visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kelvin's Fabrication formerly O'Neills

Greetings. It has been some time since I have posted here. Things happen you know. This is about Kelvin's Fabrication formerly O'Neills Fabrication. First of all I have 99% of what Brett produces for O scale and have finished 4.5 of them. I have been busy Working on the Railroad. So far this has been one of the most complicated and fantastic builds of all the models I have. My Opinion. I have many other manufacturers of "crafstmen" kits but no one still can compete with the quality and design of Brett's Sierra West.

Now, I changed the name to honor a good friend of mine who is no longer with us.... he moved to Texas this past year, sorry to say. And it does not follow the "set" pattern for the build. I use, or will use, all the Sierra West kits on my working railroad. And as such I need to make them fit in with the scheme of things or the space already allowed. Since I have an Oil pumping and loading area already on my layout the, Kelvin's Fabrication formerly O'Neills Fabrication, fit in perfectly. It has increased its revenue by recycling more oil than the welding and fabrication part of the business has.

There were several changes to the model to allow it to fit the space. The pictures show the buildings in places where they will be built onto the layout. They are set there for fitting.

First of all I like to pour-in-place real concrete for all and anything made of concrete. So a new loading dock was made. That set the place marker for the rest of the buildings. I have also included an oil pumping station to allow the oil to be pumped into my oil tankers. The depth of the space precluded the layout design of the kit as it was. I had to cut off an 1.5 of the main building loading dock cover. The Welding shop had to be moved to the adjacent space next to the oil tank. I have made some slight changes to that. The front is the new back and built another work area cover to the other side of the building. The adjacent space next to the welding building will be razed in preparation for more use of the wonderful set of add on castings.

You can see in the photos all I have been typing about. I have changed the welding shop shingle roof for the left over ribbed metal roof as the main building. I still use the circuit board etch for the metal ribbed roofing. (Love the smell of the stuff in the morning.) This build has shown, to me at least, a better method of old and peeled paint effect. I have been buying Bretts Kits since they came out and the methods and the materials for finishing have changed from kit to kit. I use some of the methods and carry the older techniques forward as that is what I learned to use and still use them.

You can see the oil tanker at the oil loader and I have made a special load up for Kelvin's Fabrication formerly O'Neills Fabrication, to ship new barrels of materials.

Now that some of you may have read this far, this kit in this stage has taken 5 months of work. The layout and scenery got in the way at some time during that. I now am painting, chalking, staining, etc.. the hundreds of casting and addons for this marvelous model. I will finish it someday very soon.

Thanks for reading. Wayne
IMG_1182

IMG_1183

IMG_1199

IMG_1210

IMG_1211

IMG_1213

Comments

• While the footprint is different...the flow and feel of the structure is the same....looks good....
  • Fantastic work and finish on those buildings Wayne, a beautiful job.
    Cant wait to see it all detailed up.

That also looks to be a very impressive layout.

Well done.
  • Wayne beautiful work on that railroad. The buildings fit very nicely. Hope to see more of your work!!

Jerry
  • Very nice work Wayne!!!!
  • Nice. Great detail with the filling pipe by the rail.
  • Real concrete? Now that’s the epitome of diorama realism. No need to glue things down-LOL.
  • What a wonderful scene, Wayne.

George
  • ALCO said:

Real concrete? Now that’s the epitome of diorama realism. No need to glue things down-LOL.

I like it that way. I posted this sometime ago, 2013;
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/317/concrete-for-our-buildings#latest

• One can make nice and useable additions to model kits like this one is they are "O SCALE" and since they are big and seeable one needs to fill in the voids with more detailed details. For an example on this so far. The 3 doors on the welding shop are useable. I made 90deg pins from brass and made the edges of the doors thick enough to accomodate the hole in which I drilled to put the hinge pins in. Very simple design. The pin comes out of the door frame, goes 90 deg and is inserted into a hold drilled in the door jamb. That part of the hinge pin is glued into the jamb. A very simple but effective effect to have reliable door hinges. This system is also used on my Cattle pen down the road aways from here.
    https://minietonrailroad.org/html/stock_pen.html
  • Wonderful work here Wayne and a terrific looking layout. Love that second from the top pic...beautiful shot of O'Neills proper. I'm with Pappy the backdrop is awesome.
  • Updated photographs of Kelvin's Fabrication and the Juanita Oil Co-op for the Minieton Railroad & Lumber. As you can see from the photographs, I have been busy adding this latest scene to my Railroad. The original model's footprint had to be changed from the way Brett had designed it to be. This building kit has to fit within the space already on my layout. There are more items (junk) to be added as I continue to work on it. It is a slow process as I am also adding a new siding to an area of the layout, and new drop ceiling tiles for some areas. The welding area has been moved to a covered area adjacent to the oil recycling.

I make all scenery areas Vacuum cleaner proof, that is, I regularly clean the layout's scenery with the vacuum and if there are small, detailed scenes or loose items they get torn away.

The Fabrication business has been incorporated into the Juanita Oil Co-op, which has been finished up with a large oil leak due to a broken coupling at the filling station. A new chain link fence has been added. This is made from brass rod and the Tulle fabric. A special flatcar load for Kelvin's Fabrication has also been added. One can also see my recently acquired 1940's tank cars x3.

IMG_1232
    This is as one looks at the scene from the aisle of the layout.

IMG_1246
    A front picture with the welding area to the left under the canopy, which was originally on the welding office building

IMG_1247
    A close up of the loading dock with a new flatcar load made for this scene.

oilrack61
    An overall view of the entire scene area with the Oil Co-op, Fabrication buildings merged into the Juanita area of the layout.

oilrack70
    Photograph of the fenced in oil pump area.

oilrack67
    Oil spill from a broken connection at the filling rack.

Thanks for viewing.
  • Looks right at home
  • Looks great Wayne, that oil spill is very cool.
  • Very nice! Like the way you customized it to incorporate it into your layout.
  • This is so much fun looking at. What an outstanding setup. Excellent work here. Thanks for sharing your wonderful layout.
  • F A N T A S T I C

What a treat to see these. Thank you for sharing them. So much to take in...