visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Main Street Warehouse #206 - in O scale. Karl.A

Comments

• While I was typing and posting I re-did the side walk and added in a slope for delivery trucks.
    This eliminates the need for a wooden 'step up' as I had originally planned.
  • Looks Awesome Karl! Thanks for sharing...
  • Thanks Alan,
    I think I'm just gonna stare at it until tomorrow before I glue anything down just to be sure. I'm 99.9%, but fresh eyes in the am will confirm it. After that I can make some progress tomorrow evening.
  • Just incredible, so much to examine. You hardly leave time to appreciate one amazing scene before bringing on the next.
  • isn't that the truth....?
  • Thanks Joel, I'm trying to stay consistent.
    I'm still happy with the sidewalk so I can move forward this evening, I'll try to keep you up dated so you can keep up... haha.
    Sidewalk first, then base dirt, then detail painting while that all dries. Then... we'll see...
  • edited March 2021
    Just aint feeling it tonight, been watching more TV than modeling, prob because I was waiting for dirt to dry and that was messing up my 'flow'.
    Anyways, I got the base layer of dirt down, the sidewalk installed and base weathered, also got the details painted and weathered. Here's some of them.

More tomorrow.
  • Progress! I bet you can feel the finish line......Rick
  • Indeed Rick, but,
    I'm just slowed down and enjoying the journey for now.
  • Looking great as always. Love the chain instead of rod for the porch roof support.....Rick
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks Rick.
    The chains aren't glued in at the top yet which is why they sag a little in the previous pic, I'll glue them in, tight at the end, I keep bumping them right now. I pushed them tight (again) for this pic.

• Your standing seam roofing looks real. How'd you get that rusted in the center effect, surrounded by the gray coloring? Did you use chalks to achieve it?
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks so much Tom,
    I tried to replicate some proto pics, here are a couple of them, I got close, then maybe went too far, then wasn't completely happy with it.

Because I haven't been really too thrilled with it is why I haven't shown it too much. Also that's the reason it isn't glued down (and hence always looks crooked) and also why I haven't added the flashing, cap or finished the stack.

But, here's how I did it.

Etched very lightly to get rid of the shine, usually works but this time it left black marks.
    So, I sprayed it with grey primer. I didn't like the shade of primer when dry.
    So, I painted it with a grey craft paint using a brush. Still not happy with the look.
    So, I brushed the grey with 408.3 chalk, that seemed better to me.

For the rust effect,
    I dabbed on burnt umber with a tiny sponge (almost dry) down the center.
    Once dry, I dabbed on burnt sienna to cover about 1/3 of the umber.
    Once dry, I dabbed on some raw sienna highlights for new rust.

Then, once dry I dusted it with some rust chalk.

As I noted, I'm not 100%, so not glued down yet, but, it is growing on me.
  • the roof looks excellent.
  • Looks great, good ole Mother Nature at work lol
  • Thanks for the explanation. The effect is what I see so often on metal roofing. Rusted in the center and are more gray along the edges. The effect on yours is spot on in my opinion. The color on yours is perhaps too brown it needs more orangish coloring from burnt sienna with raw sienna highlights.
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks Kev, Dick and Tom.
    I did use burnt sienna, not sure why I originally typed nutmeg, that's what I use for wooden tool handles, I musta been thinking of doing an axe or something.
    It does look more orangey in person.
  • No progress this weekend, but, I did assemble and paint the old gate.
  • the gate looks great.
  • Yup, very realistic. Have to archive this pic for future reference. Makes me wish I was more observant about what’s around me...
  • edited March 2021
    I am a big believer in looking at real examples of weathering. A lot of people go way too far....others not enough. I always ask myself.....how old is the structure supposed to be...how well do the "little people" that own and run the place keep it up.....and one thing I've noticed on some layouts....the direction the "weather" comes from is not always consistent on a layout. You need to pick an area to call "north" on your layout....or at least keep all the heavy weathering coming from "one direction". All that said....I think you have a really good look on that roof.
  • Thanks Kev, Alan and Art,
    added the hinges and lock to the gate and glued it on.
    I'll redo the lock once the gate is dry.

Finished dio pics later...

• A lock? Are you kidding me? I gotta convert to O scale!
  • You fab up the lock....?
  • heheheheh.....
    yeah, we have locks.
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks Alan, no need to convert, just do both....
    I have made them in the past Art but this is a rare SW casting, adjusted.
    Yeah Kev, credit to you, I was always gonna have the chain, but, you pushed me to go find a lock as well.
  • edited March 2021
    A few minor, final things to adjust, fix, add, but, I'm calling it done, for now.

• Absolutely gorgeous Karl. ......Rick
  • Thanks a lot Rick, appreciate your comments. I'm resizing some more pics now, more shortly.