visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

R.I.P. Dick Elwell

Really sad news i heard this morning. Dick Elwell passed away and I know he was friends with many of you. His Hoosac Valley HO layout is one of the finest I have ever seen and Dick was of the nicest guys I have known.

I was lucky enough to have visited Dick and his layout several times. His modeling was world class and he and his wife were very gracious hosts. He was really great in sharing his skill and ideas. I will post a link to any arrangements.

Comments

• In 2017, my wife and I went on a trip thru New England. Before we left , I called Dick to see if we could visit his layout. We flew to Boston from tucson and rented a car. I had never met him before. He was very kind and showed us his layout when we were in the area. It was a fabulous layout, like Mike says, one of the best that I haver ever seen and one of the nicest guys.
  • That is so sad. I have known Dick for many years. Always enjoyed going to see his layout. He was always so kind and welcoming whenever I would visit.
  • Dick was a very long time friend over 40 years we would talk on the phone every week about football.
    I will sure have a big empty space in my life Rest Well Dick ...........
  • edited October 2022
    What sad news. Dick was always so gracious and kind when I visited his magnificent layout. He will be missed. Condolences to his family.
  • Did not know Dick and have never met him...sounds like my loss for sure! Sad news.
  • KKarns said:

Did not know Dick and have never met him...sounds like my loss for sure! Sad news.

i'm right there with ken.

• I am with Ken and Kevin.
  • I know that many of you never met Dick Ewell so I want to share some of his work before it is taken down...Enjoy.......
    P1000933

P1000934

P1000935

P1000940

P1000943

P1000946
  • Great photos Carl. Thanks for sharing pictures of this amazing layout.
  • Nice quality layout. Thanks
  • Thanks also Carl. Several years ago when my wife and I traveled thru New England, we visited Dick and were just facinated in his layout. To bad somebody can't save his layout.
  • thanks for that carl.
  • Thanks Carl appreciate it.

Jerry
  • Good pics, thanks Carl.
  • The layout or part of it will be on display in Amherst Ma in January as I understand it my be sold off at that show.
    The pictures only show about 1/3 of it. ..........Carl.........