visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication - HO Scale - An in-depth tutorial for building SWSM kits

Comments

• That’s the key “I still enjoy” as long as you can say that, you’re doing it right!
  • Time for an update. I'm working on the Main Building Drive Under Canopy. Need to cut quite a few rafters. I found that if you use two-sided tape, you can make more consistent cuts.

IMG_3025

Below is a sequence of building the canopy.

IMG_3026
    IMG_3027
    IMG_3028
    IMG_3029

Pretty straight forward. Once this is completed, you need to locate the tarpaper you previously produced and cut pieces, using the template. The key here is to locate the breaks in the tarpaper at different locations.

IMG_3030
    IMG_3031
    IMG_3032

Once you have the tarpaper in position, you need to use several shades of grey chalk and weather the tarpaper.

IMG_3033

Now, for the fun stuff. Locate your extra pieces of corrugated metal and wood and place on top of the canopy. There is not one right way to do it. Use your creativity to make it look like you want. Below is my creation.

IMG_3037

Next time: Building the Drive Under Canopy Support.

Thanks for following. Phil
  • Very nice looking work Phil. I like the corrugated metal roofing effects and the asphalt roofing.
  • Thanks Steve.

Continuing to build all the support structures. I'm now working on the drive under canopy support. Again, always use your stripwood guides and double-sided tape to keep things square.

You first build the front view support structure.

IMG_3051
    IMG_3052

Then you place the front view structure upside down on the template to add the bottom view structure. I went ahead and added the cross beam to make it more stable.

IMG_3053

The toughest part is adding the bottom view beams. However, as you will see I had a little help to make sure the beam remained at the right angle.

IMG_3054

Then it's a matter of adding the side braces. Be sure you are at 90 degrees on all sides as you add the side bracing.

IMG_3055

The end result.

IMG_3057

Now, it's time to switch to template E.

Next time: Motor Sump Drive Through Canopy

• With great interest I might add.... :blush:
  • Awesome job Phil. I love this part of the build!
  • The open spindley look always catches the eye. Looking great as always......Rick
  • Thanks Robert, Brett and Rick.

I've now moved to building the Motor Oil Sump Drive Through Canopy. It's just like building the last canopy, but you will use Template E instead. Be very careful that you place the rafters in the right direction. The more pointy end goes against the stripwood guide.

IMG_3058

When adding the stringers, you will need to make certain marks on two of them. These marks will aid in adding the corrugated pieces in the next step.

IMG_3059

So I wouldn't forget, I glued the marked stringers on first.

IMG_3060

Then I added the rest of the stringers.

IMG_3061

Now, it's time to add the corrugated panels. You should have saved these panels from the last time you worked with them. They should already be primed and ready to weather. I did my usual rust paint job. I didn't spend a lot of time with each panel because I knew I would finish up the weathering once all the panels were in place.

Make sure you start by gluing the first panel on the stringer opposite the roof side of the structure. BTW, I use canopy glue to put on my panels because ... well ... it's a canopy!!!
    Get it!!!. LOL Actually, I like the canopy glue because it is flexible. Also, I use a lot of glue because any excess glue will be on the bottom of the canopy and will not show. I also put a weight on the panels after gluing and make sure the glue is dry before starting the next row of panels. Just be sure to follow Brett's instructions about the overlap of each panel.

IMG_3062

Here is my finished canopy. I intentionally didn't want each panel to perfectly line up with each other to make it more authentic.

IMG_3063

Next time: Motor Oil Sump Drive Through Support.

• The staggered panels add interest
  • Thanks Brian.

I'm now working on the Motor Oil Sump Drive Through Support. This involves multi-dimensional building, which can be difficult. However, this is where Brett's detailed instructions are wonderful and ensures everything is square. The purpose of my pictures is to add to what is already in the manual. Let me walk you through the steps.

First, you need to build two sump supports on template E.

IMG_3064

Second, you need to take the sump supports and spot them on the assembly - left view drawing and add a header and braces.

IMG_3065

Third, you need to build the drive through support. The amount of siding is up to you.

IMG_3066

Fourth, we are ready to put everything together. Here is what you need.

IMG_3067

Fifth, spot the drive through support to the template using the assembly - top view drawing. You will need your stripwood guides, machinist square, and 1,2,3 blocks.

IMG_3069

Sixth, using the cardboard assembly supports, glue a header to the drive through support. Be sure the header meets the support in the right location. DO NOT glue the header to the cardboard support. Let dry before going to the next step.

IMG_3070

Seventh, glue the other header to the drive through support. Again, let dry.

IMG_3071

Eighth, glue the sump support to the cross headers. Again, make sure the header hits the sump support at the right spot.

IMG_3072

Finally, remove the cardboard supports and add four braces.

IMG_3073
    IMG_3074

Easy Peasy!! Thanks Brett. The manual suggests adding signs at this time, but I am going to wait until this assembly is in place. The signs will be on the beams and I can see myself knocking them off as I move the assembly around.

Next time: The Tower Dock

• Have not commented much, but still following along intently. Thanks for sharing this with us Phil!! It really is a heck of a nice model coming together.
  • you're doing a great job on a great kit.
  • edited June 2021
    Great update Phil, excellent construction by yourself and as always a concise description of what makes these kits the best available.
    Un-rivalled instructions and guidance by Brett, followed and executed flawlessly by yourself. Perfect combination.
  • Great build Phil. Your warning is correct. I'm the guy who turns to look away and bump the assembly resulting in a few choice words and the need to repair the damage. That said, your precision is fabulous and added instructions really help......Rick
  • Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Phil
  • You are doing a great job with your tutorial Phil.
  • Thanks Steve.
  • Great build Phil. Your warning is correct. I'm the guy who turns to look away and bump the assembly resulting in a few choice words and the need to repair the damage. That said, your precision is fabulous and added instructions really help......Rick

i wish i had $1 for everything i've snapped off with a dumb move. i bet i could buy a ...........
  • Great Job Phil, looking forward for your updates
  • Thanks Kevin and Pappy. Phil
  • We now progress to the Tower Dock. We've done this before in the earlier parts of this build, so you can go back and review. Start with 1/32 x 5/64" strip wood and build the frame. Brett makes this super easy if you build it in the sequence he suggests on the template (see the numbers in the picture).

IMG_3075

Now, it's time for the decking. As I've told you before, the chopper makes it very easy to cut multiple cuts of the same length. Start by measuring one of the pieces of decking. In this case, we want the decking to extend beyond the frame by 1/32." I do this by cutting the decking next to the framing.

IMG_3076

Once you are satisfied with the length, take the stripwood to the chopper and set the guide to its length as shown below.

IMG_3077

Now you can quickly cut the number of pieces you need to complete the short part of the deck.

IMG_3078

Once you are done with the short length, repeat the above procedure for the longer length. You only need to weather one end of the decking, so take the time to make the ends look a bit frayed and weathered.

Next we start with the installation of the dock legs, my least favorite thing to do. However, it is a bit easier if (1) you make sure all of the legs are the same length, (2) each end is squared, and (3) you work slowly with a few legs at a time and let them dry before going to the next legs. This time it is a bit easier also because you have the frame to help keep the legs straight.

IMG_3079

Here is my dock with all the legs in place. I want you to notice two things. First, the weathering on the ends. I roughed up the ends and applied AI three separate times to get the look I wanted. Second, the slight discoloration between the boards to give the decking a bit more depth. This trick was a Ken Karn's suggestion, which is really effective. You get the look by slightly sanding the edge of each deck piece.

IMG_3080

Finally, just follow Brett's instruction and add the railing.

IMG_3081

To make sure everything was right, I placed the deck against the tower. It's fits perfectly.

IMG_3084

Next time: The O'Neills Motor Oil Tank Truss Assembly

Change templates to Template A. Thanks for following. Phil
  • That dock looks GREAT !!!!!
  • Thanks Robert. Phil
  • Fantastic work and instruction again!....Rick
  • Love the dilapidated siding. Looks great.
  • Thanks Rick and Joel. Phil
  • Great color variation on the deck
  • Thanks Brian.
  • edited July 2021
    Rotted, cracked, split clapboard yellow siding looks great and matches the aged white peeled vertical siding in age and deterioration perfectly, it all belongs together. Along with the aging on the deck boards it all looks as though it has been neglected and abused perfectly for the same amount of time.

I know it's a small thing, and you're not finished yet, but,
    one suggestion, if I may ?
  • Karl, I am always open for a suggestion. What is it? Phil