visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foundry Progress Photos

Technically, this was my first SierraWest model i started but i'm at a standstill on this one waiting for some replacement parts on a few blunders. While i was waiting, that's when i finished the Deer Creek Mine previously posted.

Here's a few progress photo's. Since i can't mount it yet, i've held off any of the detail scenes that require attaching parts to the base. One thing these pics are showing is a problem i've had on both builds...warping. On walls where the inside isn't going to be shown, i've added braces to keep the wall straight. On the Deer Creek project though, since this one also has an inside build, i was really challenged with the warping issue. I've followed the suggested approach in the manuals (weighing down after gluing) but it hasn't working. On these pics, i can also see the roof is slightly warped. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.Pic 1
pic2
pic3

Comments

• The stone coloring is fantastic! I like the color palate that you have going on this!

As for the warping I would wait till some others chime in, as I am a newbie myself, but it seems to me that if you paint the inside walls, and then weight it down for several days that might pull the warping out, don't know if that is a possibility as it looks like you are assembled?
  • I too love the colouring of the stonework and the concrete loading dock. Personally I like the little sag in the roof. It's only on the oldest building so it is really showing it's age. Part of the story. Just my two cents..
  • edited February 2023
    From personal experience: Always brace a cardboard roof. Use alcohol, not water. Use a heavier weight. When gluing boards to a cardboard wall, use as little glue as possible. Hope there’s something here you can use. Oh yeah, you’re doing great so far. This is one of my favorite kits.
  • I'm with Joel on the stonework and concrete...great job.
  • I like the coloring on all your buildings. The weathering on the front of the "blacksmith" building is very well done. I have all of the O scale foundry that Brett has produced. Looking forward to doing the build myself. Randy