visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sizing, Printing Labels to Details (or signs). Karl.A

2»

Comments

• I will echo that !!!
  • Great tutorial Karl! How did you get the original sign that you initially printed on the card stock to be so faded looking?
  • Thanks guys, hope it helps.

Tom, I stole the logo from Brett's webpage and opened it in Photoshop.
    Selected the eraser option and brush option I wanted.
    Erased out some of the black lettering.

I also did some resizing and fiddled with the contrast and brightness to my liking.

Thats it.
  • Thanks for the info Karl.
  • I'm calling the trademark police for the admitted theft above.
  • haha, I think I'm safe on this one Bryan...
  • edited December 2021
    I re-did and reprinted the faded logo I originally printed because I had faded it too much and it didn't show up as good as I wanted it to once applied.
    Trial and error is sometimes necessary and not to be afraid of in all aspects of our work.

I did a reprint in the 'draft' setting, to minimise the excessive ink blur, but the print wasnt so sharp.

The application though shows the usage for this method which was my aim.

Trimmed around the new print to minimize visible edges

To apply the sign :- I dulcoated the face of the sign to seal the ink first.

put a small blob of glue ( I used the usual yellow glue) on the desk then dip a brush into clean water then into the glue and mix until you have a water consistency.
    'Paint' this glue onto the area where you want the sign.

The area needs to be wet, this is what turns the sign backing transparent.

Pick up the sign with tweezers and carefully lay it down into the wet glue.

Take your time and be careful to get the sign in the correct position the first time,
    once this super thin paper gets wet it's not usually repositionable.
    (although I did find that the dulcoat (which I hadnt used before) did give me a little
    more flexibility to peel it up and re-lay it.)

Let dry overnight.

24 hours after application and dried I then scored/sliced with a new blade to enhance grain pattern/effect.

I like the effect for an aged painted sign on an aged painted/ peeling wall where the wall shows through.

I'll get back to the labels and their techniques in the next update,
    I just wandered off topic temporarily, but, hopefully it's still useful to someone.
  • All tips are useful Karl. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this...
  • Turned out great!
  • This is all fantastic stuff. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this and give us all a valuable lesson.
  • edited December 2021
    Thanks for the replies Robert, Tom and Jim, it's great to hear from you.

Due to technical issues at my end on this PC it's taking about an hour to an hour and a half to make a detailed post with pics for me to do right now, so, it's great to read that the three of you are getting something out of it.

To wrap this technique up here is one example of how it can be used...

The fence was built and then an area masked off and finished with an area of peeled white paint.
    The above technique was then used to add the aged lettering for the sign on the fence.

Next up... little labels and hiding those edges.
  • Been following this thread closely. Haven't had the chance to try any of it yet but definitely going into my tips and tricks file for future use. Extremely useful Karl. Thanks for these techniques....Rick
  • I know this is a horrible picture, but I just wanted to do a shout out to say that this tutorial has helped immensely. I have never been able to shrink images this small and have them be even close to readable. I'm using GIMP software, so I had to do things a bit differently but just knowing it can be done was a huge benefit. This label is a little over a mm tall and you can still read it, amazing. Thanks Karl.

PS, could you do a tutorial on how to pick up the label after you cut it out? ;-). My hands are too big to even pick it up. I even struggled with tweezers for about 10 minutes.

Incidentally, the "bottle" is sitting on a popsicle stick. I really struggled getting a macro shot with enough light.

DSC00027 (2)
  • edited May 2022
    Looks fantastic Jim, well done indeed. Thanks for sharing your great success and result.

To pick up the tiny label initially, first lick the point of a tooth pick to get it damp, you dont want too much moisture it may smear the inkjet ink.

Touch the damp point to the label, it should stick and you can lift it up off the desk.

You will then be easily able to grab hold of it with some pointed tweezers.

Or you can just exhale on to your finger tip, as if you were trying to fog up some glass, then press your fingertip onto the label, it should stick and you can lift it up, it's then easy to use your pointed tweezers to remove it from your finger tip and hold it with the tweezers.

Great to read my technique is working for you.

• Good idea, thanks
  • Very nice, Jim.. thanks for passing your success along
    Terry
  • edited December 2021
    I went back and added the "Application method" I used for the sign onto the peeled painted wood as I had neglected to type it out the first time I posted.
    I added it between the two pictures.
  • Karl, the only word I can say is outstanding work!
    And thanks for sharing this.

Jim, excellent. Will be almost impossible to do this in HO
  • Pappy, I don't see how it could be done with HO. I don't even know how anyone can see the bottles in HO scale. Modeling HO scale is so much harder, you guys are amazing.

I printed a few labels for some of my own 3D prints. I drew up and am now printing a soda vending machine to remind me of a scene from my youth. I hope it turns out. Pull out bottles from the old vending machine and the empties would be set back in the crate which was lying by the machine. 10 cent Dr. Pepper, great stuff, it was bottled in my hometown. So much better than it is now.
  • edited December 2021
    I know right? But as we all get better, there is always a solution for labels on HO bottles.
    Karl and others are the masters and just maybe.....an HO label for these bottles.:)
    Can you imagine labels for N scale bottles...lol.
    Keep up your great work Jim.
  • I can't even envision N scale bottles...
  • I tried printing some "labels" on some newsprint paper that we had from packing some things. Disappointed that the print didn't come out as clear as it did on the regular printer paper. I thought that would work great, but it doesn't seem to do as well. On the left is the printer paper, it looks like the ink bleeds a little more on the newsprint. It doesn't look like that shows up so well in the picture but when I zoom in, the print is much blurrier on the right. Bummer. I'm trying to print the signage for my Dr. Pepper vending machine.

DSC00048 (3)post
  • edited December 2021
    Try reducing the resolution to 600 dpi instead of the 1200.
    This will halve the amount of ink the printer is putting down and should hopefully reduce the bleed with little or no loss in clarity.

You can also go down to 400 or 200. Try one label at different dpi instead of doing a whole sheet. When you find a point you are happy with use that as your baseline in all the steps outlined in my first post.

If you change the dpi this will also change the print size most times. (Twice as big.)

So, make a note of your print size, change the dpi, then go back and check your print size and adjust it back to what it was originally if necessary.

I also just thought of another way to try to reduce the bleed while I was typing this but havent tried it yet, when I do try it later for you I'll post the results, and, the method.

Looking good Jim.
  • OK, I'll try that. Thanks
  • What a fantastic tutorial, Karl.

Thank you, not only for coming up with it but, for taking the time to document the steps.

As a technical writer during years past, I can attest that it is not easy to do clearly and well.

George
  • Just fantastic Karl. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this properly.
  • When I get some time I think I’ll try Karl’s techniques on an HO vintage work shop wall calendar…like a Rigid Tool calendar
    Terry
  • edited May 2022
    This is such a great Kar-torial I thought is was worth bringing to the top of the list again….there are so many great threads buried and out of site….I have learned a lot merely by going thru several pages of old threads
    Terry
  • edited May 2022
    Thanks so much Terry, I'm glad it's helpful.
    I'll add to it with some more info, tips and tricks, when I finish my current build.
  • Gotta love these Kar-torials. Thanks Karl for investing your time and talents
    Terry

no kidding. this is great stuff. thanks karl.