visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kevin L From Melbourne Australia

Comments

• looks awesome!
  • This is a fantastic update Kevin, your work looks great.
  • 20230124_202836
    Saw mill project Edger saw 2
    Saw mill project Log stop 1
    Saw mill project saw dust blower and ducting
    Progress on my sawmill Edger saw build, Log Stop and saw Dust Blower and ducting
  • Saw mill project start of floor boards  (2)
    Started laying floorboards. The white patches to the right of the picture is putty, silly me used petroleum paint on the foam base board and it ate into the foam, so used putty to fill the craters with. Nevertheless, uneven ground looks more realistic. Also, I only made the ground layer rise to a height of 1/2 inch above the base, to me that looked more real for sawmills built in Australia they tended to be on flat ground near creeks.
    The floorboard height above the ground I made at 5 feet, the drawings with SierraWest made it 6 feet. By doing this the floor height is about that of a wagon height so sawn timber can be loaded easily into wagons, I will be adding track to collect the sawn timber.
  • Nice progress. The bark on the log is an eye catcher.
  • Machinery turned out really great! The floor boards look very nice as well.
  • Great work Kevin. The debris field well constructed!
  • KevinL, your build looks great. As Bryan said the bark on the log looks really great. The Machenry color and ware look just right to me. Randy
  • Love it, the ground cover is fantastic. Really capturing the look and feel of a small backwoods mill. Your machinery is very well done too. Thanks for the great update.
  • Sawmill project 10
    Mill engine now built and ready to install on the Sawmill project.
  • That looks great..... mine is on the way!
  • Wow looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in situ
  • i have the sawmill looming in the near future and i hope i can do half as good a job as you are. nice progress!
  • I just got mine in the mail... So I came to take a second look..... and got blown away a secon time.... great job!
  • Sawmill progect 13
    Sawmill progect 14Boiler for my Sawmill
  • Nice weathering on the boiler. Looks like real concrete!?
  • ALCO said:

Looks like real concrete!?

That's a resin casting included with the kit.

Looking great Kevin!

• This sawmill is coming together really fine. Nice work on the mill engine as well !!
  • Thanks Robert but your work leaves me way behind.
  • Kevin, this is not a contest !!! We all learn from each other.. Starting with one hell of a kit !!!
  • I agree it is not a contest and yes we do learn from each other.
  • Also, for a tip I used a piece of fiber optics to represent the water glass on the boiler, felt it looked more realistic than wire.
  • Looking good Kevin, and a great tip with the fibre optics strand for the water glass. I used a clear toothbrush bristle on mine.
    Def not a contest, we all learn something new here.
  • Kevin L said:

Also, for a tip I used a piece of fiber optics to represent the water glass on the boiler, felt it looked more realistic than wire.

When you go back to my building thread, you'll see that I did that for the same reason ...
  • Robert, wish I saw your thread sooner might have saved some brain strain of working out how I was going build the water glass. When I joined this forum, I searched using the word sawmill and all threads and comments with sawmill came up, numerous ones and unfortunately I did not find your thread at the time. Certainly aware of it now so will keep checking it out for more tips in building this great kit.
  • Nice work Kevin!
  • Sawmill project 16
    Sawmill project 21Progress on my sawmill build, cut off saw, log turner and drive shafts and belts added.
  • wow. it looks great. i hope i can do it this well.
  • Nice progress
  • Awesome!