visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Getting it Together

As the saying goes " to be successful surround yourself with successful people", that sure was the case when I came across SierraWest and company. I'm relatively new to higher quality modeling. I am in the research stages of a early 1900s HO Scale layout and Sierra's product line is stunning. Brett was a nice as one can be and the forum....well..you guys are unbelievable. Bill's Twin Mills is off the charts. I immediately ordered the Line Side and Tool Shed combo to get my feet wet with the kits and set about ordering a good base selection of paints and chalks, etc. I also scooped up the Logging Essentials, Loco and Service Shops kits in addition to putting an order in for the no frills Twin Mills. These will all be studied but not started until I'm happy with my work on the Line Side. Enough babbling....Question: What books or manuals would you recommend to compliment Brett's kit manuals for general high quality modeling with maybe a focus on model railroading? Thanks and I look forward to taking with you folks. Ken

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Welcome to the forum Ken !
    To be honest Ken, Bretts methods and manuals are unquestionably the best for achieving the outstanding results displayed on the website.
    If you follow the incredibly detailed instructions and the techniques described in the manuals you will have very few (if any) questions left to ask.

Of course if you do have any questions there are plenty of great modellers here willing to help you.

The methods and techniques described in the manual are easily transfered to scratchbuilding and other areas of model railroading.

The prototype is the best place to start, and as you really have not specified which area of "model railroading" you wish to focus on it is difficult to answer.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/clarkkinsey

An incredible collection of photographs depicting logging and railroading in the early 1900's.
    Take some time to browse through them, the collection is also searchable for specifics.
    Enjoy......

Karl.A
  • Karl,

Forgot to thank you for the link to the prototype pics of early 1900s railroads. This link is really nice..

-K
  • Ken you will do fine with Brett's instructions and by referring to other's builds here. Somewhere on this site was posted a list of suggested colors of chalks and paints. I found it to be very helpful when I was getting started not that long ago.
  • Hey Bryan,

Right you are. I have been searching the web for info. and keep coming back and re-reading the forum posts here and have learned a plethora of information by comparison!
    I have already purchased a large selection of Rembrandt chalks and an initial selection of paints in preparation. Have not received my kits yet but much to do before hand. I have my work area set-up, cutting and finishing tools, glues, etc.

More later... -K
  • Hi Ken,

I am also modeling in the late 1800s-early 1900s period in On30. I have built three SWSM structures and love the way they go together and look. If you want to be a stickler for modeling in a certain period, you'll need to pay attention to subtle things, like the signs included in the kits. Many of the signs are for companies that did not exist during the period you and I are modeling. Some things are more obvious. The first gasoline-powered tractor did not appear until 1895, and it was probably well into the 1900s before gasoline-powered tractors were common place. The tractors included in the Logging and Tractor Repair Shed kit were not available during that period. For that reason, I used a horse-drawn wagon instead of the tractors that come with the kit.

Happy modeling,

Tony
  • Hi Tony,

Now see, this is why I love the forum. Your attention to detail regarding correct period modeling is going to be the difference between a good layout and an exceptional one. I'm shooting for exceptional, what I end up with....we'll see. I have decided to do a few of Brett and Companies builds while I'm researching my railroad. I'm considering modeling the Wynooche Timber Company in Washington State started in 1916. I will/have acquired all the HO logging builds available but will not be starting the larger ones until I have a couple of the smaller ones completed to my satisfaction. I have started the Tool Shed from the Tool Shed/Line Side Shed combo kit. I will post some pics of my progress to illustrate mistakes and gain some input from you folks. Also, I love perusing the pics of builds so I figure others do as well. Tony, keep in touch with me regarding your research and details of your logging railroad.

Ken