visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another tool shed

edited December 2011 in O Scale Builds
I'm working on the companion building for the rigging shed now. I wanted a newer looking structure that had been taken better care of than the rigging shed so I went more into the browns instead of grays for the siding. I used a base color of Rembrandt 234.3 and blended in 231.5 & 370.3. This was followed with IA and a dusting of 408.9. The deck I wanted to look more sun bleached so I used the same recipe as I did for the rigging shed. To help the 2 colors blend together I let IA wick up from the bottom of the wall, gave a light sanding and did it again.

For the tarpaper, I wanted a little bit of distressing on the edges so I tore the strips instead of cutting them. To tear I marked on the unpainted side the width of the strip then folded this over a metal ruler, creased it a couple of times with fingernails on the unpainted side and tore the strip. The edge are rough but still very serviceable for the shed. 1 patch to fix 'er up (or cover a glue spot!) The torn edged needed to be touched up a little with some black powder/alcohol.imageimageimageimage

Comments

• You've got the touch Bryan so run with it.

Kevin
  • Things are moving along with this. I put both structures on a base and put down the first layer of ground. Also placed the large castings. I'll give this a chance to dry and then start to play around with the smaller castings.

Not that there aren't enough castings in the kits but I ordered a low/squat pot-bellied stove for the rigging shed and a water pump for out back along with some figures. Since workers are coming I had to post some firm rules. I loved the bottom one but the graphic is grainy. I'll try to work on that.

I planted a couple of tree stumps in the background. This is supposed to be the backwoods after all. I tried a very large stump but it took away from the buildings. The 2 smaller ones compliment the scene instead of stealing it.

I'll try to come up with a backdrop to get some better photos for the next update.imageimageimage
  • An update, the castings are in place. Next on to the road and paths.
    I left room in the rigging shed for a stove in the corner. The stovepipe will go up the back wall shown here. Assuming the stove doesn't work this wall looks like it needs something. Ideas?

I love a good joke and get a chuckle every time I look at the flowers growing at the base of the outhouse.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • The scene is really coming together now Bryan. Great work on all of those many castings.

Looking forward to seeing the paths and road go in to tie it all up.

Karl.A

Nice pin-ups
  • Echo Karl.A love the castings too.
  • Bryan
    just have to enjoy the detail with the junk and clutter, man you spent some time with that. And just don't you love those Vargus' girls!!
    Dwaine
  • Wow! Looks great!
  • Thanks all. this reminded me that I wanted to post an update. I'm about ready to call this one done. The road is in and the scene has been populated, though it looks like there is more loafing than working going on.

I was pleased with the finish I got on the fuel tank. I primed a rust color, hit with hairspray, then black. Picked at a few places at the bottom and near rivets. But I think I got the best results from this: brush on alcohol and while wet scrape on rust colored chalk. Do this on each side. Once dry, lightly brush. While in place, I sprinkled on some of the dirt/dust that I used as my ground. Sprayed it with a light mist and got the results you see here. Nice little accident.

Norman, as for the time spent I didn't keep close track but I would estimate 30+- hours per structure and around 15 for the base. I had extra time on my hands the past couple of months as I have been busy babysitting repairmen at my house. PS. I'm in VA Beach.imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Bryan....really nice modeling,great work...
  • edited January 2012
    wonderful job combining the structures and creating a scene... gas pump and tank look great!
  • Here is my second built, the tool shed. I'll try posting my first built, the rigging shed.
  • Not sure why my pictures did not load up the way the ones above did. Sorry about that.
  • Great stuff - tank is exceptional. Some great weathering... Luv the little touch of the flowers by the outhouse . I look forward to these builds
  • Wow! Finally got back here to see this and... just, WOW! You're work on this is the BOMB! I need to get on the Tool Shed kit & order the Line Side Shed... both are great kits. Nice work, once again!
    R/,
    Norm
  • Bryan, Love your work! I also love to see the background layout construction going on. Looks like your detail work on the landscaping is really nice. I did the Tool Shed and Line Side in HO and its nice to see the contrast. Your detailing the LPs looks great, not too bold of colors and they don't dominate the scene just ad realism. Like it lots....-K
  • Norm, glad to see you back.

Thanks Ken. The layout construction in the background here is actually a now dismantled N scale layout. This was the first O scale diorama I ever did and it got me hooked. I strongly suggested at one point that it was Brett's and Karl's fault for my change of scales and implied that the should each somehow support my new efforts, but to date I have yet to see the first check.
  • edited June 2013
    it was Brett's and Karl's fault for my change of scales and implied that they should each somehow support my new efforts, but to date I have yet to see the first check.
    Danged postal service....

• Bryan, simply outstanding. I love the way you've scattered the junk around in a very realistic way. Seeing your diorama makes me want to get back to working on my own rigging shed. I only have about a zillion detail parts to paint up. LOL