visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• As I said don't start...lol
  • Brett, lol I met someone in the rabbit hole Carla...she was sweet...not..lol
  • For Coke and oil bottles I have used either Vallejo or AK "smoke". Finish with a clear gloss coat.
  • Thanks Bryan! and keep up your great work!
  • edited November 2021
    Now seriously...
    I was planning out a scene I have in mind, so I grabbed one of the amazing 3D steel tubs
    from my recent delivery.
    I simply sprayed it black and then just damp brushed it with 'aged steel'.
    I figured it would look good with the exquisite detail on the outside rusted up
    a little, highlighting the handles, ribs, lip etc, then I did the inside... holy crap !!
    The ribs are on the inside too !! , every line to perfection, damn ! this stuffs amazing,
    and I've still only got a base coat on it.

Steel tub 01

Who knows where it goes from here...
  • looking good Carla!...keep up your great work
  • Love the look of that tub.
  • Looks GREAT! Perfect color on the bottles.
  • Beautiful!
  • edited November 2021
    Messed around with a set of the beautiful oil bottles this afternoon.
    I'm going to need to redo the caps because my tarnished steel
    paint was obviously 'clumpy'... but I was really just playing around
    with the 'new, clear oil' look. I like how they came out.
    The darker pic is more how they look in reality just sitting on the desk,
    the lighter pic has a light directed through them and shows the glossy, clarity.

oil bottles 01

oil bottles 02
  • Great looking bottles, Karl
    Terry
  • Fantastic stuff. Both the 3d printed part and the finishing.
  • edited November 2021
    Now here is a challenge for you Kevin.
    Add labels to your 3D 7up bottles. HO would be more challenging.

7up label

• Karl, what paint did you use on the oil bottles? I used Tamiya Smoke, but was not quite as happy with them as the look you achieved. Most likely operator error, but thought I would check. Thanks for all the updates. Parts are looking great.
  • edited November 2021
    Thank you Emery, I'll answer shortly.

Better pics coming up, but these for now...

corona 003

corona 002

corona 004
  • edited May 2022
    And Bryan, dont even start with me about needing the logo on the top of the caps... hahaha...

Getting two colours cleanly on those tiny caps and keeping the necks clear after colouring the bottles is as far as I'm going to try... for now...
  • Beautiful!!
  • edited May 2022
    Nothing more beautiful than a set of full Corona's my friend...
    Thank you..
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks guys, these new details from Brett (SWSM) are awesome to work(play) with, it's great to read you all.

Emery,
    I used one coat of "Minwax Puritan Pine 218" stain on the beer bottles, and three coats of the same on the oil bottles to get them a little darker and more of a honey/oil color.

I did the oil bottles first as a test. I noticed that the stain wicked up through the details surface and colored much more area than I wanted. Not a problem for the oil bottles. The metal caps would hide that.

However I wanted the necks of the beer bottles to be clear, for me a more prototypical appearance and showing that they weren't filled all the way to the cap (as they are not in reality). You can see this in the third pic above in my post where the necks of the bottles are clear just above the shoulder, where it should be.
    It's the small things...

Edit: Before the labels were added I gave them a spritz of "Rustoleum Crystal Clear Gloss Enamel" for the 'glassy' look.

Have fun !!
  • edited November 2021
    Last pics tonight, time for me to go relax.
    The beer's on ice, the barrel is burning and its time to chill.
    If only I could find the O scale bottle opener I made !! ... oh well,
    I'll make another one tomorrow, until then...

Model Responsibly !!!

corona 006

corona 007
  • Very nice !!!
  • I don't believe what I am seeing! The Corona bottles show that a genius is at work. How did you reduce the labels to that size?
  • Wonderful details and scene.
  • Insanity... Ready for the beach. Like a Corona commercial. Two-tone coloration on the bottle - fantastico!

What did you use for ice, pretty sure I know but will let you tell everyone!
  • and... not to get lost in the beer commercial are the wonderful oil bottles.
  • Any interest in some S Scale details? Get a few requests now and again...
  • ice too? holy crap.....
  • Kind of pedestrian compared to the other work shown here but I do like the valves on the new tanks.
    0FC86AF0-AE8D-4B2F-8DFD-3B10CA90D08E
  • Not sure what “pedestrian “ means but I sure like the tank….well done br
    Terry
  • Just fantastic work. Up to your old standards I see.