours. After curing, Floquil paint is supposed to resist its own thinner.

My only thought is that the formula for the paint or thinner has changed. In my case, I don't have Dio-sol since it isn't available. The Testor's enamel thinner that I used is supposed to the equivalent of Dio-sol but it may be completely different. Possibly stronger--to the point of stripping the paint. Karl is a professional painter and hopefully will see this and weigh in with advice or a solution.

What did you use?
  • Thanks Bill - I almost only use Vallejo paints, although I also have used tamiya, Polly S, and model flex for airbrushing. All acrylics, except I use craft enamels for resin washes as per the manual. The only thing I can think of is that I use a bit of windex in paint now. But the paint on the tank came off with the rubbing alcohol - not thinner. I don't use primers either. So who knows. All good in the end.

I'll post some better pictures after next round of efforts.
  • I love the wall in the Quincy thread so whatever you did worked out great...
  • Another shot with the iPad (it's just too easy). I took Karl's advice and added some oil stains as per the manual. Added doors to shack. Tank isn't finished yet but added stains.struggled with the first wheel barrel but got the gist of it by the second one (if you turn them over you'd see which was which)!
  • Oops sorry, forgot to resize this!
  • James, Very nice! I love the bench with the oily greenish tank sitting on top...nicely done. Red bricks seem a bit bright to me and a bit too pink? Might just be the picture. Great blend of colors on the barrels...etc...great job. Ken
  • Thanks - I just threw the bricks in there for the photo shoot. But they are a bit pink now that I look them. Would have to see once they are dusted down - I have more muted coloured ones too.
  • Looking great James, the added work you did on the details is really paying off.
    You detail work has great depth and tones (pink bricks not included).

Everything is looking really good. I'm still not digging the tablesaw though, it looks a bit clunky/crude compared to everything else surrounding it, also it looks out of scale.... comparing the blade with the double open doors the blade looks to be at least 36" probably closer to 48" diameter.

The colours and texture on the shingle roof are superb, nice job!

Karl.A

• Yeah now that you mention it the saw does look kind of large. There may be a bit of foreshortening going on- I think the blade is 24". But it was a laser cut kit :). I'll rig it up in the shed and dump some junk on it and see how it looks...
  • Massive post- five cans, the welding cart, and the Woodcutter's left over breakfast dishes!
    I also added a weather head/ junction box and wire brackets on the side of the shed. I guess I've crossed the rubicon and will have to figure out how to get "power" to the shed...
  • James that is some really impressive work bud.

I look forward to more.