visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Sierra West Model

Comments

• Thanks Bryan, Emery, and Ken. I just followed Dr. Grunge's advice. Going back to the basement now to work on another wall. Thanks again, Randy
  • i think the walls look outstanding....
  • Nice coloring and detailing on the wood.
  • Great colour and texture. Really tells a story.
  • Kevin, Tom, and Joel thank you. The wood was first stained, wiped with an old t-shirt, and then had some details added. I then stained it again with with gray chalk and alcohol. IMG_1428resizrd
    This picture shows a piece of wood which has had the second stain. To me it looked to dark and some of the detail was lost in the darkness. I then took the t-shirt and scrubbed the wood very hard.IMG_1429resized
    All the knots are now visible. Little grain is visible because I only used the fine brisel brush on this board. I hope to finish up the back wall tonight and post pictures tomorrow. again comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks, Randy
  • Terrific work and progress Randy.
    I'm also enjoying your detailed explanations of the various steps you took.

Keep up the great and informative posts. Thx
  • Thanks Karl. Coming from you I consider your comments great prase. I consider your work top notch. Randy
  • That worked
  • Looks great, keep at it!
  • Here is the back wall with siding. I will cut off the board ends when the glue dries. I did not spend too much time with making joints between boards. After the third and forth boards from the top I just used full boards. If this goes where I think it will on Rich's layout the back wall will not be seen. IMG_1430resized
    This speeded up the construction because I only had to detail the right end of the board. I have about half of the right end wall sided. I plan to finish that tonight along with the left gable end. Thanks and again any commen ts or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Looking real good Randy. Keep on keepin on.
  • Thanks Bryan, Brett, and Emery. Always great to hear from all of you. Randy
  • Wall looks great Randy, the random saw banding adds some nice interest to the piece. You may want to clean up the window openings a bit! Hah!:)
  • Thanks Ken, I will when I get all the walls finished. Speaking of finished walls, I finished the siding on the right end wall tonight. I took more time than I was expecting. I added more joints between boards, slicing sides off the boards, and detailing the ends of the boards. I have two pictures of the right end. The first picture is the wall just as I finished it. I deliberately made this side much more weathered. This side of the building is more exposed to the weather. There is little or no overhang so I added many more broken and cracked boards.IMG_1431resized
    There are several glaring lite spots on the boards ends and sides. So I got out my trusty gray chalk and alcohol to try to tone town the lite colored areas.IMG_1432resized
    I still may need to cover a few lite areas but for the most part I am happy with the color. And yes Ken, I will cut out the window openings when all the walls are finished. Thanks, again any comment and suggestions will be welcomed. Randy
  • Would someone please award this man the Dr. Grunge award for the month?
  • Well deserved!
  • Great texturing and weathering on the boards. color turned out very nice! The distressing and detailing of the boards is also nice!
  • Thanks Alco and Ken, it was the look I was going for because it being an exposed wall. I just hope I did not take it to far. Randy
  • Thanks Tom, as I said just above I hope I did not take it to far. Randy
  • ALCO said:

Would someone please award this man the Dr. Grunge award for the month?

KKarns said:

Well deserved!

WINNER! From Doc G. himself.

I don't think you went too far at all. Going to look fantastic.

• Thanks Brett I will be happy to take the complement. Well of to trim off the extra wood and do the left gable end. Thanks again, Randy
  • The extra work paid off.
  • Thanks Bryan for the kind words. As I said last night I got some more done on the walls. In fact I now have all five walls finish. The first picture shows the gable end and the shed wall in the breezeway. IMG_1434resized
    As you can see I just slapped the boards on the gable end. These boards will not be seen. The breezeway wall was made lighter in color and more brownish. Also I did very little distressing of the wood because the wall would not be exposed to the weather. The exception to that were the two boards at each end of the wall. I speculated that these two would get more weather from sun and rain blowing in the big open door of the breezeway. Now all five walls of the handcar repair shed are finished. Thanks and any comments or suggestions are welcomed. RandyIMG_1435resized
  • Really nice Randy! Look forward to seeing these walls together, windows will really finish them off.
  • Outstanding looking walls Randy, beautifully done.
  • I will echo that !!!!
  • Like the coloration and details....great progress...
  • Thank you Ken, Karl, and Robert for your kind comments. Randy
  • Thanks Art, The walls and big door are finished. Now for the tedious but fun part of the build. I plan to do the primer on the details Thursday when it warms up to above sixty here in St. Louis. Maybe I will put the frames around the windows tonight. Randy
  • I am really liking the job you have done with the wood grain/texture/knots.