visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine revisited

edited June 2022 in HO Scale Builds
I recently posted this on Bookface which I am on primarily to find out what my kids and grandkids have been doing lately. There are a couple of good groups that are worthwhile but as most of you know they all are time-robbers. It is fun to see what Chuck Doan, Karl Osolinski, lately Ken Karnes, and some other pretty good modelers are doing these days.

Brett's mine is one of my favorite builds ever- somewhere on this forum a long time ago is a thread that Dustin H and I did where we built this at the same time which was a lot of fun. I'm not sure the history of the kit is totally accurate so Brett please edit if I'm not right, which is often the case.

"Here is another oldie but goodie I'm pretty sure I haven't posted before. This is a build of sierrawestscalemodels.com HO Deer Creek Mine, originally a design by Roger Malinowski of stoneycreekdesigns.com that Roger produced in O scale. If I remember correctly Brett and Roger traded designs and Roger did an O version of one of Brett's. My version is a Black Hills of SD Puriot mine. To my knowledge the only Puriot left in the world is on my still-life layout. I actually have built something lately that I hope to show soon if it is worthy. The vintage photo is a rework by Brett Gallant of SWSM."

Deer Creek Mine 1 800

DC Mine without roofing copy

Roof going on DC Mine copy

Mine 4 800

DC Mine Brett vintage photo copy

Comments

• Hi Mike.
    That is a great looking Mine the colours are just as they should be nice work so be proud. ......Carl.......
  • Pretty spectacular , Mikeā€¦.

Terry
  • Fantastic to walk in from work Mike and be welcomed by some of your great work.

Terrific weathering, colouring and construction as always by you. Always a joy to see your work and see a post from yourself.

I look forward to seeing what you've been working on lately due to that little teaser...
  • yeah mike, we're kkinda dying to see it.
  • I still rue the day that I stopped to talk with Roger at a train meet if Pittsfield Ma.....he had three of the O scale mines left....I said I'd be back in about a half hour and probably grab one....much to my chagrin...all three went before I got back....
  • edited June 2022
    I think that was the show where I first met you Art, you came and sat behind the show tables chatting to me and Brett for quite some time, which was a great time.
    Sorry to say, but two of those kits went home with me....
    I may be wrong and have my shows mixed up but that seems familiar to me.

Mikes build of this amazing SierraWest kit is still one of my favorite builds of Bretts' incredible HO kit.
  • Hey Mike, it was nice seeing your beautiful work on the Deer Creek Mine over on Finescale Artists Railroad Techniques Facebook page. SierraWest gets some good exposure there. Stellar modeling as we have come to expect from your bench!
  • Mike as always another beautiful build! Hope all is well.

Jerry
  • What a joy to see this wonderful diorama again! Thanks for posting Mike. btw, Mike has volunteered to come down to Texas and help me count stripwood... so if you're short blame Mike!
  • Thanks fellows! Soon I'll be known as the ol' stripwood counter.

I see I cleverly posted the same photo twice and I couldn't find a way to edit after it was up. This is the photo of the 12x12 diorama that drops into the layout.

Mine 3 800
  • So Mike your going to be a stripper!! I mean stripwood counter!!

Jerry
  • Rim shot
  • I see I cleverly posted the same photo twice and I couldn't find a way to edit after it was up.

That just gave us twice the opportunity to further enjoy and study your excellent work Mike.

(Taken care of.)
  • Hey Mike, what a great job you did on this diorama.
  • Totally agree Karl....the shows all tend to meld together....we've had the opportunity to chat at many....I think the last was Milwaukee...had plans on making the NNG in Tacoma....I'd need to sell an organ to afford the fuel....so I'm not making it....we'll cross paths again I'm sure.....it's probably best I don't have the kit...as it would be on the shelf with a lot of others....my efforts to try and get into the shop keep getting thwarted....I do get a chance to do some stuff...but far from the time I need and want to spend on my modeling....
  • Nice diorama Mike! Really like the siding color.
  • Thanks guys. Brett I volunteered to go to Texas to visit you and the kids- what is standard rate for the Stripwood Counters and Packers of America union?
  • Time spent with Brett!!!

Jerry
  • Jerry said:

Time spent with Brett!!!

Jerry

Love the way you think!