visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Next up

Following the recent completion of Scotia Supply Company, and in keeping with my plan to build each an every SierraWest Scale Models kit in the order of release, my sights are set on the Engine House at Eureka Springs released in October 1996. I haven't started the actual thread yet as this one is just called "next up". Eureka Springs, as this project will now be referred to, was Brett's third kit. I have previously built, and featured here on the forum, Brett's first kit which was the BlueSky Company Warehouse and his second kit Scotia Supply Company which was just finished up a few days ago and posted here.

I have an idea for this build that I'd like some opinion on. Eureka Springs is a backwoods locomotive engine house and maintenance facility, not unlike it's congener the Loco and Service Shops kit which was released in October 2012. I built the Loco and Service Shops a few years ago and have to say it is and was an absolutely amazing kit. Still my all time favorite build. When contemplating my upcoming Eureka Springs build, I felt there were going to be many similarities in how I would want to detail this kit being very similar to the Loco and Service Shops kit from an operational standpoint.

Let me regress a bit, and Brett can correct me if I make any errant assumptions! Brett and SWSMs has been in innovator in fine scale modeling from day one. What sets Brett apart, aside from just about everything, from the others was his introduction of high quality, highly detailed resin castings. That quality an innovation has continued to this day including the top of the line resin castings. However, the philosophy regarding the use of resin castings has changed over the years. During the early years, the large group castings were state-of-the-art in the modeling world and modelers flocked to get their hands on these wonderful castings with that demand continuing today. Brett, having the foresight and vision regarding the modeling world and his customers, began getting away from large group castings and transitioning to more individual detail castings. The use of individual castings allowed the modeler to create scenes that were more realistic and provided the modeler the means to create their own variations and scene composition. Group castings were still an asset to the modeler and demand was there but the evolution to the individual casting details was unmistakable. Brett realized this, or better yet predicted this, before most modelers did! Evidence of this transition is obvious in looking at the lineage of SWSM kits including the use of laser cut details, individual castings in both resin and white metal, and now with the 3D printing...can't ask more form a manufacturer than this!

Eureka Springs is Brett's third kit and the third manufactured with all resin castings. My thought is to honor Brett and his innovative use of all resin castings in his kits by building Eureka Springs utilizing only the resin castings supplied with the kit. I also have the Eureka Springs Boiler House mini kit that will be incorporated with the main Eureka springs kit. The mini kit has numerous resin castings as well. This would be a basic "out of the box" build with only those components of the kit being used in the build save for the scenic work. Thoughts....

Ken

Comments

• This would be a matter of what you want. To build it almost exactly as designed would honor Brett's original design. Ken, you have shown what can be done using the original as a starting point with Scotia Supply being a great example. I think that diversity also honors Brett showing the flexibility of his kits. I think you AND Brett win either way. Not to mention the rest of us.....Rick
  • Second that emotion!
  • Ditto. Can't get enough of Brett's kits or kit construction interpretations as applied by Ken.

Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Oh yeah, this is gonna be fun!
  • rock on master
  • I've always liked the look of this kit. In fact, some years back when Roger from Stoney Creek was supposedly going to upscale one of Brett's kits, I hoped it would be this one...or perhaps the machine shop. Anyways, I believe you should build your kit the way it pleases you. If you want an homage, do it. If you want to change it up with the best new printed castings, do it. No matter how you do it, it will be stellar I'm sure.

There are some great examples out there of upsized models that resemble this kit. Doug Ramos did an O scale and then there is the one on Sundance Central. Both inspirational builds.
  • edited December 2020
    Hmmm....building the kits in the order of release....I’m thinkin’ the compiling of a book here as you move up the list....

As far as building strictly per Brett’s original concept....well, that will be fine but when I think back to some of your ‘inovative ideas you’ve used on various builds....the specific kit I don’t recall but when you began the water damage at the corner of the roof and carried the damage all the way to ground level...masterful.
    Or, on (Scotia?) when you altered the roof to add louvers at the eave height....
    I don’t always remember the kit but do remember the concept and have it referenced in my master list of “tips tricks and techniques “
    Sooooo, no matter how you build this or future kits, I know it will be a learning experience for me and many others....
    Let let the game begin
    Terry
  • Well this is exactly the kind of response I was going for! I appreciate the thoughts.

You bring up a very good point Rick, and one I have made in the past regarding the versatility of Brett's kits and how they inspire the modeler to make each build their own.

Al and Dave agree here as well, thanks.

Thanks Kevin.

Me too Bryan, it is a great design and I have seen variation as well. Huge compliment to Brett. Hear that Brett?...thanks for your support on this project early on.

Geesh Terry, what a nice thing to say. You, and the crew here, have me re-thinking my initial plan, which was the whole point of this post! My dilemma is...on the flip side I would want this build to be fresh and unique. However, many of the scenes would be similar to my Loco and Service Shops build as they are both basically the same conceptual operation. I would not want it to appear that I just took what I did with the Loco Shop and applied it to Eureka Springs.

Dilemma??? good grief, this is a blast!...and such a fun part of a build of a SierraWest kit...THE PLANNING. Keep it coming while I paw through the Eureka Springs kit and plan some more.

• A wonderful idea Ken!! With Brett's casting new or old this will be another beautiful build!!

Jerry
  • Ken, I'm with you - you do not want to make it similar to the Loco and Service Shop. Since it is Brett's third kit, why don't you show that Brett's earlier kits can be easily built with the more recent techniques and tricks. Don't be hesitant to add some of that Karns flair that we have all come to expect. Phil
  • Ken, I am with Phil, Make it your own. You have shown your ingenuity with your builds like you did on Scotia Supply, and you can make the details look different from the Loco and Service Shop. Yes, and I would use the recent techniques that have been introduced over time. Goof Luck!
  • Ken, I look forward to your build, however you decide to proceed. I had this kit on my next SW build, but have gotten waylaid with other projects. Your creativity with these kits is very inspiring. I'm sure you will come up with an inspirational build.
  • Thanks Jerry contemplating the decision...

Appreciate the note Phil and the decision is getting easier...

Thanks for your input Stephen the decision is getting much easier...

Thanks Tom. As you know I'm not a fast modeler by any stretch, so if you decide to start your Eureka Springs you'll either start before me or quickly pass by! Lol...would be cool to have a couple going anyway!

Decision made...I'm going all in and just build Eureka Springs as I would approach any of my other builds. too many cool ideas I have already to hold back on anything!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful support and comments...love it!
  • That's what we were all hoping for. I have one to build some day so will be watching with great interest.....Rick
  • Great decision. I can't wait to see what you do. Phil
  • I like the idea that you will build the kit as true to form adding in your special touches. Brett has always supported the concept of making the kit your own. He provides the starting point and all so much more...and he sees that each modeler has a vision too. I am sure you will again make this kit in the "It looks realer than real" category. I have followed your lead on my "O" scale kits in many instances. I may not post here much...as I tend to go from kit to kit working on several at the time it seems. As I type this I am looking at a barely started Sawmill.....a half way done O'Neills.....a combination of the Tractor repair and truck repair that's pretty far along......and a Foundry waiting for the next installment.....I promise photos will come soon....as I plan to finish the "Combo" soon. Meanwhile....I'm making some popcorn....pouring a few fingers of good single malt Irish whisky....and watch you amaze us.....
  • Geesh Art, that's amazing all the projects you have started...I'm lucky to get one done a year it seems! Lol. Appreciate your take on this and as I mentioned, I agree exactly with what you're saying...just needed some moral support!
  • The sawmill...has been "started" for 5 years....the placement on the layout is the big road block as haven't even stared the area it will live in yet....the others are part of my normal method of not getting burned out on a long project.....having 2-3 things in progress is a way for me to step back for a little bit....and the other sad fact is...even with the CoCo Ten Niner giving everyone scads of time...as a firefighter I still stay too busy. I just don't get time to model as much as I would like....in fact...I haven't been in my shop for 3 months until today. This past summer was a major outdoor shed project. So....I watch what all of you guys do...and scheme on what I want to model.....getting into the cold months now...I plan on finishing a few models.....
    As for moral support....go with the flavor Brett intended.....and Grunge it accordingly....
  • I plan on printing up whatever you do and copying pretty closely. Lol
  • Makes sense Art...I get so wrapped up in the one project I have, can’t imagine having several!
    Stay healthy and safe!

Appreciate the support Mike. By this weekend I’m going to layout the framing and start one experimental wall to test my planned exterior finish/color. Also, the kit calls for framing the studded wall with square stripwood I think 3/32 or 3/64 (manual not in front of me). So much of the interior of Eureka shows I’m going to do my experimental wall with more prototypical 2x4 or 2x6 studs and see how it goes.
  • Look forward to how you grunge up this build! Glad you chose to interpret it your own way.
  • Thanks Tom and me too...the more I thought about the build the better I feel about the route I'm taking.
  • I think we are too!
  • The research has begun Tom...thanks for hanging with me on this one...keep in touch.
  • I will gladly follow along no matter what you build. I don't know that you need to box yourself into only using certain castings. Your imagination and skill are the only thing important. I'm excited to see your approach no matter how you proceed.