visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Leave it to Karl to find the little "easter eggs" on the screw jacks. I rotated the screws on all 3 of the different heights just a bit so none would have the same grid orientation. I honestly did not think anyone would ever notice that. Good eye sir!
    The wash tub looks great, and the wash board is perfect! Hard to tell from the picture, but do the teeny tiny nubs show up on the metal surface? They were drawn zig-zag just like the real thing, but are extremely small.
    These little parts have sure been fun working on. Thanks for bringing them to life. That includes everyone.
  • Hah! Great eye there buddy. Ken Karns suggested printing the jacks at different heights. That's a winner! My birthday today so thanks for all the incredible support!
  • Wow…happy birthday, “Boss”
    Terry
  • Happy Birthday Brett! I ordered some jack stands on Black Friday, I will have to remember to do the threads. Thanks Karl!
  • Have a good one boss.
  • Thanks Emery and Brett.
    EmeryJ said:

..... Hard to tell from the picture, but do the teeny tiny nubs show up on the metal surface? They were drawn zig-zag just like the real thing, but are extremely small.
    These little parts have sure been fun working on....

Little nubs zig zagged on what ??

• Metal ribs on the surface of the wash board. Like a real one. If you look at a picture of a vintage wash board, you can see the metal is not smooth, but is rough with alternating bumps. Best I can describe it Karl.
  • Happy B Day Brett. Well earned.
  • edited May 2022
    EmeryJ said:

Metal ribs on the surface of the wash board. Like a real one. If you look at a picture of a vintage wash board, you can see the metal is not smooth, but is rough with alternating bumps. Best I can describe it Karl.

I scratch built the wash board myself, and yes, the ribs are raised, I used some HO corrugated sheet for the metal part to emulate the ribbing.

I did it as a hint to you and Brett that we needed one. I should have known you guys already had it covered. I'll look forward to replacing this one with one of Brett's when I get one.

• Doing a deep clean and maintenance/calibration on the machines today but will run the wash boards tomorrow!
  • OOPS!!! We sure did a good job Karl. They look very close to the same sir!
    Sorry Brett. I swear it was yours.
  • Happy Birthday Brett!
  • I would save myself in shipping if I just ordered all my details at once....but my mind doesn't seem to work that way...after seeing the round wash tubs...i needed them...lol....along with some more screw jacks.....I'm sure next week...I will need more stuff....
  • edited November 2021
    Now thats funny Art.
    You might as well go ahead and order some gas bottles too...

011 gas bottles

The top two pictures were before I dulled down the valve handle.
    The bottom two are after a little dulling, much better.
  • Karl, wow, incredible details and painting. Everything is being raised to a new level here. Love the labels and wonder how you get such good prints. Every time I shrink down an image it just turns to crap when print it out. You must have a high resolution printer.

I worked with many oxygen and CO2 tanks in my career. Lots of times really banged up tanks would get brand new valves so both the before and after dulled down valves, look great in my opinion. Very impressive work.

I need a kick in the butt to get motivated to start modeling again. Maybe this is it.
  • Remarkable. Love seeing this level of detail!
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks Jim, it's just a cheap inkjet printer (HP5525), I remember I bought it about7 years ago because it was cheaper than buying new ink for the printer I already had. I think it was 49.99. The res on these labels is 1200dpi in photoshop, but, I'm not sure if the printer can handle and print that.
    The original blue handles on the valves, although as you correctly say is prototypical, it just looked too bright next to everything else, hence I did the slight dulling.

Thanks Rusty and Pappy,
    it's incredible to have parts this defined and detailed to work on and a pleasure to try and show that detail.
    Unfortunately, I'm not happy with these labels, they seem too thick and the edges can be seen, also, I know I can do better with the weathering, so, expect to 'hopefully' see a 'new, improved' version of my work on these one day in the future.

I'll be working on a wood and stone building for the next few modeling sessions, so, no more detail work for a while, it would be great to see others work on these amazing offerings from Brett.

Post 'em if you've got 'em...
  • Karl, do you start with high resolution images or do you just do a google search and download what you can find? I don't have photoshop but I use Gimp which is a free photoshop-like program. I have to admit that I don't know how to use it properly but it can do everything photoshop can do. I guess I need to spend more time and figure out how to use it better. Lots of Youtube instruction videos but who has time for that?

I understand about the ink being more expensive than the printer. Every time I go to print something out, the ink has dried up and it's worthless. I now have 2 printers with no ink. Frustrating.
  • edited December 2021
    Jim,
    I'll be doing/starting a thread really soon on adding labels to these incredible SWSM detail items.
    Brett had asked me to describe/share my process on the forum for others after I did my tiny Corona bottle labels seen previously in the thread.
    Rather than go into more in-depth answers to your questions here and thereby detract from the showcasing of Brett's actual parts...

I'll open a new thread in a minute for questions and to describe my process on this subject.

Thanks Jim.
  • That's perfect. Thanks
  • I actually have quite a few.....I will be ordering a bunch before April as I'm doing a clinic and need a lot to take care of the students...as for the labels....Brett...I see a new line of labels to go with all these great details....
  • Outstanding work on these details.
  • Wow! Amazing work on the details. Looking forward to the thread.
  • edited December 2021
    Thanks Jim, Bryan and Ben, I really appreciate the comments.
    I was waiting for some shingles to dry for one of the structures I'm working on and couldn't resist grabbing a different style of acetylene tank that was close by to try on.

The holes on the cap are a great prototypical detail and show up nicely when dry brushed. Yet another small variation to keep things interesting. Also the detail around the collar and shoulder, (which can't really be seen here), but, I did highlight some of the base detail.

012 gas bottle
  • The labels are great...doing some myself....just beware the rivet counters....if you model fairly modern.....last 20 years or so...the labels are ok.....but back in the 60's and before...most of that labeling never existed...it was all done with color of the tank...and some with the size and pith of the threads on the outlet....take it from a firefighter that dealt with a lot of haz-mats....we never trusted a label.....you had to either taste it....or smell it....(just kidding)
  • The labels are great...doing some myself....just beware the rivet counters....if you model fairly modern.....last 20 years or so...the labels are ok.....but back in the 60's and before...most of that labeling never existed...it was all done with color of the tank...and some with the size and pith of the threads on the outlet....take it from a firefighter that dealt with a lot of haz-mats....we never trusted a label.....you had to either taste it....or smell it....(just kidding)

speaking of smelling it:
    right after i got out of the navy i got a job with municipality in their water department. we had 6 or 7 well houses throughout the town. we went to one of them to change out a chlorine bottle, and when my partner opened the door to the room where the chlorine was (i was waiting in the van), he dropped to the ground like a stone. i jumped out of the van to see what happened, andas i neared the building i could smell the chlorine. lucky for him i wore a belt that day. i ripped the belt off, and slung it under his arms and dragged him away from the building.
    when the paramedics got there with the ambulance they told me i probably saved his life. i knew chlorine could be dangerous but i didn't realize how dangerous.

• Well done Kev….quick thinking….if you had still been in the navy I’m sure your actions would have warranted a Silver Star at the least
    Terry
  • Dang Kevin. Good job. Glad you didn't get gassed also.
  • You're actually lucky you didn't get overcome either....chlorine is nasty stuff.....once you get a good wiff....you may not smell it any more as it actually burns out the sensory spots in your nose...so you would smell nothing....it turns to hydrochloric acid in your lungs and will drown you. Great job geting him out...Chemistry class is dismissed.