visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Sierra West Model

Comments

• Thanks Karl, I look forward to adding some more details to the empty spots on the shelves. I will also probably add some watch parts from the stash I got when I was doing the truck repair kit to the shelves. I don't plan to over do it you can get so much clutter it all mushes together.
    Thanks Bryan, I am glad I got the new wall casting from Brett. Now I don't need to worry about things not fitting on down the line because the walls were going to be just a little smaller than designed. Thanks, Randy
  • I did a few more detail parts last night. IMG_1520resized
    Also a few close ups of some of the parts. The one I like is the upside down wash tub. I wanted a galvanized metal look. The tub was primed black as usual then stippled with aged pewter leaving black showing through. Then I did it again lightly with silver. Then finishin g up with a few stipples of rust. IMG_1523resized
    The hand cart was next.IMG_1524resizrf
    I looked up pictures of Fordson and saw a green one from 1927 that looked good. IMG_1525resized
    Then the old wagon wheel.IMG_1527resized
    As I have said before the person that I am building these models for likes his beer. So I had to paint up some beer bottles. The paint was thickening as I brushed it on. So the those bumps and waves are condensation forming on the cold bottles. That is my story and I am sticking to it. IMG_1529resized
    As always any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • That is some fine looking paint jobs Randy!
  • Thanks, Emery before I would just slap on a color and forget it. Now I am trying to do s little research and try to think through what nature would do to the paint job. Randy
  • Impressive detail work Randy!
  • Excellent paint work Randy - very convincing.
  • Thanks, Ken and gjdale. I think it is the layering of the paint on the hand cart. I think there are four five different colors of paint on the cart. Thanks again, Randy
  • Your details look awesome. Nothing beats layering and you nailed it!
  • Thanks Brett that means a lot commin g from you. Randy
  • Nice job on those details! I especially like the wash tub.
  • Well done! Thanks for sharing.
  • Love all the details. Especially the hand truck. Layering the paint is always worth the time and effort.
  • Tom, ALCO, and Bryan, Thanks for your comments. I did a few more last night, and will do some more tonight. There are such a lot of them to work on. Randy
  • Looks great.
  • Thanks Joel,always nice to hear from you. Most of the detail parts are painted now. So I thought it was time to start adding a fews to the walls. The hinges were added to the big door. Weathered with chalk and alcohol glued in place and then some chalk powder was brushed on the wood to simulate rust washing down from the hinges. IMG_1534resized
    I need to hit it with a little dull coat. I see a little shine from the epoxy. The inside of the left wall has the wood blocks for the drill and the locker. IMG_1533resized
    More details to come. Any comments or suggestions are as always welcomed. Thanks, Randy
  • That door, superb!
  • Nicely done Randy! The hinges and door look terrific. That's certainly one issue with Epoxy.
  • Like that door! The weathering on the wood is spot on. I especially like the saw marks.
  • Thanks Brett and Ken. I may try some gray chalk first. I don t want to destroy the rust effect on then wood. If that doesn't work I will try to spray the dull coat on some plastic and then use a small brush to cover the epoxy gloss. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again, Randy
  • Thanks Tom
  • Fantastic rust on those hinges and the wood colour and texture is superb.
  • Thanks Joel, now if I can just git rid of the shine with out messing it up. Randy
  • Looks fantastic Randy, very nicely done.

Spray some dulcote into a cap, use a small detail brush to just 'paint' it over the shiney spot.

and/or

use a small detail brush to 'paint' on some chalk/alcohol just on the shiney spot, use the same chalk as the wood colour.
    Or use some black, and then use the detail brush again when dry to dust on a little rust colour.

Really nice progress so far.
  • Excellent work on that door...the tone and coloration is great....love the rust effects too....
  • Thanks, Karl and Art. Karl, it is nice to hear that my ideas about chalk and or dull coat brushed on are on the right track. Thanks, Randy
  • Looks great Randy. The weathering on the door is amazing
  • Hi Randy.

I wiuld never say this is your second SWSM kit. You work looks brilliant.
  • Thanks, sdrees and Wes. Yes Wes it is my second SW kit. Now I used to model in HO and now I build in S/Sn3. I have built other kits and scratched built over the years. But never other kit with the instructions or details that Brett provides. Thanks for your comments. Randy
  • I don't seam to be getting along very fast with this build. But I guess that is all right I have until April to finish it. Better slow and take my time and not mess up to bad. I made corrections to the epoxy on the door last night and painted a few more castings. I went with my first thought as supported by Karl and used chalk and alcohol. IMG_1536resized
    I think it came out looking fine with out messing up the over all appearance. I then painted the water cooler with sever colors of metallic paint. These were stippled on so they did completely cover the black or each other but blinded together. IMG_1537 (1)resized
    I ended with a little AK dark rust paint. Then did pretty much the same thing with three of the gas cans.IMG_1538resized
    That is all for now. Again all suggestions, comments or criticisms are always welcomed. Thanks, Randy
  • edited November 2022
    Good save on the door Randy, blends nicely.
    (I missed your original comment, but, glad you were thinking on the same lines and it worked out for you.)

Water cooler and gas cans look amazing. The intricate details on the water cooler that come out during/after painting are incredible.
    You've done a great job on them all.