visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Loco and service shop

Reaching the end of the HO loco and service shop build. It has been a while since I posted any pictures so I am relearning how its done. I made the roof sections removable without the rafters that get in the way of looking at the interior of the shop. Its been so long since I took a picture with my Canon camera I had to relearn how to do that too.

Some interior shots

IMG_0010

IMG_0008

IMG_0006

IMG_0004

IMG_0003

I have to build the components of the Donkey repair yard. Once those are finished I can "plant" everything on the layout and take some more pictures.

Comments

• Great build. Love the machine shop area.....Rick
  • Looks awesome
  • In HO ..? I couldn,t do that. Amazing work.
  • Nicely done....doing something similar in "O" scale.....
  • Very nice work on the castings!
  • Great job!
  • Taking a couple more interior pictures getting used to using my camera again.

IMG_0002

IMG_0015

IMG_0010 (2)

I realize the floor is very clean. That will change.

• this is really looking nice Mitch. Great job!
  • It’s really coming together nice Mitch. Looks great!
  • Wonderful Mitch. Love your last three pics especially!
  • Mitch, I'm loving this build. Such great detail. Phil
  • I would like to thank everyone for their encouragement.

The other components of this kit are built and I am waiting for turnouts to be delivered. Once I have laid the track I can install these structures near the sawmill. That will result in more pictures.

Phil- I may not comment on your O'Neills build but I do look at it. Your work space looks like a sterile operating room compared to my messy work table. I don't think I could be that organized. Your descriptions are thorough and anyone building O'Neills will be able to use it as a reference. I am sure that is what you intended and it looks like you are succeeding.

• Thanks Mitch. That is what I intended. Doing the tutorial is making me clean up after myself. Kind of like cleaning the house for company. Ha!! Phil
  • Great detail work Mitch. Anxious to see the beast all finished up!
  • Love the interior shots, fantastic stuff.
  • That looks incredible. Great work!
  • Scenery and details coming together.

Since this is part of a layout the track is code 83 flex track. The rails are painted with railroad tie brown. The ties are painted with desert sand craft paint and then alcohol innk stained. When you dust them up with real dirt they seem believable to me.

IMG_0018

IMG_0015

IMG_0015 (1)

IMG_0013

IMG_0012

IMG_0012 (1)
    IMG_0005 (1)

IMG_0003 (1)

IMG_0011 (1)

Great kit Brett! Enjoyed building it.

I have the donkey repair yard components assembled and painted. It will be installed between the engine house and the sawmill next. Pictures will follow.

• Nice job Mitch. I like your peeling paint.
  • Looks great. You may add some interest to the roof with a tarpaper/corrugated patch or 2. Also, a couple of the details stand out to me as "new" like a few of the barrels and tanks and the pair of screwjacks next to the open bin.
  • Really nicely done.
  • Mitch, very nice build. You did make the flextrack look very real and I also like the peeled paint effect. I'm sure you are glad to be finished. Congratulations. Phil
  • Indeed, we always learn. What a nice build. Hope to do this in O scale one day.... :wink:
  • I would like to thank everyone for their encouragement. My camera continues to make all colors brighter than they appear to my eye in person. I am too lazy to dull them down before submitting them though.

Before I post pictures of the donkey repair yard I would like to share something with the newer forum viewers that are not aware of this technique. It is what I use to color the boards and create a pealing paint effect. The Sierra West instructions are excellent in terms of creating a believable weathered piece of wood. Ken Karns did an excellent tutorial in enhanced techniques to make each board a model in itself. As I mentioned before if there is a short cut to do something I will take advantage of it. Anyone building the sawmill will appreciate this method when coloring all that wood. Those of you who bought the sawmill but have not built it will see a version of this technique using Floquil paint that is no longer available.

As with everything in modeling try a little at a time to get the hang of the technique and tweak the formula to suit your eye.

I add a teaspoon of black Higgens ink, a teaspoon of PH Martins sepia brown ink and a teaspoon of PH Martins vandyke brown to 15 oz. of 90% alcohol. I put the alcohol mixture into a disposable aluminum baking pan that is big enough to dunk the longest piece of wood. I open the Sierra West bag of wood and put it into the alcohol mixture. After a few minutes I begin removing the wood a little at a time to vary the color with the pieces that are are in the mixture longer becoming darker for variation. I set the drying pieces tipped on a piece of wood to keep the wood off a piece of newspaper catching the drips to dry evenly. Once dry I replace the wood in the bag it came from and proceed to the next bag.

When you are done coloring all the wood you can save the unused portion to make some of the boards darker if that is your preference.

Now the pealing paint effect.

IMG_0001 (2)

I use a sponge that has a small cell structure that is always soft. It is not like the ones used to wash dishes that are hard until water is added and has a large cell structure. I cut a little cube out of it to dab on the paint. I use Folk Art Vintage white paint but you should use whatever you prefer. The boards are colored using the ink stain method.

IMG_0003 (2)

I dip the sponge in the paint and dab off most of it. Then I tap the paint on the boards. I find this technique easier for me to control.

IMG_0005 (2)

I roughed up the bottom of two of the boards for a more weathered look and I put a generous coating of the same stain to the top of the boards. As you can see from the boards atthe top of the picture you can vary the amount of paint added infinitely.
  • Mitch, thanks for the tutorial. Good technique. I appreciate it. Phil
  • Another way to get a 'peeling paint' effect. I think there are about as much ways to create this peeling paint effect as there are modelers. We all are in search for the 'Holy Grail' A quick, easy ,cheap, effortlessly way to get this done... :smiley: :blush:
  • Wonderful take on a great kit Mitch.
  • You can't have too many tools in the tool box. Nice technique.
  • Couldn't spell peeling right in the previous post. Had typed it in correctly and changed it, sorry. It is peeling not pealing!

The donkey repair yard is planted between the loco shop and the sawmill. I know everything is close to the large sawdust pile but my layout space has its limits. Too many kits to fit eventually fit in. Railroad camp will be behind the sawmill and next to the donkey repair yard.

IMG_0013 (3)

IMG_0016

IMG_0014 (1)

IMG_0012 (4)

IMG_0003 (3)

IMG_0002 (2)

IMG_0005 (5)

The log cars are Beaver Creek brass models I bought in the 80's. Wish I would have bought more.

Thanks for looking at my pictures.
  • Your blending the scenes together is great. It looks natural. Scenery is great as well. Very well done.....Rick
  • Great looking Mitch!