visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Your work always amazes me.....then I remember that you model in HO and my mind gets blown......I keep trying to get into the shop but I get distracted or busy or the PTS gets to me and nothing gets done.....tonight I am making myself get down there to get re-organized so I can get back to work.....the O Foundry is just sitting there waiting...
  • Thanks much Bryan!

Appreciate that Art and nice hearing from you. Carving out some bench time can be a juggling act that's for sure. I think your idea of re-organizing works as a good motivator. A clean bench invites progress!
  • Love the added depth and detail on that window.
  • Thanks much Brett. These windows, as in every SierraWest kit I have built up, are so enjoyable to work with. I reiterate here the importance of windows being in scale and nothing matches these laser cut wood windows for accuracy, look, scale and versatility.
  • edited February 2022
    Further work on the windows for the main structure of Shelby's. This is the right wall lower level. There are only two windows on the lower level, and this one faces the overhead crane work area. Thusly, I decided to add protective bars to the lower half to add some interest and variety to the many wonderfully designed windows in this kit. A few signs on the inside round out the details.

IMG_2198
  • edited February 2022
    IMG_2198 (1)

The close up test....
  • Perfecto!...Rick
  • Must be on the wrong side of the tracks if they need bars on the windows.
  • Lol...right you are Bryan...bars wouldn't do much good with regards to theft as the large opening on that side of the building is completely open! Maybe to protect the window from damage..I don't know...just like the look I guess.
  • Hey thanks Rick!
  • edited February 2022
    Great work on the siding.

Jerry
  • Appreciate that Jerry...still working on siding and have the tool shop to complete.
  • Ken, your creativity when it comes to adding interesting details to the already wonderful kits is remarkable. I can't wait to see what you are up to next. That close up really shows the great detail of the paint chipping on the walls. Like the addition of the signs to the windows.
  • Hey Thanks so much Tom! Easy to get carried away as these kits afford so many nice detailing opportunities. Working on the second story gib crane and details...all day project! Lol.
  • Took a break from working on the tool shop siding. Opted to build the front upper level hoist boom. I wanted it to look as if the main beam traveled inside the structure for solid support. I cut a opening in the siding a bit larger than the dimension of the beam and glued the beam in place. Then fashioned styrene strips for the angles supports and a card stock piece for the bolted on support plate. Small detail that took most of the morning and a few cups of coffee to complete...of course that's at my speed. When the wall is glued in its final resting spot, I'll attach the hoist and pulley arrangement that I came up with. More later and back to the siding...

IMG_2208

IMG_2205
  • Always an interesting twist to your builds, Ken….you come up with so many small ideas that add to the whole!!
    Terry
  • Fantastic. I can't even imagine modeling in HO scale and then I see this. Very impressive.
  • Thanks so much Terry. Brett had designed an impressive resin hoist casting for this location. I had an idea for the actual rope hoist mechanism that I think looks very nautical that required a slightly different arrangement to the hoist support so I ended up making this one.

Hey Jim, appreciate that and nice hearing from you.
  • it aced the close up test.
  • Thanks Kev, nice compliment as that's often hard to do in 1:87! Lol.
  • The wall is fantastic and the hoist gives that extra little bit.
  • Thanks Bryan, the hoist pulley system turned out really well...can’t wait to get it hung up there!
  • Quick update on Shelby's...I have completed all the walls, including doors and windows, of the main structure. I will now turn my attention to the interior wall detailing that I want to get done while I'm able to lie them flat and before glueing them together.

Here's a fun picture of the pile of unassembled walls...

IMG_2242
  • Those are some nice looking walls sir.
  • edited February 2022
    Thanks much Emery. Can't wait to get things together to where I'm detailing and arranging all those 3D parts I have planned for this diorama. Your efforts are so much appreciated my friend! So far I think the large scale crackle paint peel is working out. I'll have a better feel for it once the building is all together. I really like how controllable the peel is as illustrated by the large open front lower wall at the middle bottom of the picture. More peel lower down and less where the upper level overhangs this wall seen above it. The skinny two walls with the pointed angles...the one on the left is under the porch/stairs, thus less peel versus the one on the right that is exposed to the weather at the rear of the structure.
  • I think the paint worked also. The only time it will ever look out of scale is in a close up.
  • I'm very pleased with the scale as that was a big concern going into it.
  • the sea air has done its number on the walls Ken.
  • That's a lot of beautiful work. You really get a feel of what it will look like when finished with all the walls together like that. Very nice.
  • For sure Stephen, grungy is as grungy does...

Hey Thanks Jim. Right, I though the picture of the walls all thrown together did give a glimpse of how it will look. Have a good bit yet to do prior to putting them all together.