visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• this is gonna be great!
  • Great work, Ken. They really are game-changing and I love what you're doing here.

I have to admit, though, I do love that nostalgic whiff of resin too ;)
  • edited October 2021
    The following pictures are brought over from my Eureka Springs build thread, so these are repeats with a bit more description. This way all 3D parts postings are in the 3D Parts thread. Should have put them here to begin with!

IMG_1541

Flat Truck Tire. Painted Grimy Black and weathered with pigments. I put a small amount of Epoxy in the bottom inside of the hollow, yes hollow like the real thing!, tire to simulate water collecting inside. This tire must be planted standing upright for full effect.

IMG_1544

Screw Jack from the "Screw Jack Mix" collection. One of three screw positions. This one is in the middle. Primed with brown spray paint. Painted with old Polly Scale CP Yellow, screw painted with metallic, and light rust pigments.

IMG_1573

Exceptionally detailed gas can from the "Tin Gas Can Mix" collection. Body painted with Model Color (vallejo) gunmetal Grey 70.863, top with Model Color Bronze 70.9989, and weathered with pigments. Final detailing in place with some fuel stains. Brett also has these cans with open top...just wonderful!

IMG_1551

Wood barrel from the "Wooden Barrels" collection. Primed with flat black. Painted with roof brown and dry brushed with lighter tones. Ribs highlighted with graphite.

IMG_1553

Various wood creates from the "Wooden Crate Mix" collection. Photo has the wood a bit washed out but really shows the detail of these amazing pieces. Treated similar to the wood barrel.

• Sorry for the repeats!...so I finished up a trash can from the Trash Can Open collection. These are one of three categories of HO trash cans! Simply amazing. In addition to Trash Cans Open there are Trash Can Closed, and Trash Can Upside Down...of course I have all three!

IMG_1580

Primed with grey spray paint. Weathered with black chalk and some graphite for metal luster...I love these! Will of course fill with trash and have the lid propped up similar to the picture for my scene I'm working on.
  • Ken, you are the man!! Fantastic work and many thanks for this!!
  • Thanks Pap!
  • Outstanding, I love these shots. let's see some more! I know there are a lot of these out there!
  • You have quite a collection to choose from.
  • Karl A has a technique of printing on tissue paper which eliminates the need to sand the paper and due to the nature of the tissue paper the images look aged rather than new
    Terry
  • Hey Ken, used your Idea to keep all the 3D parts organized.

Bretts new 3D HO parts-2

Bretts new 3D HO parts-3

I have more coming next week and think will be all of Brett's HO 3D parts for now.
    I'm sure Brett has other flavors up his sleeve soon.

Thanks again Ken for the suggestion and all here for your great work and help to others as always.

Pap
  • Perfect! Nice touch with the SWSM label on the front...
  • You are the man my friend...thanks again for the suggestion.
    Now we need a painting video...lol..jk :smiley:
  • edited October 2021
    Great storage Chris, so many fine details there!
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Brett, thanks to Ken for his suggestion
  • Finished up one of my SWSM 3D Round Gas Cans. The detail here is incredible! Will finish up the detailing on this one with some fuel stains and runs but wanted to show this amazing part before hand.

IMG_1621
  • for sure...these detail parts are just amazing. They add so much detail to the already stellar SWSM kits...
  • You can smell the gas...
  • The base metal color is just right. What color did you use?
  • Those look right nice Ken. I wish I would have made mine that color.
  • Crazy good !!!
  • Outstanding!
  • Stunning, what an amazing weathering job.
  • Outstanding Ken, as usual,
    care to share how you achieved that wonderful, aged patina on the printed gas can ??
    asking for a friend ...
    Be well,
    --Paul
  • edited November 2021
    Me too Muddy!...will add that when it's planted in the scene so a bit can be running down the side and onto the dirt.

Bryan...the base color?...see my response at the end.

I purposely choose a color of "off red" as it looked weathered to begin with!

Thanks Robert

Appreciate that Tom.

Amazing details Brett! "having a ball detailing them all" Thanks so much.

Thanks Paul and here is the skinny:

1. Primed the gas can with brown spray primer.
    2. Light coat of brushed on Reaper "Ruddy Brown 29830".
    3. Handle wire support brushed on Model Color Gunmetal Gray 70.863
    4. When dry...burnished with an old nasty small detail brush (see pic below) and a bit of graphite. The brush allows you to take off (or more like wear down) as much paint as you want, where you want, and at the same time gives the bare spot a weathered metallic appearance.

IMG_1643
  • edited November 2021
    Here is a wood barrel I finished up for Eureka Springs. Brett's 3D Barrels are by far the best detailed barrels I have ever seen! A joy to work on...

Primed with black spray paint
    Dry brushed various wood tones
    Brushed on paint for the bands

IMG_1631 (1)
  • Thanks for the explanation. I have a brush that looks a lot like that one!
  • edited November 2021
    No Problem Tom.

here is a 3D Coffee Mug/Pitcher/Pot that Brett had me mess with...I refuse to detail anything smaller! lol...Done in the vintage blue & white speckled Enamelware.

IMG_1648

Out of focus but shows the handle. Could have tried to get a better picture of this angle but...nah...you get the idea.

IMG_1650