visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• edited May 2021
    after staining them in the mixture brett calls for for staining the boards, i let them dry for a few days and then hit them with the brushes and razor blade for texture. then i did knot holes and wood chalk colors. then drybrushed 4 tan colors from light to dark, and then a light gray drybrushing. it turned out looking exactly like an old loggers cabin we stumbled across while canoing/fishing on jean lake in quetico provincial park, ontario. i wish i had pictures of it.
    the windows opening out made more sense to me.
  • i managed to get the base done yesterday.base

i added 1/2" foam to the base, and then added the top 1/2" giving me a total elevation.
  • Nice coloring on the walls. You have a steep grade on your base. Will you use a retaining wall of some type?
  • i havent made that decision yet, but i probably will.
  • actually bryan, its no steeper than the instruction book calls for. it's just a higher elevation, but still only 1/2" grade.
  • Either way I think it will look great. The section by both ends of the peninsula looked steep.
  • I am glad you posted this Kevin. I have not opened up the box yet to see that topographical detail. You just saved me from making a very large mistake when adding the base foam in that area of the railroad. Thanks for sharing.
  • bryan , now i see what you mean. between sculptamold and vallejo earth texture i can make is as gradual as i want to;
    emery, glad i was of help.
  • Kevin the wall look great. I'd love a couple of close ups to better appreciate the wood detail.
  • Joel said:

Kevin the wall look great. I'd love a couple of close ups to better appreciate the wood detail.

joel,
    there are some close ups on the previous page.

• Kevin, love the walls and your stories. You're really motoring on this build. Great job. Phil
  • edited May 2021
    i had to do some patch work on the base. good thing i hadn't emptied my trash can in a couple of days, cuz all the foam pieces i cut off of it to shape the top layer were in there so i was able to lay it out again with the correction written on the 'jigsaw' pieces and recut and glue them in their places
    puzzle pieces

and i got to a place where i'm pretty happy with the coloration of the floorboards. here they are staged with the front and side walls.

floorboards and 2 walls

suggestions appreciated fellas.....
  • Floorboards look great.
  • thanks bryan.
  • Kevin,
    The coloring of the wood walls outside and inside walls and the floor boards is awesome.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Cleared for takeoff! Good colors inside and out.
  • Kevin, great work !!
  • i thought i'd pull over and grab some pics of a bulldozer.
    for our reference....
  • thanks alco and chris!
  • i epoxied the floorboards to the base.
    floorboards expoxied my lines on the base are off. i used the cutout template to be sure of the width. you can see a last minute correction bottom left, but the next step will take care of that.
    in a couple of hours i'm going to hit themn with some 220 grit sandpaper and then start applyiing the dirt. i gotta swipe some pantyhose.....
    also started on some of the details. i started a bunch of barrels too...

details prior to dusting

crappy picture; i'll get better pics after i tone the color down with chalks.
  • edited May 2021
    i have a couple questions,
    at what point does the base get painted, and
    where in the hell does a fella find 4" high ties? never mind, i just ordered some 4 x 8s from northeastern scale lumber. along with some 4x4s and 2x4s to replenish stock.
  • The castings look really good.

I'd paint the base now. I like to put on a first coat early on to cut down on the chances of getting paint on the structure. I use a flat brown "dirt" color and sprinkle in some dirt dust while wet as my base coat.
  • Castings looking good from here.
  • Some really nice detail paint work there Kevin. It looks wonderful already.
  • bryan,
    thanks. I'll be hitting hoblob later today to grab some paint and i'll paint the base tonight.
    alco and emery, thanks. i still have to dust 'em up to cut the color. what great castings these things are......
  • Stuff all looks great...I was doing some painting of my details for the tractor repair just last night...I like you choice of colors....hoping to get some more work done tomorrow night....time is tight as of late..
  • I had a qt of flat brown paint mixed up one time. I told the guy at the paint counter that it really looked like dirt. He gave me a dirty look so I told him that looking like dirt was a good thing.
  • i had some brown and black, so i mixed them together and got an okay color out of it and painted the base last night and worked the dirt into the floorboards. two sandings last night, and i'll sand it a bit more tonight i hope. i have a zoom meeting at 7 so i might not be able to. good news is, i start a short vacation after my meeting wednesday night.
  • here a pic of the floorboards after dirt and two sandings:
    flloorboards with dirt

and here's one of brett's beer bottles painted with tamiya clear green
    heineken
  • Very nice that bottle. Try to find a label to put on.