visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

New Member from McKinney, TX

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. As all of us here, I love Brett's kits and have been inspired since the beginning from his talents. I recently completed a large scale version of the Woodcutter's Shack. This is supposed to be a future Gazette article but thought I would share here as well. With few exceptions, everything is scratchbuilt. I printed most of the detail parts as well. I am almost done now with a large scale version of the Truck Repair that I can share in the coming weeks. I plan on taking both structures to the NNGC in Denver this year.

Thanks!

Travis
0 Main Article Pic Travis Glass Resized

Comments

• Nice work Travis! Love the longhorn skull...where are you on the scale of this?

Great to see you here on the forum...Ken
  • Hi Ken,

Thank you! It's built to 1/20.3 scale. I have to admit though that on some of my details, I eyeballed them to scale when printing. The figures are 1:20.3.

My plan is to build a small, around-the-room logging layout using the Missouri Loco company 1:20.3 equipment.

Travis
  • Wow Travis, what a beauty. Love it. How about a few more pics including one with your hand in there so we get an idea of just how big this is! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Nice work! Really like all the details.
  • Brett,

Thank you! As an idea of size, the module in total is 28 inches wide by 17 inches deep. The shack by itself is approx 13 inches wide. Also, the pine tree behind the shack is almost 14 inches tall. I'll try to get a picture with something that really shows the scale but for now, hopefully this helps.

Also attached are a few more pics.

Travis
    Covered Shed2
    Scenery2
    Shack1
  • Fantastic build Travis. So many wonderful little details to notice like the newsprint wallpaper. I might want to tone down the grass a touch by lightly brushing with a khaki paint. It works like a charm.
  • Very nice Travis.
  • Thank you. Yea, that grass is a bit bright. I toned down the right hand corner but neglected the rest in a rush to get the pics. When it's built into the layout, I will blend it in.
  • A fantastic upscale of Brett's woodcutters shack. I really like all the tools on the work bench and box with the tank. Can't wait to see the truck repair. Randy
  • Thanks Randy. I really appreciate everyone's kind comments. I learned a lot in building the woodcutter's shack and applied it when building the truck repair.
  • That is the thing about working with Brett's kits Travis. Building them build up skills that transfer to other projects. Randy
  • That's exactly right! They are such fun to build and I have learned so much.
  • Very nice…Welcome aboard…just to help me get a handle on Scale (size) if O scale is 1:48, this is slightly more than twice as large as O Scale?
    Terry
  • Looks great Travis, very nice modelling through out all the details are very nicely done and you stayed very faithful to the original which is great.
    We look forward to seeing more of your work.
  • Hi Terry,

Thank you! Yes, this is around twice the size. Still a tiny structure even in large scale.

Travis
  • I still have some large scale locos and a lot of track....I'm into detail and it looks like you are too....not easy to find much in that scale...3D seems to be the only way to go...
  • Yes, I love the details and in large scale, as you know, it’s a challenge to really clutter up the a big structure. The 3D printer has really changed modeling for me.
  • So is that g scale? Looks fantastic
  • Mike, 1/20.3 is F scale
    G scale is 1/24, nicknamed 'G'ardenscale due to its ease of use outdoors.
  • Really nice upscale of Brett's fine model. Amazing all the details you included.
  • Nice work Travis. Looking forward to seeing you in Denver.