visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

JimM's Truck Repair

edited May 2023 in O Scale Builds
Let the games begin

IMG_0771

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Ooooh , this is going to be good, bring it on Jim.
    I'm looking forward to watching your work on this great kit.
    Post lot's of pics and updates please...
  • Looking forward to watching your build. One of my favorite kits to build.
  • I'm not sure about the color and won't be able to decide until tomorrow in the daylight; my lighting really sucks. This is after the 1st attempt of chalking and alcohol. I am having trouble getting the white balance of the camera adjusted properly to show the true colors.

IMG_0772 (2)
  • I like the color and the knots. The sawbanding really pops.

Color is subjective and you should make it the color that you like the most.

For me, I would add a couple coats of thin AI and give a light gray dry brushing now. Once the walls are up I’d go at the lower wall some more with black/green.
  • edited February 2022
    I also have trouble sometimes conveying the true color of what I'm working on to show on the screen.
    I have incandescents and daylights over my desk, I can have either on independently but always have both on when working.
    Photo's however rarely show what I see in front of me.
    As much as we try to show the true colors we see in front of us it rarely conveys well over the screen, without some effort, and we don't always have time to do that while building.

As long as the color looks great to you in person that is what is most important, conveying that during the build itself I think is secondary.

The important things to show, (for me) are, build quality, build effects, detailing, weathering and effects, and variations.

That last picture of yours shows all of these things clearly and excellently, knots are great, saw banding is subtle, tone and color variations show up well but are blended... this is what is important to see for me.
    Color tones vary from screen to screen, and I know we all really want to show the 'true color', but,
    I dont sweat it too much anymore, unless that is the specific purpose of my post.

Sorry Jim, I guess thats a long ass way of saying "those boards look great".
  • Nice start Jim, look forward to following along.
  • Board detail is excellent, can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Off to a great start. The boards look perfect.
  • Thanks guys, they look OK in the daylight to me, so I'll continue. I stained a few extra pieces of scrap wood to give Brownbr's suggestion a try. Karl, if I was drinking coffee while I read your post, I would have had it all over my screen when I read your last sentence; that was hilarious. Thanks so much, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.
  • Looks pretty realistic from here!
  • A great start, the boards really look good, Nice texture and variable shades.
  • It seems that the siding has really lightened up some since it has sat for a few days, so I need to decide if I want to make some changes there. In the meantime, I've finished building the walls; dang those fire breaks are small. I'm pretty sure I could have framed and entire real house in the time it took to build these. I can't imagine doing this in HO scale, yikes. I kept the tar paper over the doors intact so it would help support the wall until I can glue it all up.

IMG_0786
  • Looking great Jim, I really like the lighter 'faded' shades on the tar paper.
  • Jim, great tight job with the 2x4 studs. I don’t see any gaps top or bottom.
  • Fantastic Jim! Looks great.
  • Well done Jim!
  • Thanks, I'm plugging away at the siding now. Crazy how long it takes.
    Randy, I have the Ultimation sander with the repeater accessory, it really helps to get small pieces the exact same size.
  • Tarpaper turned out nice
  • Jim I have that too. It is a great help in getting things just so.
  • Jim M said:

Thanks, I'm plugging away at the siding now. Crazy how long it takes.
    Randy, I have the Ultimation sander with the repeater accessory, it really helps to get small pieces the exact same size.

i just ordered a repeater this morning knowing i have this kit on the shelf.

• Kevin, you won't regret it. It's what makes the sander a great tool. I still have to use a razor blade to remove the last bit of fuzz left after sanding to length.
  • Jim M said:

Kevin, you won't regret it. It's what makes the sander a great tool. I still have to use a razor blade to remove the last bit of fuzz left after sanding to length.

i wonder if putting finer grit sandpaper on the sander would eliminate the fuzz. i've been wondering that since i bought the sander.

• I use a professional finger nail file to remove the fuzz. kevin, I don't think that will do any good. You might try turning the wood over so the fuzz is in top just before you get to the length. Randy
  • randyp said:

I use a professional finger nail file to remove the fuzz. kevin, I don't think that will do any good. You might try turning the wood over so the fuzz is in top just before you get to the length. Randy

that's pretty much what i use too.

• I just use a razor blade to cut it off, that's easy and quick. I've tried turning it over at the end of the sanding and it helps a bit, but I still felt I needed to cut with the razor blade.
  • Coming along right nice there Jim. Have to agree with you on the fire breaks. They sure are tiny. I like your idea of not cutting off the tarpaper in the big doors for added support. Every little bit helps.
  • I've been plugging away at this for a bit and have really enjoyed doing this kit. I thought it would be a fairly simple little build but there is so much to it. I'm just having a blast with this one. I've got the building planted and I am now just starting to put the junk and greenery around the building to make it come alive.
    First a few around the inside of the rooms.
    Had to get the parts book out to order some parts for that old Ford 2-cylinder tractor motor
    IMG_1113

Looks like I need to sweep up the floor.
    IMG_1097

IMG_1118

IMG_1115

IMG_1124

A few outside but I've got quite a bit left to do.

IMG_1104 (2)

A little engine work going on.
    IMG_1092(1)

I'll post again when I get the outside finished. Thanks for looking.

• edited April 2022
    Looks so good Jim, you have a great scene coming together.
    All of those details on the walls and shelves are so nicely done, you should be feeling really good about these results.
    I specifically noticed the plug wires, distributer, etc. on the engine block and the fan.

Also in the last pic, the subtle rust on the cabinet hinges and the spare parts (4 pistons) spread out on the "instruction sheet/soaker paper", the block on one side and the head on the other side of the bench, and of course the oily rag to wipe your hands. Then there's the head gasket under the head, now that's some really nice, thoughtful detailing.

You must have done that job once or twice in real life, great little scene.
  • Thanks so much Karl, I'm really enjoying this kit. Yes, I once had to replace the valves on my car. I did the valve job on my kitchen table in my apartment. I could have used this workshop then.
  • The extra effort is paying off on all of the scenes