visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Main Street Warehouse #206 - in O scale. Karl.A

Comments

• Your brickwork is outstanding. Love the doors and windows too...
  • Best Diorama Doors of the Year Award for sure!
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of the comments. I'm really pleased with the doors and windows and thankful I was able to salvage and repair the original windows. I always loved the way they came out, and the rust texture on the doors.
    Time for me to go get some refreshments and then return to work on the yard tarpaper shed and scene.
  • I've got the 'work shed' pretty much done, I'll need to get it on the base to glue everything down obviously, but, that's the easy part,
    for me working things out and placement takes all the time, I'm 99% happy with this, I'm sure a little will change as it gets glued down, but not much.

Now I can move on to finishing the main barn structure...
  • edited March 2021
    Worked on my favorite thing tonight, rafter tails and fascia boards...
    I also added the deck bracing, while I was waiting for those to dry I got bored so I painted the smoke stack which I built last week for the brick building.
    (It's painted black, but, the strong lights make it look silver.)

As I noted earlier in this thread,, I want to replicate the HO kit as closely as I can, so,
    here's the HO version, and the steps I took to come close to the original, with what I found in my drawers.

• edited March 2021
    Time for a break, food, bed

see you tomorrow...
  • that's some great modeling!
  • Indeed it is.
  • Amazing, as always.
  • Thanks so much Kevin, Robert and Joel, much appreciated.

I just got the rafter tails finished, went around and made/added all the door handles, finished and glued down most of the roof details and then touched up all the white 'chips' in my brickwork.

So, now its time to clear the desk, get the base out and start putting all this together and finally move it onto the finished shelf...

• Absolutely love the tarpaper shed!
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks man, I really appreciate that, it was a sticking point of the build for a long time, as you know.
    I'm really happy with it now and looking forward to how it will look in the scene, hopefully some diorama construction this evening.
  • Ok, desk cleared, scenery out, plans in my head and time for an evening of "dirt and details".
    It's time to start gluing things down, fun time !!

• off to a great start. keep on chooglin'.....
  • Thanks Kevin, working my way along the fence line.

• Wow, that's looking great. Hardly wait for the glue to dry so I can appreciate the colors more. Where's the empty Corona bottles going to be on the diorama?.....Rick
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks Rick, you and me both.
    In the trash cans of course...

• edited March 2021
    Yes, I'm trying to post about every hour, to keep me motivated, when I get to a stopping point.
    I know most of y'all are asleep, but, it's helping me.

(just ignore that crooked stack on the shed, pretend it's straight 'till tomorrow, convince yourself it's just the camera angle, that's what I'm doing...)
  • Karl, just keep on doing what you're doing, it looks just incredible..!!!!! Beautiful composition of all the 'stuff' lying around and sunk in the dirt.
  • edited March 2021
    Thanks so much Robert, I had hoped you would look in during the middle of my night, yet it's your early morning. I appreciate your kind words.
    I've got the main yard area done, which was my goal for tonight, I'm really happy so far.

So much so I may move on to the next area... I think I'll grab a beer and a break, but, I'm in the mood to keep going.

Here's a quick look at tonight's progress... obviously still a lot of wet glue and still much more to fix/finish.

so far...
  • An hour or so break, an egg and bacon sammich, and of course some thinking time...
    now it's time to move on.

• edited March 2021
    Sorry man, I really, REALLY tried several things to replicate the big tire pile for this area but, nothing worked good to look good in O'scale, about 6 months ago I decided to give it up and just let it go.
    Here's what I came up with instead... still basic, but, a little more to add.

• that's looking fantastically messy. very authentic looking.
  • Well, I guess it's time to put the coffee pot on and get some caffeine...

• I am awestruck at what you can do. Incredible modeling. Composition, coloring, weathering; just no words for it all......Rick
  • Looks great all around
  • I am awestruck at what you can do. Incredible modeling. Composition, coloring, weathering; just no words for it all......Rick

Join the rest of us!
  • Karl, you really pulled this together quickly and it looks great. Not to hold back on you, the tarps on the tanks bother me a bit. I asked myself why ... I guess they stick out a bit and you taught me that you don't want any one element in the diorama sticking out. Maybe if they were darker, they would blend in better. BTW, the texture of the tarps are wonderful. Of course, this is your build, but I wanted to give you my honest feedback. I'll shut up now. Phil