visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Occasional Random Thoughts and Stuff

Comments

• Yup, got that one also awhile back. Good for you, sounds like you're on top of things!
  • Ken, it appears you did have side effects from the shot! You have gotten a boost of energy to complete your workshop, and post photos of it and completed your Scotia diorama and post them. Now that's what I call a shot in the arm! ;-)
  • Hah Tom - true!
  • So you noticed that!...finding motivation in the strangest of ways...Lol.
  • I am mandated to get it thru FEMA for the USAR stuff....so I have no choice....we just got vaccinated last year for basically every illness imaginable.....29 separate injections....
  • IMG_0117

3D Printed O Scale 55 Gallon Oil Drums. Each drum hand "destroyed" to create a unique piece. Perfectly round, no parting lines, scale wall thickness. Well, at least until I trash them up! Painted and weathered using my usual materials and processes. The 3D resin behaves just like the resin I have been making my castings from for over 25 years. On sale on my website very soon. HO Scale goodness coming too.

IMG_0126
  • i can't wait for these new details to come available. they look great.
  • So cool
  • Can't have enough new details!
  • Brett,

Will you announce these new detail additions for 3D Printed items in the Weekly News section under a new heading 3D Printed, or in another manner?

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Beautiful junk !
  • My junk arrived! Talk about first class. The little parts bag was a really nice touch. I can't wait to get back to the bench to mess around with all these new goodies.
    Soon, as I am almost done laying track (220 ft) and finishing up all the feeder wiring.
  • Thanks Emery!
  • i'll be placing an order next week....
  • Eagerly waiting ho scale!
  • Brett,

Thanks for the amazingly quick turn around time between my order and receiving the resin castings. As always the SWSM craftsmanship is evident in the individual parts. The bottles, barrels and drums will make great additions to scenes.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • ho_drums

Working on HO Scale items for next day shipping.

Printed “a few” HO Scale 55 Gallon Oil Drums this weekend. Three different styles, absolute perfection. 3D printed details like these means no parting lines, perfectly round, scaled just right, stand flat and true. Paint and weather up just like my resin.
  • Brett, you know where to send them in Arkansas!! Phil
  • I'll take that one day supply! Now for the used junkers.
  • yeah Phil - got your addy... it's "in the mail"

Rick- junkers coming next!
  • i received my order of deteriorating barrels yesterday, along with some other items, and i couldn't wait to see how the barrels weathered up so i primed one with black rattle can paint.
    deteriorating barrel primed
    then after the paint dried i gave a good shot of chalk alcohol.
    deteriorating barrel chalked 1
    i hit it with more chalk/alcohol, and then added some chalk to the surface of the barrel and sprayed it with alcohol to set the pigment, and here's the finished barrel.
    deteriorating barrel finished
    they came in this cool sierra west bag
    sierra west bag

the barrel looks much better in person.
    and in case anyone is wondering about the blue thing, it's a detail holder for painting, and the head rotates 360 degrees. i have two extra heads and some extra holding putty. the gizmo is available at redgrass games. i also have their wet pallete.
  • Love the texture on the barrel
  • Kevin,

The barrel looks great. Phil
  • Turned out nice Kevin. I gotta get my order in.
  • edited January 2021
    better pics. i had to add some ash....
    barrel done 1

barrel done 2
    barrel done 3

barrel done 4

barrel done 5

i like these alot.

[edit] i spent many hours standing around a burn barrel in my buddy's back yard smoking cigarettes (at 13) while we burned these heavy wire cables his dad would bring home from work, to get the copper. barrel looked just like this one.
  • Looks great Kevin...really nifty castings. GeeWiz...I want a bag...):
  • All O Scale...I'm jumping in once 1:87 hits the market...will have to bag the bag idea until then!