visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Need Some Feedback Please...

edited April 2013 in New Kit Information
The O Scale Sawmill is going to require paper templates that are printed on 24" x 36" paper stock. I am going round and round on deciding if I should fold and pack them in the kit box or roll them in a tube. My preference is to fold them however I hate the idea of fold lines. But... I also hate the curl of rolled templates and am concerned about the templates being separated from the kit and lost, especially as the kits trickle into the secondary market. I receive weekly requests for lost manuals and templates - that were originally packed in the box - so I know I will get requests if the templates are packed in a tube! Your thoughts are greatly appreciated brothers...

Comments

• Hi Brett, even though folds are not the best, I think that it beats trying to straighten out or tape a rolled version.my vote is to add it to the kit folded.

Just my humble opinion

Scot
  • Hi Brett: I vote for the folded and packed in the kit templates. Joe CCCModOn30
  • edited April 2013
    Why not consider compromising; fold just once to 12"x36", then roll? I would assume your box will be long enough to accommodate a 12" object? As for reversing the process, I've always found drafting tape to be helpful when holding down something that wants to curl. It comes off cleanly and easily. Not the easiest stuff to find in the age of CAD but there are other tapes with adhesive that has a gentle hold.

A possible approach...

Mike M
  • Is printing the larger templates on two sheets out of the question? Left side and right side with horizontal hash marks to insure proper alignment. Join the two sides with tape at the hash marks and tape the full template to the work surface. Just a thought...
  • Much prefer folds and always found that sticky tape put on both sides then makes laying flat easy - or in the past have used track template printouts printed on smaller sheets but easily joined if marks are printed on them.
    Whichever way roll on the release of the kit !!!

Alan
  • 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. Folded would help keep it all together. Looks like I will have to go to Kinkos for a spare copy on this one.
  • I have been leaning toward folding for sure. Taping halves together Bill is out since there is lots of room for error. Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it! I will post some pictures soon of the mock up mill I have been working with- all unstained wood. Using it to check the fit of everything and to make sure everything is in proportion, etc...
  • Brett,
    Either way really. It's the design, manual and castings that I really care about. What ever you do though pack it all in one box or you are in for a big headache. If I had to choose I'd go with fold lines rather than curled.
  • Brett;
    How about a CD that the builder could take to office depot and print out?
    Ed
  • Another option is to post a file containing the drawing on a website that is accessible only to those who purchase the kit. This would require setting up the website where the file can be accessed and downloaded and distributing an access code to purchasers of the kit (just put it in the box). We can take the file to a store and have it printed out. No folds, no rolls.
  • I vote for printing the templates on regular 8x11 sheets. Laser cutting these into a jigsaw puzzle and packing them flat at the bottom of the box.

This way, there will be no folds or curls to deal with, the pieces will all match up perfectly and the builder gets that added bonus of a free puzzle in the kit. It's a win/win/win.

Karl.A
  • Two foot actual hunks of stripwood and a larger box with the templates. Throw out the idea of a large storybook style of manual however.
  • Please consider those of us who dont have access to high speed internet, home printers of sufficient quality to make a master from, or a "Home Depot" within a hundred miles.
    For mine please get all the parts in the one box, I dont even want to consider trying to find stripwood for a No Frills kit..in reality that means ordering from the States as well so it might as well all be in one box.
    Thanks for letting us chime in Brett.

Greg in Australia.
  • edited June 2013
    One can always use an Iron to remove the fold.
  • MikeM has a nice suggestion. And don't forget Dave Frary's suggestion of using a piece of glass with taped edges, and put the plans underneath. KW
  • Thanks for the continued inputs to the thread guys, much appreciated.

The suggestion of a piece of glass to flatten them out is a good one KW as it is perfectly smooth and relatively heavy.
    Always remember however NEVER to build with your plans under a piece of glass. The thickness of the glass will cause minor errors in size cutting and placement of parts, this is definately not what you want.

Karl.A