visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• The open ones are incredible.
  • holy crap they're beautiful!
  • More greatness Karl :smiley:
  • Great work!!
  • edited November 2021
    Thank you all.
    Those/these are actually more like kegs than full size barrels, the detail as always is amazing.
    Having the detail inside the open ones adds a whole new level of detail.

Here are two of them next to Brett's standard full size O scale resin barrel casting and an old crappy toy HO barrel I found lying around for a size comparison.

So, I guess these can be used as O scale kegs or HO barrels. Either way they are more than fantastic.

kegs 02

I'm looking forward to doing one of the new full size barrels after working up these beauties.
  • I don't believe what I am seeing! The Corona bottles show that a genius is at work. How did you reduce the labels to that size?

His little people are real people so they make the labels for him!!

Jerry

• edited November 2021
    Brett, After reviewing the great small details on these 3D parts, have you considered doing 3D door knobs, handles, hinges..etc?
    I use very thin wire and bend for door handles on your laser cut wood doors and just thought it would be cool to have these in 3D molds.
    No one has these available that I know of.
    Just a thought :smiley:

Pap
  • Love the barrels Karl!!
  • Pap…similar to what you use, I use box car grab irons which are pre bent
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry. HO version as well?
  • Yes….Cal Scale I think…I get them at a train store..I’ll get you a pack (down or so) and mail to if you’d like
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry! very kind of you and appreciate your offer. They have to be HO scale (very small).
  • Thanks to everyone for posting shots of their 3D Printed parts. I know there are a ton more folks with them out there so let's see what you got!

Oh and Chris - HO Scale door handles and hinges are too small for me to realistically handle. I could print them no problem, it's the post printing process and processing that is impossible. But great suggestion and thanks my friend!
  • Thanks Brett!...had to ask!
  • Here's a gas cylinder I've been working on.IMG_0943
  • Looks great Joel,
    I personally notice the 'thin' defined scratches, so hard to get sharp, in scale, and, clear definition on those.
    Also, the rust localized only where the paint is missing is beautifully done, also more defined around the shoulder.
    Great stuff !!
  • Nice detailing Joel!!

Jerry
  • Brett, another Idea for your 3D projects.
    How about gloves, like welders gloves for an example.
    Again, just a thought
  • Pappy: Great idea. I had an opportunity to tour a 120 year old machine shop recently that is still pretty much in its original configuration. I saw the aprons in the attached photo hanging that reminded me of the 3D printed jacket in my second installment of the Brass and Iron Foundry. HangingApron1
    HangingApron2
  • The shop I visited also had prototype copies of Brett's barrels. Barrel1
    Barrel2
  • Jim, another great Idea for Brett to explore...love it Jim!!
  • Primed and ready to paint...
    Time to spend a couple of hours getting some more of these beauties finished, moved over on to the completed tray and ready for action.

• edited November 2021
    Pappy said:

Brett, another Idea for your 3D projects.
    How about gloves, like welders gloves for an example.
    Again, just a thought

I remember wayyyyy back when I made the brass welder's helmet for Brett I also made some gloves, (not for Brett, but, just 'cos), those suckers I'd imagine would be way too small/fragile to print, in a production capacity, even in O scale.
    Just cut them out of paper.
    (a really old pic, 2014)
    tanks02

I do have another idea though in my next post, that may benefit us all... if it's possible...
  • edited November 2021
    After drilling holes in all the amazing 3D details, and then, sticking in all the tooth picks it occured to me...

It would be a great addition to these incredible items to have the hole already there... slightly smaller than a toothpick so you could get a tight fit.
    Because, as we all know, every now and then, it get's a little bit scary drilling a hole with your dremel in something as small as Brett's oil can,
    a pre-printed hole would be sweet !!!

If you want to lay a barrel, drum, acetylene tanks, can, jack stand or any thing else on its side where the base could be seen it would be so much easier to fill in that one hole, than to drill all the others where it won't be seen.
  • edited November 2021
    Karl, not a fan of the flat paper gloves. If brett can produce HO scale 3D tiny valves on top of the tanks, I'm sure gloves should be a piece of cake..just saying.
    Love the welder shield...this as well should not be a problem in 3D.
    I know because I used 3D software (solidworks, pro-E and others) for 25+ years in my profession and now retired.
    It all depends on the hardware (Machine) used. Most will use .stp files created by Solidworks, pro-e or others to create the model.

Keep up your great work Karl!
  • That coke bottle is far out... You can actually see the coke 'bubbeling' inside the bottle...
    Not a bad idea , the pre drilled holes.. If that is possible, I don't know, not an expert, even a complete dummy on 3D printing.... Anyways, great work on all that Karl !!!
  • Is the straw hollow? LOL
  • Amazing work Karl!
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks guys, I got a little time to work on the wooden washtub.
    Love the detail on this one, the slats are all tapered perfectly and the bands are raised just right. At this point I wouldn't expect anything else.
    Of course, the fact that this exquisite detail is all also on the inside of the tub makes this washtub stunning to see as you work on it, and then look at it when finished.

005 wash tub
    006 wash tub
  • edited December 2021
    Now I know I've posted some screw jacks before but these are just done, although this is the same basic finishing, however, I wanted to show Brett's attention to detail... I'm not sure how many styles Brett has, but, these are the four that I have. He's not happy with just having and producing an awesome screw jack, Brett goes to the next level for us and gives us a variety.

008 screwjack
    1) Totally different style on the left with the handle.
    2) Two in the middle with the screws at different heights.
    3) On the right no screw, but if you drybrush the inside, the threads are in there.
    4) Awesome.

009 screwjack

He also even puts the handles on different sides for even more variety, some on the left, some on the right !!