visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

E.J.Whiley Build

Comments

• Steve…very nice integration of all the buildings in the scene….looks natural and well thought out
    Terry
  • Thanks everyone!

Randy, I might do that. I'll try it both ways and see which one I like. My layout is full of detailed areas nobody can really see, don't worry I still have a mess of details to add in the visible areas too.

Bryan, a couple black patches might add some interesting detail. It might break up the red a bit.
  • Outstanding work Steve! A wonderful addition to the RR.

Jerry
  • Terrific update Steve! Fantastic work on this
    project and nice seeing your layout.
  • This continues to inspire, really love seeing how it will fit into the layout!
  • Thanks Jerry, Ken and Brett!
  • Fantastic work on the structure Steve and a beautiful layout.
    Roofs on the structure are looking great and the placement of the structure fits nicely with everything else.

I have to offer you something to think about...
    A quick photoshop idea for you.

Steve Custer EJ 01

Steve Custer EJ 02

I'm sitting here admiring all your work and just thinking out loud.
  • Sorry Steve,
    after looking at the other angles of your layout I now realise that the switch I deleted was actually destined to feed your excellent Quincy's scrap yard.

So, I photoshopped it back in and also added in the track you had originally planned.

I think the area works well.

Steve Custer EJ 03

Cant wait to see you fill it out with scenery and whatever else you do to blend it in to your previous excellent work.
  • Played in photoshop some more,

I actually kinda like it better with EJ brought forward an inch or two. It really seems to open up the space much more and the added track doesnt seem to cramp things so much.
    I think it gives more opportunities for scenery and a spacious feel.

As I said, just some thoughts for you, I'll look forward to seeing the reality you create.

Steve Custer EJ 04
  • Steve, I like Karl's photoshop ideas. If it were me, I would combine photos two and three. Move EJ's forward a little but keep the siding switch back as it is in photo two. I would love to have a chance to switch this area in an OP session. Beautiful layout. Randy
  • Thanks for the ideas Karl. They are all good but I don't want to add any more switches to this area, its already has 5 in about a 24" sq area. I started connecting the road to the one that runs along O'Neills.

IMG_3220_result
    The road is in place but the structure is not. I ended up lining up the rear loading dock with the switch that services the scrap yard. I think that makes the most sense mainly because I like the covered porch facing the front of the layout.

IMG_3221_result
    This is the back shot. I'm not set on this so tonight I'll flip it around and post a photo of the building in the same spot reversed.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
  • Fantastic work Steve. Love seeing SWSM structures in play on a layout, particularly one as nice as this one!
  • edited March 2022
    Yep, it's always tricky to pick the best side of one of Bretts kits to put towards the front of a layout because all the kits/structures look great from every angle.

hmm, install the structure on a lazy suzan.... haha
  • I keep forgetting to mention I love the covered bridge, and its placement, it fits the scene perfectly.
  • Thanks Ken and Karl!

Karl, I had the same problem with the facing of O'Neills. The tank scene and the loading dock are pretty difficult to see in the last shot since they face the rear of the layout. The best answer is to have all SW structures on a thin peninsula so you can really see all sides.

I'm glad you like the covered bridge. I always wanted to build one and I'm glad to hear you say it fits the scene because I wasn't sure if I was forcing it in just to build one. I loosely based it off one here in town.

When the layout is done, from SW I'll have Scotia Supply, O'Neills, Quincy Salvage, Foss Landing, The Shipyard, Morton's foundry, E.J Whiley and the last one to build after this is the Railroad Camp. No more large real estate left after that.
  • Steve just beautiful! With your building techniques and the wonderful job you've done on the layout maybe you need a bigger space to keep this quality construction going!

Jerry
  • Great placement of structures. Really like how you have scenicked around O'Neils.
  • Looks great. I love the scene. I do wonder about a small elevation change since it is not serviced by rail you can add a bit more interest.
  • Looks awesome.
  • Thanks everyone!

Joel, I was thinking that but since I tied it into the rear track instead of something up front, I decided to keep it at track level. It's a great suggestion though, even a 1/4 elevation change really helps structures feel more natural on a layout.
  • I got a bit more done on the kit over the last few days. Buttoned up a few small things to start to finish it out.

IMG_3233_result
    One of the best features of this kit in my opinion is the 3-dimensional roof sign. It starts with a laser cut base, I painted it to match the walls.

IMG_3234_result
    Each laser cut letter gets glued over the scribed letter on the backer, super easy. I painted my letters to match the trim (AK anthracite).

IMG_3235_result
    All the letters are in place.

IMG_3240_result
    I glued it to the roof, I thought it would be much more difficult to get placed correctly but it only took me a few minutes.

I just need to add a few chimneys and then I'm going to glue the main building on the layout so I can add all the loading docks, stairs and start to detail around it. I already built all the sub-assemblies minus the railings.

Thanks for following along.
  • Sign looks great Steve, I like the colour combination.
    Nice job getting it situmacated
  • Great job on the sign Steve. Your right it is a really nice detail piece!

Jerry
  • Steve, I really like the roof especially the way the peek cap folds and wrinkles where it folds over the edge. Good Job. Randy
  • Thank Karl, Jerry and Randy
  • Great sign Steve. Really coming together now.
  • Really coming together nice.
  • Love that sign too! Everything is coming together so well.
  • Thanks Joel, Bryan and Brett!
  • i'm still gobstopped about the layout....