visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Clamps

Just thought I would throw this out there to share with you all.
Working on the Ho version of the Deer Creek Mine and ran across on page 20 of the instructions on Cloths Pin Clamps.
This is a great technique and cheep to make submitted by Karl Allison to Brett a while back.
I have been using this method on all my Brand X kits for a few years before I found SW and is a must to do!!
I also got a bit frustrated with the clamp springs not staying on, sliding off..etc... and not the pressure I wanted on certain areas.
I added rubber bands to eliminate the disengagement between the two and the rubber bands also act as a cetain pressure you want depending on the how many wraps of the rubber band. You will also notice I use 4 different sizes of cloths pins.
The Little plastic clamp shown at bottom are Cake Pop Cone clamps that I got from my wife who has a Cake Pop business. They are made buy SinFul Cutters.

Just my two cents guys

Chris

Cloths Pin Clamps-1

Comments

• edited April 2021
    Great post Pappy, the reversed clothes pins are helpful in so many situations.

Another little tip is to 'carve' down the clamping end on several of your pins, this can be very helpful in tight situations, especially HO.

I just grabbed a few of mine to show...

Also notice the one bottom left has had the back end carved out so it can open wider.

Adjust as needed...

pins
  • Great Idea Karl!! Thanks for sharing
  • Mini clothespin clamps.
    Thin out the thickness of some wooden ones.

Stealing these ideas! Thanks boys
  • We steal from each other!!..lol.
    That's how we all get better!!
  • We all have heard the furniture builders and carpenters old saying, "You can never have enough clamps." After seeing this topic I remembered that I only had 3 of these old clip style clothespins in my modelers tool box So I googled clothespins and hit a link for the wood clothespins at Target. They had them in stock at my local Target. A pack of 50 for $1.75. I don't suspect I need to get any more of this style of clamps. Now I have plenty to reshape as outlined by Karl. Probably need other sizes, however.
    Wood Clothespin Clamps. resize
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, I found the other smaller sizes at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's
  • Pappy,

Thanks for the "heads-up" on those smaller clamps. Next trip into Tucson I give them a "look-see".

Later, Dave S.
  • A couple more to add to the list...
    A lot of the clamps in the right drawer I picked up at Dollar Tree. Most dollar stores are hit-n-miss as to what they’ve got in stock and selection varies from store to store as well. I look in the craft section, school supply area and around the automotive stuff (That’s where I found the spring clamps with the black handles). They’re pretty chintzy but I’ve wasted a dollar on worse things. Different shapes, sizes, materials, and tension because:
    Dave_S said:

"You can never have enough clamps." Dave S. Tucson, AZ

clamps.jpg
  • I organize everything as well. Home Depot has nice little slider clamps to help hold walls together while glue is drying.

clamps-2