visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Main Street Warehouse #206 - in O scale. Karl.A

Comments

• I can't believe I go to sleep and wake up and you've done all this. And not only that but done to such a level of detail. Fantastic work. Another 20 minutes and you should be done.
  • Lot's of talent there young man!! Great job!!

Jerry
  • It is looking just fantastic Karl. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Love all the details! Great placement and selection. Amazing amount of progress in just one session, but when you're on a roll... I agree with Phil the tarps do stand out. Perhaps grunge them up a bit.
  • Fantastic work Karl...I have been taking a tack like you...sitting back looking at what I've done over the past few days and thinking.....your diorama has given me some ideas as to where my truck/tractor/boiler repair project needs to go.....I really like the tar paper structure....may emulate it it bit....I need to find some more boilers and/or parts thereof to do a similar yard scene. Alas no photos as my camera is glitching....soon fixed I hope....
  • edited March 2021
    Thank you all so much for your great comments they are really appreciated and encouraging. So good to read you all.
    Took me a little nap today while the dirt was drying and woke up to see everything was pretty much looking good at this 'stage 2'.
    A few things to fix looking back at the pics and a journey still ahead, so I decided to start with the work shed.
    I'll go back and reply/answer any specifics later, and TomMich, I'm not ignoring your question from page one, I really will 'circle back' and give you that info.

So, the tar paper shed, I popped off the epoxied support wires for the crooked smoke stack from the roof and straightened that sucker out.
    Next I added the flashing to the porch roof and fixed those marks on the wall above the window and to the right of it.
    I started adding the next level of detail to the shed porch, a few more things to start filling out the spaces.
    Now that the dirt was dry I also started weathering the dirt and adding some shadows and blending in some of the details that stood out.

Thanks for your keen eye and honesty Phil, you were right, fairly OK in person but they do stand out in pictures, and honestly, under these lights in person too. I put a few coats of dark A&I on the tarps today to darken them down, I'll probably try a few more coats and some chalk tomorrow. After that if we're still not happy I'll pull them off and just start over.
    As always your comments are valued and appreciated, keep them coming.
  • edited March 2021
    Pretty much the same angle for these two pics, kinda interesting to go back and compare them, one was from last night the other from earlier tonight after I did a little work on the scene.

There are 17 things that I fixed/added/changed.... can you spot the differences ?

Last night...

Tonight...
  • I count 13 detail items added, flashing, 2 touchups on the wall and shadowing. We all thought it was amazing before the changes. Now, WOW! So much more visual eye appeal. Man am I humbled.....Rick
  • And the hits keep on coming! Great job. I really enjoy your craftsmanship...and speed!
  • Good spotting Rick, thanks.
    Thanks Alan.

Worked on another area a little this afternoon, I think it still needs 'something', but, I'm going to leave it alone and move on for now, hopefully an idea will hit me.

• Karl, Amazing how the shadows make the details stand out. Never thought about doing that. Will definitely keep it in mind. I especially noticed it along the wood porch. As for the last photo there appears to be a void under the workbench. Perhaps some details showing under it would help.
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks Tom.
    I like adding the shadows, (it is in my detail painting thread too), I just finished adding them around the pipe pile on the dirt, nicely adds some depth.

I painted and weathered some things for under the bench, here you go Tom...

Damn thats a close up shot... haha
  • edited March 2021
    Oh, I had also previously added some 'tufty's' around the pallets and barrels, here is a wider shot.
    Much better, thanks Tom.

(Wider shot is much better for my comfort zone.... :wink: )
  • I've also added quite a few smaller things to the junkyard along with some weathering and adjustments.
    I've darkened down the tarps ALOT with a&i following some great advice confirming my own niggling feeling, thanks Phil !! They are now looking alot better, they still look a little light in the pics under all these work lights, but in person much better, we'll see how they look in some outdoor shots and adjust some more if needed, thoughts?

Two things to ignore in these pics, the funky look going on with the porch decking, that's some strange lighting effect caused by my work lights. Also all the little white flecks, that's just grout dust as I'm working around, that will all get dusted off as I get closer to finishing the area.

• I so want to comment, but am just speechless........Rick
  • edited May 2021
    Oh come on Rick, I can take it, haha,
    There are 7 immediate things (which is all I see) that I should redo on this last close up pic of the bench, well, 8 if I'm honest with myself. Maybe I'll go back to it, but I doubt it, well, maybe after I finish everything else, that whole bench is under only 2" long, take my glasses off and it looks perfect.

I'm gonna go grab a snack, but, here's my project area for tonight...

• Nothing really exciting for this area, when its dry I'll go back and add weathering, blending and some smaller things.

• Going so fast usually leads to shortcuts and compromises, yet your modeling is beyond amazing. You are still getting near perfection in color, arrangement, believability, etc., etc., etc. I have no idea how you do it......Rick
  • Karl,

The corrugated roofing.. did you post how you do that anywhere? I havent had much luck and need to figure that out pretty quick if i plan on ever making any industrial... :blush:
  • edited August 2022
    Thanks Rick,

... I have no idea how you do it......Rick

Practice, planning and preparation...

Practice:- When you're lucky enough to have painted thousands of Brett's incredible castings, they don't seem to take so long.
    Planning:_ Work out the area with bare castings so you know what you need and exactly where they are going, take a pic or 5 so you know where to put them back later at the final stage.
    Preparation:- Paint and pre-weather what you need so they are ready to be placed when you work on the scene.

Don't be afraid to go back to an area or detail if you're unsure about something and redo it if you need to, don't let that stop you starting.

(I need to redo the ground infront of the shelf unit, it should have been bare, dry dirt... no biggie)

• edited March 2021
    Alex, I don't think I've described that method here.
    If you have the O scale BlueSky kit my method is outlined in the manual for the tractor shed roof.
    If you don't, SteveCuster also asked earlier in this thread, I replied that I'd post the process next time I do it.
  • Shaping up quite nicely. All of the attention to detail in each mini scene is making a grand statement.
  • Looks amazing Karl!
  • Great work! Love your use and placement of details. The clutter under the workbench removes the dark void and adds some interest. The different size barrels in the corner with the leaning pallets is a great little scene!
  • Karl, the tarps look a whole lot better. Now they are to the superior quality of the rest of your build. Amazing speed and results. Phil
  • How about a burn barrel? A pile of empty Coronas?
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks for all the great comments everyone, really appreciated to read.
    Thanks for the initial input on those items Tom and Phil, extra eyes are always helpful, and gratefully received, good thoughts Alan, no space for a burn barrel on this one, some empty coronas may be appearing soon.

The most humbling thing about doing an upscale scratch build is realising that I'm just copying.
    Remembering that Brett has already originally done this scratchbuild, but in HO...
    This always hits home when I get to a tricky item and think, "How the hell can I do/replicate that ?". Then I remember that Brett has already done it, half the size !!! Also he designed it in a way that makes it posible for hundreds of modelers to buy the kit and also do it, just as well.

Sharing my thoughts as I hit a tricky spot, and a quick nod of appreciation and admiration to "the big guy".

I took last night off from this, working on something else, back to it tonight and hit a wall, hence my thoughts, up dates later.
  • edited March 2021
    Pictures of the item that led to the previous post... a louvred vent, I had it figured out but had put off doing it, I'm getting to the end of this build so no more time for delays or excuses.

"Git 'er dun"
  • edited March 2021
    The last side of the diorama, there were many back and forth's in my head on this area, the original paved road?, a dirt road?, raise the structure?, lay a foundation?, .... etc, etc... a 10 year thoughtful tough decision, I've finally settled on a compromise, I'm hoping it works out.

The starting point tonight, and actually right now.
    A quick, different view of the scrap yard, from the front of the dio
    Template for the concrete area.
    Template transfered to stiffer card and curb stone added
    Planning out the details, some left over from other areas, some scratched, and some new.

I'm not happy with the sidewalk right now, time for some adjustments...