visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

First Model Build

edited October 2011 in O Scale Builds
Hello,

It is with a strong sense of trepidation that I show off my very first SierraWest model, not to mention my very first model build period! Looking at the fantastic builds that are showcased in the forum, I feel my efforts are somewhat amateurish. But on the plus side, there is a wealth of knowledge available to someone new like myself who knows nothing, and talented builders at hand to critique my work can only serve to improve me as a builder.

I hope many more new builders find their way onto this forum so I'm not the only newbie in town.

So to my build, and let me state that this is a work in progress not finished by a long shot, so nail holes will come in due course.

For my very first ever craftsman kit build I chose SierraWest's 'O' scale Railroad Camp kit...

The build started with a few difficulties after discovering that the resin walls were twisted and the diagonally opposed wall joints had opened-up while the epoxy was setting. This necessitated pulling the joints apart with the obvious consequence of a lot of broken walls...there is good advice and then there's not so good advice! So after much superglue and sculpting of glue seams, some heat and weights...the walls were flat and ready to glue back together again.

The corner joints are now fully formed and tight. I left one glue seam on the back wall to remind me about the consequence of pulling apart resin walls that have been glued together with epoxy, and to 'not so good advice'.

One thing I very quickly discovered was that differences in terminology can have serious consequences. For example, the instructions state that the resin walls should be primed with 'Kilz Primer Sealer'. Well that doesn't mean a whole lot in Australia...so I used Tamiya Primer, seemed logical at the time. Moving on to the next stage of applying craft store acrylic washes, I discover that acrylic washes don't like to be applied on lacquer primer. If only the instructions were a little more generic, like apply an acrylic primer sealer!

So I reverted to artist's oils and No.1 Medium to create washes, takes a bit longer to dry and gloss levels are an issue (substitute solvent instead of Medium to matt the finish) but I think you can achieve a greater depth of colour with oils.

I purposely chose to vary the timber coloration between the office upper level and the warehouse. The idea being that the office upper level is a new/newer construction. To my untrained eye it looks a bit like new cedar boards...but hey we don't see a lot of cedar in Australia, so I could seriously wrong.

I purposely set out to experiment with this build (especially after the resin walls debacle), the biggest example of which being, that I added a floor to the warehouse (there is also exposed flooring to the underside of the office upper floor were it overhangs the stone building). In fact I originally wanted to fully detail the interior of the office upper floor also, but got frustrated with the search for detailing components. Railroad Camp Mk II will have a fully detailed office interior plus plus plus!

Of course once you change one thing there is usually a flow on effect and something else needs to be changed as a consequence. If you're going to have a floor in the warehouse then you need to leave to doors open so you can see it right...out go those thick resin doors. I made up a nice new timber door more in scale with the rest of the building...but; if anyone has some suggestions on how I mount them, it would be gratefully appreciated.

With a floor in the warehouse the potential exists to pose a lot of equipment and junk inside. I will fabricate a bunch of timber packing crates which will be arranged around the blackened walls.

The scratch built door looks goods and blends in well with the weathered exterior cladding.

Although not immediately apparent or clearly visible, the rear window has the almost mandatory broken pane of glass.

So that is pretty much it for now. The build continues to provide challenges and there are a number of things I will change from the standard build on Mk II. There is still a lot of work to get through before this build can be considered complete. I will post further pictures as the construction continues.

In the meantime any and all criticism is welcome.

Regards,
Chris

Comments

• Chris,

Considering the problems you had and overcame. I think your off to a good start. Keep us posted.

Jerry
  • Chris, thanks for sharing.. I'd say it looks pretty darn nice. I'm a newbie myself and haven't built anything yet so I can't offer too much advice. I do have two of Brett's kits here waiting for me to get my confidence up. I'm ordering a few more kits in two weeks, one of the kits will be the Lineside Shed. I will likely begin with that kit.

- JT
  • Hi Chris, welcome aboard!
    Fine choice in SW for a first kit. Brett's instructions are what every "newbie" should experience. Your work is quite nice and you should be proud of it. You've got a very good range of colors on your boards (the warehouse in particular) and I think the slightly darker tones on the warehouse compliment the office nicely. Your corners look square and the miters on the window trim are also well done. I'm not sure I completely understand the resin wall problem you encountered. When you say they were "twisted" does that mean you didn't have them completely square when you glued them together?

I have a couple of suggestions, if you'd like.
    The board edges on the front of the dock and some of the window trim appear fresh cut. An easy fix is to take a brush with some alcohol & India ink and touch it to those edges. That will instantly age them and take away the "newness".

To my eye, the color of the stones is a little bold (the back wall in picture 3). Perhaps they could be toned down with thinner or dulled with a dusting of chalks (grays or tans).

I wouldn't consider your work "amatureish" at all. In fact, I think you're on the right track and doing a fine job!
    Keep at it and keep posting pictures!

Bill
  • edited October 2011
    Guys,
    Greetings from downunder.
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions, they are gratefully received.
    In response to a few specific comments I'd like to add the following:
    JT
    As we Aussies like to say...'have a go mate'. The sooner you start the sooner you'll be reaping the rewards and sense of achievement. I'm looking forward to your first posting.

Bill
    I remember reading once that a modellers best friend is a camera. Once you think the model is finished take a picture of it and see what the camera thinks. I had trimmed the decking boards just prior to taking the picture and still need to distress the edges so wasn't surprised that the camera highlighted that. However, other areas of cut trim had completely escaped my notice, but not the cameras...I only saw the shortcomings once my camera pointed them out.
    The stone colouring on the back wall...yes I agree and well spotted. The front and one side wall have been hit with a dull grey wash and some MIG weathering powder. I had further plans for the back wall, and as they were a bit radical (surgery by Dremel) I didn't spend to much time on them. I was planning on a few extra features in that wall...see Scott Kinzey's Freight Company Diorama, The Logging Mining & Industrial Annual, Spring 2007.

(Kinzey, 2007)

Thanks again for your feedback, it is appreciated and I look forward to posting more images very soon.

Regards,
    Chris
  • Chris ,

Well , I think that you have done a pretty good job so far for a first time effort . My first Sierra West kit was an HO scale Tractor and Repair Shop which I did back in '99 and Brett might even have a photo or two of it in his Gallery . I think I did a reasonable job and this is mainly down to his instructions , which are the best , in my opinion .

The one thing I am really pleased to read is that you are "thinking out of the box" and not blindly doing the same as everyone else . That is the main reason for spending all the extra time making four walls as the master , even though most of them won't be seen if the builder follows the instructions to the letter , there is the option to build the kit differently . This is what I am hoping to see , where the modeller uses his imagination and uses the kit as a starting point to do something different .

I like the colouring of the stone walls , even if it is a bit bright in the photos , but as you say you have toned it down then all the better .

Did you use a razorsaw to distress the boards ? If you did , then it shows . If you didn't , then it looks like you did and it also shows ! A suggestion , search out photos of Chuck Doan's work and see how he does it . Whilst I wouldn't necessarily think you should copy him it will give you an insight into how the " best of the best" does it .

The timber windows don't look complete , are you intending putting an extra piece of wood at the bottom to make a cill? If not , then I think you ought to .

The inclusion of a timber floor in the warehouse is a good one . Doesn't the kit have one already ? As for mounting the doors , I would get hold of some Grandt Line engine house door hinges and use them . That will mean that you can have them opening to see the contents of the warehouse . I'm sure someone else will have the part number for the hinges .

You may be right when you say that your camera is your best friend , but it can also be your worst enemy !

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing some more progress shots ,

Nick

• Chris you have recieved some great advice from some of the best in the business as far as im concerned. Ill also admit that your first build is way better than my first was.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more progress.