visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Sawmill Pilot Model Build

edited June 2013 in O Scale Builds
Karl and I are working on the pilot model for the O Scale Sawmill and I will be bringing updates as we progress. The most important part is the planning and placement of the machinery and line shafting. That has been all worked out so here we go!

This photo starts the build off showing the main mill floor template (beams and joist placement), the main floor mock-up, and the bundled stripwood that will be weathered and used to build the floor for the actual pilot model. More updates to follow...

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up Brett. Looks like were finally getting to see this thing being built.
    Looks good so far. Can't wait to see this become available.

Jerry
  • This should be fun!
  • Very exciting. But those plans don't look like they have been cut up into a puzzle and reassembled.
  • Hi Brett: This is a very exciting day. Thanks for sharing your progress....Joe CCCModOn30
  • I better hurry and do some building to finish my HO logging railroad as I know I will be lured into having a go at this O scale sawmill by watching you guys develop the pilot. Should be fun.
  • I better hurry and do some building to finish my HO logging railroad as I know I will be lured into having a go at this O scale sawmill by watching you guys develop the pilot. Should be fun.
    Does this mean your coming over to our side? And build the whole diorama? Or just the Sawmill?

Just how much room do we have out there Mn???

Jerry

• looking forward to this build,can't wait to see it come together,go get em Brett and Karl
  • edited June 2013
    BIG Sawmill... BIG kit... Board on Board. Period.
    Very simple concept here boys. If you don't want to grain and stain stripwood then buy a laser cut kit!

Graining the sub-floor wood. Keep that pile of sawdust for detailing the mill floor. That wire brush is from the plumbing aisle. Very stiff bristles.

• this is going to be great to watch keep the images coming
    stevo in oz
  • Sub floor complete with machinery in place...

• Just we what we all thought perfection at it's finest.
    What a great update thanks Brett.

Jerry
  • WOW. I agree with Jerry. What an update.
  • Thanks for the update.
  • Add me to the list of this is going to be awesome. Thanks for keeping us in the loop Brett....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Looking good...can't wait for my build on this sawmill.
  • That machinery looks good(grin) !!!
  • Great job guys! This is really a beautiful build. I can't wait to see more. Is there any plans in the future for an HO scale version?
    Jim
  • Ok my fellow sawmill loving modelers.... This kit is very important to me. I have MANY years of research and planning invested in this kit. I have been working on refining the construction methods and templates for support elements like the carriage drive, sawdust blower, and dry rollway. The time I am investing now (4 -6 hours/day) will make it easy for you to construct. I will have a few new pics soon...
  • Hey Brett thanks for the update. I figured you putting in a lot of hours on this one. Knowing how long it took Marty this is a huge project.
    I'm sure it will be one of your finest.

Jerry
  • Hi Brett: Thanks for all your work. I agree with Jerry, this is going to be a masterpiece.
    Joe CCCModOn30
  • Can't wait for the update. O scale is amazing. Did Doug Ramos build the machinery?
    Jim
  • (Mr. Ramos to you and I) and yes he did... is that a true friend or what. This sawmill is so cool. Doug built the sawmill machinery, Karl is building the mill engine and boiler and helping/building/designing the entire pilot model with me, and then I'm slinging a little glue myself... I love collaborations.
  • Wow! What a cool bunch of friends you have indeed. Mr. Allison and Mr. Ramos are two over the top modelers (that includes yourself of course). Your are very lucky to have such nice people to collaborate with.
    Jim
  • A quick progress update - I have been spending most of my time working on the templates, rough diorama base, piers, retaining walls, and the details associated with the sub-floor. These include the carriage drive, sawdust blower, live rolls, shafting, etc... These elements are an integral part of the main floor base. In addition the headframe, rollway, and wall structures have been completed. Karl has been working on the mill engine and boiler.

Next up is the rough scenery base, wall structure, rafters/trusses, and the shafting...
  • Thanks for the update Brett. Sure is taking on a great look. Can't wait to see this at the EXPO. Once again thanks for keeping us informed.

Jerry
  • Better build one!!
  • OK so you ask where are the updates? Karl and I have been at work on the pilot model and I am pushing hard for an October 15 "reveal"... I want there to be a bit of suspense so hang in there as we travel through these last few weeks without an update!
  • A bit!!! Hell there is a lot of suspense!!!

Jerry
  • edited November 2013
    Well it has been a long road and the pilot model is about 90% finished. Karl and I head off to the Expo tomorrow and I figured you faithful SWSM Forum readers should get the first sneak peek with a few quick iphone pics... Once I return from the show I will complete the diorama and post a ton more pics... Enjoy these in the meantime.

11/11 note: Sneak Peek picture time has expired.... Next posting will be of the finished dio!