visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard at Foss' Landing - Build Log

Comments

• I went ahead and followed the instructions by cutting the tarpaper into 1/2" wide strips and then cutting those strips into 1.5" lengths (figuring that any shorter lengths required would subsequently be cut from these).

091 Tar Paper Roof 1

The instructions are well laid out for placing these strips, except that for the third strip (ie the second row) a single piece is called for, and the maximum length specified of 1.5" is not long enough for this span. No big deal, I just added a second piece, being sure to offset the joins from the first row. Here are the strips in place and the roof attached.

092 Tar Paper Roof 2

The capping pieces for the peaks are then fitted - a little tricky, but we got there - and some final weathering added. I'm considering adding some "flashing" along the joint with the wall, with a coloured glue mix as I've seen in some other logs.

093 Tar Paper Roof 3

A special laser cut jig is provided for cutting the rafters to length, with the correct angle on the inboard end (where they attach to the walls). This is a really neat addition that should make cutting the rafters fool-proof. I don't know why, but somewhere along the way I must have made an error in the placement of my roof, as all of my rafters were considerably too long. I ended up adjusting their lengths individually prior to final placement and the end result seems to be okay. I still have no idea where I went wrong.

094 Rafters 1

And finally, here is an overview of the wall at this stage.

095 Dormer Overview

I still have to add the awnings and place the signs before completing this wall.

Grant
  • I had some unexpected free time today, so took advantage to progress the build. First up, the awnings were prepared in the same way as the tar paper sheets.

096 Awning Preps

After cutting them free from the carrier sheet and folding along the score lines, I followed the instructions and added a little chalk powder in the creases. I used Rembrandt 343.5 for this as it seemed to be the closest match to the base colour. Attaching the awnings was fairly straightforward. The signs were then trimmed a little and glued in position.

097 Rear Wall Complete

And that completes the Rear Wall. On to the Left Wall next....

Grant
  • Very nice progress.........Carl.....
  • Nicely done!
  • Looks great!
  • Nice color
  • Starting to come together nicely.
  • Good looking wall, everything goes together well.
  • Thanks for the encouraging comments folks. :smile:

Wall Construction – Wall Details (Left Wall)

Details for the Left Wall commence with attaching the Dormer to the wall and adding the floor joists under the Dormer. This is done in the same way as for the Rear Wall just completed.

098 Dormer Joists 1

099 Dormer Joists 2

The next item to add is the Sawdust Collector. This is a cast metal item that was cleaned up with a combination of #11 blade, file and brass brush mounted in my Proxxon rotary tool.

100 Sawdust Collector 1

Here’s what it looks like after clean-up.

101 Sawdust Collector 2

It was then blackened using Jax Pewter Black and buffed with a felt wheel in the rotary tool.

102 Sawdust Collector 3

It was mounted to the wall with epoxy darkened with a little black paint to represent tar and pitch, allowing a small amount to ooze out around the joint. Once dry, a wooden brace was added between the Sawdust Collector and the wall.

103 Sawdust Collector 4

104 Sawdust Collector 5

Next, the landing is constructed using the provided template.

105 Landing 1

Rather than cutting directly onto the template, I used scraps of wood to set the length of a stop on my Chopper in order to ensure pieces were identical in length and cut square.

Once cut, I placed some double-sided tape over the template and glued the parts together over the template, using a straight edge to ensure that it was square. Once dry, some nail holes were added and the piece removed from the template.

106 Landing 2

The landing is then attached to the main wall and the Dormer door wall. Two braces are cut to length and angle using the template as a guide, and attached to the landing and the wall.

107 Landing 3

That completes the Left Wall (for now). Here is an overview of this wall to date.

108 Left Wall Complete

Next, we move on to the Right Wall…
  • Doing a great job!
  • Thanks very much Brett - I put it down to an excellent kit, very clever design, and great instructions!

Details for the Right Wall commence with the large awning for the Loading Dock. A laser cut card piece forms the substrate, which is painted on the underside and has tarpaper applied to the topside. The preparation for this is the same as previously described. There are four support struts, again in laser cut card, which are also painted and the two outer supports also have siding and trim applied. I got a bit carried away with the process and forgot to take many in-progress pictures. Here is the back of the almost completed awning.

109 Loading Dock Awning 1

And a shot to show the siding and trim applied to the end pieces.

110 Loading Dock Awning 2

The top of the awning then has the streaking effect applied as previously described.

111 Loading Dock Awning 3

The awning is then attached to the wall using the cleverly designed location markers. An elbow vent is also provided as a metal casting. This was prepared and blackened as previously described and glued in place with some epoxy coloured with a little black paint. The paint/glue is dulled with a little grey chalk and some dull cote once the glue is dry to take off some of the shine. Here is the completed (for now) wall.

112 Right Wall Complete

The next step will be to join the walls together and add the roof, before adding the two remaining dormers that were prepared earlier.

• Nice job Grant. I see that you did a very neet job of folding the tar paper over the ends of the awning. A detail not seen as often as it should be. Randy
  • Thanks very much Randy.

With the walls complete, they were assembled – in pairs initially – with the aid of my magnetic gluing jig and some small clamps.

113 Wall Glue-up

The two sections were then glued together as a single structure. Here are a few shots going around the building.

114 Walls Complete 1

115 Walls Complete 2

116 Walls Complete 3

117 Walls Complete 4

Two braces are added to the base, to make the structure more rigid and to help keep everything square. A view block is also added by means of a piece of black card cut to fit.

118 View Block

Another pair of braces are added level with the top of the side walls, and then the ridge beam is glued in place.

119 Ridge Beam

The roof substrate underside and edges are painted first, and the roof card is then glued in place. At this point the two right wall Dormers are also glued in place.

120 Roof

Joists are then added to the underside of the Dormers as previously done for other dormers.

121 Dormer Joists

The Shingles strips had a preliminary preparation way back at the start under “advance preparations” when they were given a light spray of AK11008 Grimy Grey (my substitute for Floquil Earth).

122 Shingle Preps 1

The shingle strips are now cut from the sheets and individually treated with chalk and alcohol. The basic procedure from the instruction manual is to scrape some raw umber chalk (Rembrandt 408.3) over the strip, then blot with a soft round brush dipped in alcohol. A little white chalk is immediately scraped on top, and the same brush used to blot and blend most of it in.

Once all these strips had been so treated and were dry, a stiffer, dry brush was used to blot some grey chalk (Rembrandt 408.9) randomly on top. This gives a nice, aged appearance with some natural variations between strips. Some leftover solid scraps from the carrier sheet were also saved and treated in the same way as these get used for part of the shingling process.

123 Shingle Preps 2

Now for the clever part of the roof design.

The lines visible on the roof card are actually strips that peel away to reveal adhesive beneath. We begin by measuring and cutting a plain strip (from the scrap), and then lifting the first row of adhesive and placing the strip. This additional strip, lifts the first row of shingles off the roof in a very prototypical way. The first row of shingles is then measured, cut, and glued on top of this row. I forgot to take a picture of the first step, but here is the first row of shingles in place.

124 Shingles 1

After this first row, strips of shingle are simply measured, cut and placed by simply revealing the next row of adhesive. The protective paper on the row above acts as a guide to but the shingle layers against. The strips of shingles are also provided with an even number of whole and half shingles on the ends, so it is easy to alternate rows such that the rows of shingles are staggered.

Here is the second row in place.

125 Shingles 2

And the third row.

126 Shingles 3

And here is the first three rows in place across the entire side of that roof.

127 Shingles 4

I could be at this for a while yet…

• edited November 2022
    Wow, fantastic progress.
    The structure really looks great now it is all together and all that terrific initial work is paying off well in the results so far.
    Walls, windows, signage and dormers all came together beautifully.

The roof is going to look superb also judging by the pics of the coloured shingles all waiting and ready to be installed.

The engineering of the process and the construction design by Brett makes this a masterpiece of a kit to build.
    You are showing this off so very well and your results are something you should be very proud of.

I can't wait to see the finished roof, great start so far.
  • Thank you so much Karl!
  • edited November 2022
    It seems from the look of that pile of shingles you have now become comfortable and relaxed with the technique of using the chalk and alcohol to get a nicely random effect.
    It does take a little practice and playing around at first use, but you appear to have mastered it now.
    Very well done.
  • Thanks again Karl. Yes, I do feel much more comfortable with the technique now. My only concern with the shingles is whether the colouring looks about right overall. I’ve seen others with a much lighter brown, but I followed the instructions to the letter in terms of colour choice.
  • Looks great. Your really doing a nice job give yourself credit.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry
  • I really like the red awnings. Makes the building just pop.
  • Thanks Bryan
  • You didn't quit on us did you ?
    Or are you still shingling ?
  • Oh man. Awesome work! I wouldn’t mind about the coloring to much. If you like it it’s fine. And I think you should be very happy with this! It makes me want to start mine and I’m following along with interest. Those WIP pics are really helpful!
  • Thanks Jeroen.

Karl - no, I haven’t quit, but things have been on hold for a few weeks. I was off doing a Furniture Design course for a couple of weeks (in support of my other hobby of woodwork/furniture making), and a couple of instances of “life” getting in the way. I’ll be back to shingling tomorrow.
  • It’s been almost a month since the last update, so thought I’d better show “proof of life”! Of course, it’s been the usual excuses of life getting in the way, but it has been a fairly busy month for things other than modelling. Amongst that was two weeks spent on a Furniture Design Course – my other hobby, 1:1 scale modelling! A great course taught by Canadian furniture maker Michael Fortune, except for the part where we all came down with a particularly nasty Gastro virus (the Noro Virus) on the Thursday of the first week. Fortunately, we were all better again by the time Monday came around, so we didn’t lose too much course time.

I finally got back to the modelling bench today and was able to progress with roof shingling. The first task was to insert two odd-shaped pieces around both of the Dormers, underneath where the flashing will go.

128 Shingles 5

The Dormer roofs were then installed.

129 Shingles 6

Then the flashing was installed on both Dormer roofs where they meet the main roof. These were simply cut from paper templates and painted/chalked as previously done for the Dormer side walls.

130 Shingles 7

Shingles were then placed from the roof edge to the Dormer roof, overlapping the flashing.

131 Shingles 8

These were continued up to the 10th row, just shy of the peak of the flashing, and the side of the Dormer Roof was shingled in the same way.

132 Shingles 9

The whole process was repeated at the other end with the opposite Dormer. Next will be to complete the shingling between the Dormers up to the same level.

Applying shingles is a little bit like tying ratlines on a three-masted sailing ship – it seems to take forever, but eventually we’ll get there….

Grant
  • Nice work Grant.
  • Shingling continues, albeit slowly....

Once past the dormers, it is plain sailing up to the cupola.

133 Shingles 10

The cupola is constructed in much the same way as the main building - a laser cut substrate with weathered boards and end trim attached, and then windows with peeling paint. Some additional trim is added to the base to lift it off the main roof a little to assist with placing the flashing.

134 Shingles 11

Flashing is then added and the shingling up to the ridge line is completed. The final row is comprised of a special set of smaller shingles.

135 Shingles 12

Now to turn to the opposite side of the roof.....
  • I like it.
  • Shingling large areas is a tedious process. You have done a great job with the coloring and spacing.
  • Thanks Bryan and Tom.