visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• The floor is well worn. The base color will serve you well...if you get a bare spot in your scenery this is what you will get instead of pink.
  • i got my lumber order today, so after my meeting tonight i'll be cutting and staining ties.
  • Awesome work Kevin. Love the floor! It is really crazy how real that bottle looks. When you take an amazingly tiny casting, blow it up that large, and it holds up to scrutiny, well that's a win!
  • thanks boss. those bottles are real cool. so are the acetylene tanks with the valves. they'd go great inside the welding shop over at o'neill's.
  • Really nice work Kevin. Catching up here with your top shelf modeling. Got the scoop from Pappy and my 3D parts are on their way!
  • thanks ken. i'm taking a break tonight. watching a crosby stills nash and young concert from wembley stadium in 1974. i never thought i'd say this, but they kind sucked that day.....
  • Kevin,

Great work on the floor boards. I also liked you detailed parts. The build is coming together. Phil
  • got my ties epoxied last night. the floorboards are 4x10s, so i ordered some 4x8s for the ties and they were way too big. i ended up using 2x8s and they lined up perfectly. i'm not real sure why, but that's what worked.
    here the ties are under a piece of plexiglas with a 9 lb iron on it. two ties didn't fit under the plexiglas so they've got weights on the them.
    ties epoxied
  • Lol Kevin. Now that is a piece of nastalgia. I have not seen one of those irons in ages!!! Oh and the model looks great too sir.
  • the iron comes in pretty handy. picked it up for $10 at a local antique mall. i use it quite alot for weighing down walls....
  • This will give you the chance to have the ties buried in dirt. A good look for this dio I think.
  • brownbr said:

This will give you the chance to have the ties buried in dirt. A good look for this dio I think.

i've got a lot to do with castings before i can get to that point, but i do plan on the ties being buried. i need to do the rails first and i've never done that before so i will be going slow and probably asking alot of questions.
  • grandson is here for a couple days so all modeling has ground to a halt.
  • Good for you Kevin. Family more important! Modeling can take a back seat.
    I as well may take a break for a while :smiley:
  • the long beach is under attack.
    MAYDAY! MAYDAY! NOW BATTLESTATIONS PORT AND STARBOARD!theomonster
  • Now that's funny. Playing boats with grandson Kevin??
  • more like trying to keep him from destroying everything. the little guy keeps me on my toes.
  • ltrs is on hold while i wait for brett to send me some parts, so as usual, i looked for a diversion. i figured norton's needed a waterfront bait shop, so i built this.

norton's bait

norton will sell bait, tackle, hot dogs and cokes out of this little stand.
    by the way, it's a kit. i didn't scratchbuild it. i built this kit in n scale once, and thought it would make a perfect stand for bait.

• parts mailed last Friday!

Love that little stand, reminds me of a fruit or bait stand. perfect use of it.
  • it wasn't completely on hold. i added the sculptamold to the base. i added a cream, black and brown acrylic paint to it (because i had it on hand) to eliminate the stark whiteness.
    sculptamold 1

sculptamold 2

after the 2nd pic was taken i went back over it and filled in the gaps where i had to add back three pieces of foam.
    now it's on hold.
  • edited June 2021
    update on the bait stand. the thing comes with these awful peel and stick "boards" for the base.

(reminder, this is not a SierraWest kit.)

peel and stick baseboards
    i couldn't bring myself to use them, so i took a few scale 1x6, 1x8 ande 1x10s and gave theme texture and then hit them with some silver wood after adding quite a bit of white shoepolish to the stain. after it dried and hit it with 220 sandpaper it turned out pretty good. here the stand is being glued to the base.
    bait stand 1

bait stand 1
    bait stand 2

bait stand 3
    norton's billboard

and here's the billboard that came with the kit. kinda jumps out and says bar mills doesn't it? the trim "boards" (more peel and stick stuff) is 'awkward' so i'll trim it out with stripwood instead.
  • It amazes me the difference using hobby plywood vs stripwood. I'm working a "other brand" kit for a friend that uses the hobby plywood for things like the window and door casings. I had to toss them and use stripwood too. It doesn't stain the same, the grain runs the wrong way on parts, etc. Brett has spoiled us with his kits.

BTW your bait shop and base look great Kevin.....Rick
  • thanks rick. i'm almost finished with it; i applied a tar paper roof last night and tonight i'll work on weathering it.
    indeed, we are spoiled. that said, i don't anticipate building too many other kits that aren't swsm kits.
  • This is really looking great Kevin. Good call on the stripwood swap out.
  • Thanks emery! this is my second go-around with this kit. i built it n scale once. i think it was like an inch wide. lol.
  • Good choice making your own decking
  • edited June 2021
    here's the rolled roofing that came with the kit. (not sierra west)
    i don't understand it. the rolled roofing has 'nail holes' that are supposed to be along the bottom of the course, and any roofer worth his salt knows that you don't nail the bottom of the course. i used to think that art's models were the gold standard until i stumbled on swsm, but this is just dumb.
    rolled roofing from kit

i built up the back of the billboard last night so it wasn't just plain plywood.

back of bilboard
    i'l probably end up painting the back the same color as the front,

and this is how i epoxied the smoke jack.
    (i knew i'd find a use for the extra set of hands thing.)

epoxying the smoke jack
  • Several manufacturers have laser cut the roofing like that. It's a stylistic approach that is very different from mine. Not wrong, just very different!
  • Hey Kevin, great job!
    As far as the roofing material you posted, I agree with brett.
    Have used on other kits and would rather use the tar paper for a better effect.
    Just my opinion.

• thanks pap,
    i just can't get past the nails being on the bottom of the tar paper course. N0 ONE with a half a brain would ever dream of doing that. if i was to see someone else's model of astructure and it had that particular 'tar paper', i would really struggle to bite my tongue and not say anything. it's the actual antithesis of roofing. mind boggling to me.